Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

autonomic neuropathy
Ohmy 
autonomic neuropathy
Can you tell me if anyone has sleep apnea and also got autonomic neuropathy I ave both and am so scared dosnt give me much hope
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: autonomic neuropathy
(07-20-2013, 03:32 AM)mortigger Wrote: Can you tell me if anyone has sleep apnea and also got autonomic neuropathy I ave both and am so scared dosnt give me much hope

Are your apneas mostly obstructive or mostly central?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi mortigger,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for answers to your question and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Unless you have a central apnoea index, the two should not be much of an interaction. The thing is, autonomic neuropathy is a sort of catch all expression, the common thread being the damage to the autonomic nerves, but which ones and the causes can mean you have a very different experience form someone else with the same named disease. So, I appreciate you being scared about this, but a more detailed description as to the nature of your particular neuropathy and the ca/oa indexes would be needed to help answer you.

But if your neuropathy is not related to your breathing reflexes, then having a cpap will not have much to do with it. Take a deep breath (no joke intended) and rela, try and formulate the question in a way that we can attempt to help answer you, and I am sure there will be someone here who can share your experience and give you some thoughts on the subject.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-20-2013, 03:32 AM)mortigger Wrote: Can you tell me if anyone has sleep apnea and also got autonomic neuropathy I ave both and am so scared dosnt give me much hope

I have Central Apnea and Vascular Ehlers Danlos Syndrome which involves mild autonomic neuropathy. I have other autonomic issues including salt wasting and polyuria.

what caused your A.N?
Post Reply Post Reply

how is it you are not using a machine at all for your apnea? what was your AHI?

Post Reply Post Reply

Hi there, I have central apnea as part of first autonomic, but progressively also sensory and recently also motor neuropathies. I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (collagen disorder) and am on estrogen blockers for breast cancer... estrogen replenishes collagen and collagen protects nerves... so you can see my picture.

I'm winging it as well as I can, on ASV machine - VPAP Adapt.
I take 5g sodium and 5g citrulline a day which help me with the dysautonomia and improve respiration for me... also take 10,000 omegas as antiinflammatory and when that fails NSAIDs... all causes of autonomic central apnea are different but hope its at least helpful to you to hear from someone else.

Warmly,

Donna
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea and Neuropathy Johnsy17 10 2,563 10-24-2017, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.