Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed autoset s9 vs. s8 events?
Resmed autoset s9 vs. s8 events?
I've recently started using an s9; had been using an s8.
My AI displays approx .2 on either. However, on the s9 AHI is always reported as the same as AI (e.g., no hyp's); the s8 typically reported AHI in the vicinity of 1.2. Different event criteria, hire effective, or??
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed autoset s9 vs. s8 events?
Same here. Five years on an S8 and AHI averaged 4.0. Switched to an S9 and AHI is now averaging 0.3, most consisting of centrals. Better treatment or different way of measuring events, who knows?
Post Reply Post Reply
It is my understanding that the software innards of the machines changed a lot from the S8s to the S9s and are better able to determine what is what and when. Meaning the S9 would be more accurate.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2013, 01:21 PM)hobbs Wrote: Better treatment or different way of measuring events, who knows?
Maybe bit of both. Two different algorithm, S8 autoset does not increase pressure above 10 cm H2O when an apnea detected nor respond to hypopnea to avoid falsely responding to central hypopnea

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2013, 07:41 PM)zonk Wrote:
(11-09-2013, 01:21 PM)hobbs Wrote: Better treatment or different way of measuring events, who knows?
Maybe bit of both. Two different algorithm, S8 autoset does not increase pressure above 10 cm H2O when an apnea detected nor respond to hypopnea to avoid falsely responding to central hypopnea

I agree. These machines continue to get smarter with each generation.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the difference in readings is in the borderline apnea events. Every machine probably properly records the events where you completely stop breathing for long periods of time. The uncertainty is when you don't stop breathing completely. There's some uncertainty in determining what percent your breathing slows down and how long before you draw the line and say the apnea is over.

The important point is that the difference in AHI numbers may not really mean that much, because it's not the "strong" and long apneas that are being measured differently.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 13 405 3 hours ago
Last Post: stevew168
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 26 495 4 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Still tired and CA events liebano 1 41 6 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 125 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,406 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 273 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 121 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.