Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help - Rainout w/ a Heated Tube
Help - Rainout w/ a Heated Tube
I have a resmed airsense 10 and a heated tube.  My house temp this time of year is 70 deg F.  I am having problems with rainout even though I have  a heated tube. Any ideas on what to do to prevent rainout?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help - Rainout w/ a Heated Tube
I would recommend a hose cover to insulate the line. I have one on my ResMed heated hose and have had temps in the house as low as 65˚F or so with no hint of rainout. And a lot of water gets used up from the humidifier tank. So I'm sure the RH inside the tube is quite high and would be prone to rainout if not covered.

Also, the soft tube covers drastically deaden noise whenever the tube hits the headboard or anything else. Don't need anything fancy or expensive, just whatever color the wife finds pleasing.

Lastly, the ResMed heated hose is a bit longer than the standard hose. So about 6 to 8 inches of hose is uncovered on mine. I keep that uncovered portion towards the machine end.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
Not sure how you have your machine placed, but I have mine on a bedside stand that is the same height as the mattress. 

The hose runs up (70+ degree incline or so) to the top of our bed's headboard to a hose hanger / holder, then back down to my FF mask. No way can it have rain out like that. 

I too, use a hose cover and it's well worth the very affordable cost. Mine was like $7.00 or so, is black and fleece.
Post Reply Post Reply
I look at this another way: if you have condensation, it means the air in your tube is over-saturated with moisture.  I don't know what your current hose temp is, or even if it actually gets close to that, covered or not.  But if its above 24 deg C, and your humidity setting is under 4, it still may be too much for the rest of the room's air, and remember where you machine gets it.

I understand that you may have settled on settings that have you secure, comfortable, and getting good sleep, especially if the settings now yield a distinct improvement over your earliest settings.  But, have you tried reducing the humidity level AND raising the tube temp?  Or, why have you limited the tube temp to whatever setting it currently has?  Maybe you could raise it two points, or three....?  Maybe seasonal changes inside your sleeping space mean that you should alter your settings seasonally, and NOT expect to suffer for it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Currently my tube temp is set at 80 deg F and humidifier set to 3. You think I should increase my tube temp? Room air temp is 69 to 71 F
Post Reply Post Reply
BTW...
With my ResMed ASV machine, I set the heated hose to "Auto". Seems to be fine for what I need.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
I had it on auto for a long time. I guess I could try setting hose back to auto and keep humidifier setting at 3 or less.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-23-2020, 09:36 PM)Brahmabull Wrote: Currently my tube temp is set at 80 deg F and humidifier set to 3. You think I should increase my tube temp? Room air temp is 69 to 71 F

(12-23-2020, 10:50 PM)Brahmabull Wrote: I had it on auto for a long time. I guess I could try setting hose back to auto and keep humidifier setting at 3 or less.

Look, my machine is set to manual with humidity 4 and tube temperature at 80. The only possible difference is I use a fleece tube cover, and live in a colder climate where condensation should be worse.  Get a tube cover. It's cheap and more comfortable.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 105 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 219 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  Tube Size - 12mm, 15mm and 22mm MrIvanDrago 8 471 02-23-2024, 09:31 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 950 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio
  Q-tube View 0 194 02-04-2024, 01:35 PM
Last Post: View
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 450 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 606 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.