Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed for Her
Resmed for Her
Have any women here used ResMed AirSense 10 vs ResMed AirSense 10 for Her?  I was diagnosed last winter and was really happy to get any machine at all, and only realized there was a female and male version of the AirSense 10 more recently (and why is the name not AirSense for Him, I ask you?  But that is a discussion for another day...).  How big a deal is it to not have the Her algorithm?    
Huhsign
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed for Her
I don't know this from a women's perspective and I see no issues with any mode that works for the user.

I've seen more issues fixed by changing from the "for her" softer mode to the plain "AutoSet" mode than the other way around, besides there are many men who use the "for her" mode.  

The device in question is the ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet for Her vs. the original ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet.  AirSense 10 is the designation of a model line that contains 4 models.
Post Reply Post Reply
In my way of thinking it does not matter what one you use, it is what works for you. The autoset is a great Cpap. If you want someone to look at your charts post Oscar and see if anyone has suggestions to help.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
My SIL was diagnosed with sleep apnea about a year or so ago. I told her about the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (for her). Told her to ask about it where she was being treated. 

She did and they were very impressed that she did. She ended up with one and say's it serves her just fine, and she's glad that I made mention of it to her.  Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
According to resmed, the description of 'for her mode' is:

-Reduced rate of pressure increments designed to help prevent arousals.

-Slower and lower pressure rises and decays.

-Treats apneas up to 12 cmH2O and continues to respond to flow limitation and snore up to 20 cmH2O.

-Minimum pressure that adjusts according to the frequency of apneas. If two apneas occur within a minute, the pressure reached in response to the second apnea will become the new minimum treatment pressure until the next treatment session.

The A10 for her is also contain the AutoSet mode, so if the prices are the same or different but acceptable, technicially A10 for her is a better choice. But just like Gideon saids, it's all about what mode, even what brand is works for the user. It's very important to have a trial before you make the decision.
Post Reply Post Reply
I got my first machine, an AirSense10 in October, 2014. I asked about the For Her and they told me it would be another couple of months on backorder. So I settled for what I could get.

When I got my AirSense11 the first thing I wanted to try was the ForHer mode that I missed out on 7.5 years before. I ran it for 10 days.

It was pretty much a fiasco. I had very long OAs -- like 45-60 seconds. In one 61-second OA I measured a desaturation to 78%, a new personal record! The day after one of those events I would wake up with vertigo and then a nasty headache.

Having used a vauto as well as an A10 and A11, I'm thinking that the various named algorithms in the AirSense line are groupings of the things which are individually programmable on the AirCurve -- things like triggers and timings.

I also believe that with EPR on, the Autoset algorithm on the Air10 uses a VeryHigh trigger sensitivity, while the Air11 uses medium. Medium trigger sensitivity is the default on the AirCurve. The Air11 with EPR=3 treats my flow limits like the vauto with PS=3/Trigger=medium -- it works much better than the Air10.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have an S10 *for her* and I'm very grateful.

This machine is registered as a cpap in Ontario Canada. Someone here told me so. So I bought one. I could not buy a machine registered as an APAP in Ontario Canada. It's not approved for my use.

I appreciate the description above; I'm currently using the *for her* mode. Reading this: *-Treats apneas up to 12 cmH2O and continues to respond to flow limitation and snore up to 20 cmH2O.*

I plan to switch back to the for him mode tonight.

DAveL
Toronto
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for everyone's input! The AirSense 10 AutoSet with the addition of some O2 seems to be working well for me, but I was curious about other people's experiences, since I have not tried anything else. It is possible I will be switched to a BiPAP if they ever come off backorder, which I gather has many more options as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
My first two cpaps were Respironics.

Sleep Doc wrote the prescription; his office was in the hospital. Supplier's office was in the hospital too. Convenient! Both machines were Respironic. Turns out the hospital owns 1/2 the supply business. No say in machine type. No say in mask type. Had to be cpap. I bet the hospital got max profit from providing Respironic machines.

So I bought my 3rd machine used from a friend who quit cpap therapy after getting her machine...

And my 4th I bought the ResMed S10 *for her* based on the advice of people here. ResMed. Being able to read the card is the keystone to therapy quality and well being. And it's solely because of this forum and the advice I get!
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Finally found the mode setting and switched it to Soft. You can feel the difference. Subjectively, it feels like the pressure is lower and smoother/steadier to me. So far I like it.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.