Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed autoset 9 Mask Fit
Resmed autoset 9 Mask Fit
Hi folks. Brand new to cpap therapy and this forum.

When I got the machine I couldn't breathe - minimum set too low. I found the instructions for accessing the clinician's menu here on the forum and wow, it's been a lifesaver. So I really appreciate this being available here.

On to my question. It seems to me that the auto mode on the Resmed Autoset 9 only starts to work when I use the Mask Fit feature first. If I simply turn the machine on without running the Mask Fit, the machine runs at the minimum pressure set in the clinician's menu. I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to work this way, and I'm guessing I'm probably missing something. So, is there a way to simply turn on the machine and have it start in Auto mode? BTW I currently have the Ramp turned off, if that makes a difference. Would appreciate any suggestions here. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed autoset 9 Mask Fit
Hi Rhymer,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for suggestions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Rhymer,

The S9 Autoset will adjust, but it doesn't do it quite the way I think you're thinking it does. It will start at whatever pressure it is set at for a minimum (or ramp up to that pressure if you use the ramp feature). If you're having apnea events, it recognizes those and adjusts the pressure to try to keep them from happening again. After a while, it tries to back off toward the minimum pressure again. The goal is the minimum pressure needed to keep the airways open.

Unfortunately, it doesn't recognize or compensate for when the minimum setting is making you feel like you're suffocating....you're breathing, and that's fine from it's algorithm's point of view. If the machine was set up with the minimum really low, you or your clinician probably need to bump it up a little so you're a bit more comfortable.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with PsychoMike -- it only goes above the minimum pressure if there are "flow-limitations" or "events". When it senses these things happening, it will bump the pressure up until the problem goes away (or it hits your maximum prescribed pressure), over time it'll slowly reduce the pressure until the problems start again (or it hits your minimum prescribed pressure).

Basically, the machines tries to stay at the minimum level -- but if there are issues it will increase pressures quickly. Looking at my data from last night, the S9 increased pressures from 12 to 15 in about a minute's time -- clearly from the data it actively prevented an apnea event by doing that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Gentlemen, thanks for your explanations of how this works. And I follow the logic of this.

I guess my only remaining question would be, when I use the Mask Fit feature, the machine goes into Auto mode as soon as the Mask Fit period finishes. The display shows automatic and the pressure ticking up. And though I'm just a few days into this, I believe it has done this every time. Any insights as to why that may be? Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe the Mask-Fit feature runs the machine at your maximum prescribed pressue level for 3 minutes -- giving you time to adjust the mask for the leaks (if you are going to have leaks, it is going to happen at your max pressure).

After the three minutes, I believe the machine goes straight to auto-mode, presumably starting at your minimum prescribed pressure (not 100% sure of this but I can check tonight).
Post Reply Post Reply
The Mask Fit feature will work slightly differently on an older machine than a newer one. On newer machines the Mask Fit will go straight to 95% pressure from the previous night (pressure the machine ran at or below 95% of the time) for 3 minutes and then return to min pressure when it switches to therapy mode.

The machine should drop to min therapy pressure when Mr. Smiley goes away if using Mask Fit and climb to it when the machine is turned on if not using Mask Fit. The machine should be doing the exact same thing within a few seconds of Mask Fit ending (Mr. Smiley going away) as it does within a few seconds after starting it without mask fit.

Sleep-well

Edit: FYI - On older firmware machines Mask Fit is at 10...so if your minimum pressure is higher than 10 the machine will raise to min pressure when Mask Fit ends.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tried it last night...

Mask Fit.. go: hello leaf blower, for three minutes.
Doesn't appear it respects the EPR setting during that time (would consider that a bug if verified). To me it felt like max pressure but it could've been 95% from the night before -- it didn't say what the pressure was when it was in that mode.

After 3 minutes, it immediately dropped to minimum therapy pressure (auto mode -- 9 for me). It ignored the ramp setting when switching, which makes sense.

I have the 907 firmware.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the replies. I switched to a different mask, and saw that when therapy was started without using Mask Fit, it did indeed go to the minimum and then go to autoset mode. Have no idea if changing the mask made a difference, or if it did, but anyway...

Appreciate your help with the newbie questions!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 52 1,367 Yesterday, 02:22 PM
Last Post: Pawpri
  ResMed mask settings - what changes in each type? skypony 9 16,894 04-03-2024, 12:04 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  [Treatment] ResMed Autoset 11 Settings Optimization anker9000 0 130 04-02-2024, 11:34 AM
Last Post: anker9000
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 194 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 587 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy
  ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and Oscar Bucktilley 4 272 03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bucktilley
Grin [Equipment] JOY! I've been swapped to a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (from a SEFAM S.Box) dbcpap 9 1,301 02-12-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.