Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed headgear Quattro FX worn out?
Resmed headgear Quattro FX worn out?
I have Resmed Quattro FX.
The headgear seems to have been worn out after 11 month.
It have lost some of it's elasticity and velcro is also not working properly, it looses it's grip easily.
Is this normal that the headgear is worn out after 11 month?
How long does your headgears of this type last?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed headgear Quattro FX worn out?
Hi kriper,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Since the velcro isn't gripping properly, and you have lost elasticity in your headgear,you probably need to change it.
Some say that you need to change your headgear about every six, (6,) months but I have had mine last longer than that.
Best of luck to you and hang in there for more suggestions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-02-2012, 10:12 AM)kriper Wrote: I have Resmed Quattro FX.
It have lost some of it's elasticity and velcro is also not working properly, it looses it's grip easily.

What Trish said - Time for a new one.

In the meantime, you can wash it by hand with Woolite or I've also used Ivory soap or Dawn etc. in warm water and then rinse well and blot it with a towel or paper towel, I've found that I can drape mine over a 1 gallon water or milk (empty) container to let it dry a little faster than just laying it flat (more air circulation), it usually gets "some" elasticity back after it's dry.

You can leave the plastic clips attached during the cleaning process.

To keep the Velcro straps attached while you're waiting for a new headgear to arrive, I've used medium-size (about 1 inch long) safety pin's through the Velcro (parallel to the strap) to keep it attached, I haven't tried a stapler since it would be difficult to make adjustments if needed but you'd want the closure on the outside - not against your face.

Ren

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-02-2012, 12:57 PM)TheWerkz Wrote:
(12-02-2012, 10:12 AM)kriper Wrote: I have Resmed Quattro FX.

What Trish said - Time for a new one.

In the meantime, you can wash it by hand with Woolite or I've also used Ivory soap or Dawn etc. in warm water and then rinse well and blot it with a towel or paper towel, I've found that I can drape mine over a 1 gallon water or milk (empty) container to let it dry a little faster than just laying it flat (more air circulation), it usually gets "some" elasticity back after it's dry.

You can leave the plastic clips attached during the cleaning process.

To keep the Velcro straps attached while you're waiting for a new headgear to arrive, I've used medium-size (about 1 inch long) safety pin's through the Velcro (parallel to the strap) to keep it attached, I haven't tried a stapler since it would be difficult to make adjustments if needed but you'd want the closure on the outside - not against your face.

Ren

I have ordered a new one so thank you for all advice so I can stay with the old one till the new one arrive.

When I think about it...should it not last longer?
Low quality or bad design with velcro...?
Post Reply Post Reply
The headgear for my Mirage Activa seems far less durable than the headgear for my other masks, a Sleepweaver élan and a PR Optilife. It started looking fuzzy after only a month of use. It's at about six months of use now and I don't expect it to last any longer than your headgear. I can't judge the durability of the other masks' headgear since I wear the Activa the vast majority of the time.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-02-2012, 02:45 PM)big_dave Wrote: The headgear for my Mirage Activa seems far less durable than the headgear for my other masks, a Sleepweaver élan and a PR Optilife. It started looking fuzzy after only a month of use. It's at about six months of use now and I don't expect it to last any longer than your headgear. I can't judge the durability of the other masks' headgear since I wear the Activa the vast majority of the time.

I think I will mail Resmed and ask what they think about it.
And what they think is typically lifelength of the headgear..

I will let you know of their answer.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would imagine ResMed will tell you six months. I believe they are trying to make their product durability match the insurance reimbursement schedule.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wish they would last longer too, but 11 months is pretty good. But if the headgear is so stretched out that you have to keep re-adjusting, and if the velcro stops working at about 6 months, then what have you accomplished by fighting with it to get it to stick? However, I don't blame you for trying to get all you can out of your headgear, ( milk it for all it's worth, Ha-Ha,) 'before you have to change it.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I mailed Resmed here in Sweden about the supposed length of life for the headgear.
This is the answer I got.
It was in Swedish but I ran it through Google Translate and it came out pretty accurat I think.

"We usually recommend that you replace the cushion and head band with approximately 12-18 months. I assume that you use the clips to on and off the mask? You do not adjust the straps so often then. The reason that Velcro wears out is just to open and close frequently".
Post Reply Post Reply
I never use headgear for more than six months for precisely for the reasons you describe.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Quattro FX full face mask? Wayne41 5 361 01-17-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: Wayne41
  [Equipment] Brevida mask with Evora headgear BeauPetitNez 8 1,659 01-13-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: BeauPetitNez
Question [Equipment] Is the headgear on AirFit N20 the same as AirFit F20? James87 4 439 01-12-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: labrat
  P10 Headgear paulag1955 2 352 12-14-2023, 07:29 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  F&P Solo Headgear Columbiabill 1 474 12-09-2023, 01:25 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  [Equipment] Resmed N30i/P30i headgear sleeve issues Himrent 1 422 11-23-2023, 02:22 PM
Last Post: Dog Slobber
  Mirage Quattro Question Jimnyc2000 0 477 07-03-2023, 09:59 PM
Last Post: Jimnyc2000

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.