Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed airfit P10 headgear
Resmed airfit P10 headgear
Hi,

Am I the only one that seems to go through a headgear for the P10 every 3 months. At $90 each it is getting a bit expensive. I follow all the instructions, like washing it weekly with mild soapy water, but they just seem to lose their elasticity after 3 months. I would think I have a normal size skull so that's not the issue.  Is anyone else having this problem, and if not, how are you maintaining yours?

Thanks in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed airfit P10 headgear
I don't wash my headgear near that often. Mine has lasted over 2 years. also, I get about 6-8 months on a set of pillows.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can usually get the 6 months out of them . . . I presume you're using hot water to do your washes. I soak the strap under "not too hot for my hand" water, but a drop of dishwashing liquid on, scrub it in my hand, rinse and squeeze several times (until no more suds), then turn the water on full hot for a final rinse holding the ends and passing the strap under at least twice. Then squeeze out the water, lay it on a towel and press it inch by inch, turn it over and repeat, hang to dry. Once it is dry, it is usually very close to "new" on length and elasticity. It does get "worse" near the end of the 6 months or so, but it provides a good seal.
This is usually a once a week thing, though if I'm not having any sealing issues, I'll let it ride a few extra days.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wash my head gear once a month when I do my filters and mask frame.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was surprised that anyone would wash their headgear weekly. As a microbiologist i believe in good hygiene but such frequent washing seems unnecessary. So I looked at the manual for my F20 and it says to wash the headgear weekly with a warning that it is to prevent the growth of germs that can adversely affect my health.   My response is huh, what germs? The headgear is exposed to my body's flora and the microorganisms normally present in my bedroom.  If any of them are pathogens I'm already constantly exposed to them. I don't know of any pathogenic bacteria that will grow well on my headgear unless it really gets grungy. So I fail to see any threat associated with cleaning much less frequently than weekly.

I've been using my current headgear for about three months and it doesn't look at all  dirty.  Maybe it's time to wash it but I don't see a great need. In the 10 years I've been on CPAP I don't think I have ever washed headgear. I've usually just replaced it when I've replaced masks at 6-8 month intervals. I've had no bacterial of fungal infections is all that time.

I think Crimson Nape has the best approach. Don't wash it very often and save your $$$$.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-22-2017, 06:01 PM)chuck6161 Wrote: I follow all the instructions, like washing it weekly with mild soapy water, but they just seem to lose their elasticity after 3 months.

Can you use the clips to tighten the headgear? I've used my P10 headgear for over six months and never even had to use of the clips they sent along for this purpose. I washed my headgear every couple of weeks when I used it regularly. Also, apparently HOT water tightens it up. Maybe try that with an older set and see if it makes a difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just got a new mask and it came with the clips. I put them on my old headgear and they have it back to near new tension.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 20 1,452 03-17-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: mecutl3r
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,783 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,541 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 267 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  [Equipment] Hybrid mask discontinued, new AirFit 30 leaks! LessSleepyHalf 3 946 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  ResMed Airfit P10 ScottW 41 20,078 02-12-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: TexasDon
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 19 4,323 01-26-2024, 11:44 PM
Last Post: JoeP

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.