Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed imposes "floor" pricing on Canadian Online suppliers
RE: Resmed imposes "floor" pricing on Canadian Online suppliers
In Ontario, the government mandates a basic package for which they'll fund. No doubt the DME will try even harder to upsell now.
Post Reply Post Reply
From my research, none of the health insurance providers in Australia cover PAP therapy in any way. If I want a machine I have to buy it myself. The cost of a machine in OZ is almost three time what it would cost in the US. Logic and economics say that I should import from the US which is what I have done for all my machines.

A couple of months ago I went to a CPAP supplier a few kms away to pick up a new nasal pillow for my P30i. Talking to the woman behind the desk she was a bit puzzled that she couldn't find me in her system.

"Have you bought a machine from us?"
"No"
"Have you bought a machine from another Australian suppler?"
"No"
"So where did you get your machine from?"
"The US"
"Why not buy from an Australian supplier?"
"Simple, if you can match US prices then I'll buy from you. My Resmed BiLevel Auto cost me $*** including shipping. Can you match that price."

The conversation ended at that point and might be salient for Canadian PAP users.
Post Reply Post Reply
You need to look a bit harder, Holden. Smile From what I've seen the majority of funds do give a rebate for a machine, from about $300 to $800 depending on the fund and what table you're on.

It's not nearly enough given the cost of machines here, but it does need to be included in your calculations. It's also the case that some of the high end machines e.g. Resmed ASV are actually cheaper here.
Post Reply Post Reply
I came across this (which has supposedly been in effect since 2012):
https://www.resmed.com/us/en/healthcare-...olicy.html

Some interesting snippets:
Quote:ResMed makes superior products for the treatment of sleep-disordered breathing and other medical conditions. Patient compliance is an important aspect of effective treatment, and the involvement of health professionals greatly improves compliance. ResMed believes that its products are best sold directly to patients by a highly qualified network of medical equipment professionals. ResMed also believes the sale of its products on the Internet is most effective when coupled with the high degree of service provided by this network of customers. ResMed therefore chooses to authorize the sale of its products on the Internet only through customers that carry appropriate inventory sufficient to meet in person and online demand, provide superior patient service in person and on the Internet, and consistently promote the features and benefits of ResMed products in online advertising.

Quote:Do not use "call for price" or "call for quote" or other statements designed to circumvent this Internet Policy. Do not offer free or discounted products with the purchase of products covered by ResMed's Canada MIRP. Do not advertise or sell non-ResMed products together with ResMed products as part of a combined therapy product offering. This Internet Policy is not intended to restrict sales of non-ResMed products.

Quote:Do not reference or mention an assistive devices reimbursement program ("ADP") in any online advertisement. If an Internet Provider intends to refer to an ADP on its website, prior written consent must be obtained from ResMed. This requirement is not intended to prevent participation in an ADP or to set a particular price for ADP reimbursement.

Presumably, one could call some of the existing vendors and ask for their best price.  Masks from other manufacturers are significantly cheaper now - I guess they are ok to lose business over this.
Post Reply Post Reply
It certainly appears that Resmed is trying to emulate Apple in imposing mandatory floor pricing on its branded products. I don't think it is a coincidence that all the Canadian internet sellers ratcheted up their prices recently. The 2012 policy that was posted by Cruiser had not been in force in the last 4 years when I have been using cpap. I guess when myself and others have referred to good deals from the listed Canadian suppliers we may have been partly responsible for Resmed's recent enforcement actions. It would be naive to think Resmed does not read our forum discussions.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2019, 06:38 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: You need to look a bit harder, Holden. Smile   From what I've seen the majority of funds do give a rebate for a machine, from about $300 to $800 depending on the fund and what table you're on.

It's not nearly enough given the cost of machines here, but it does need to be included in your calculations. It's also the case that some of the high end machines e.g. Resmed ASV are actually cheaper here.

I'm with my union health fund which is member owned and driven and is rated quite highly. When I queried them about support for CPAP I was told that there was none so I would be interested in which funds do support PAP therapy.

Based on this, because I have fairly extensive cover, I'll go back to the fund to find out if they now support it.
Post Reply Post Reply
HBF in WA offer "up to" $720, with a 15% discount if you buy from one of their pharmacies.

BUPA offer 85% of the cost "up to" $1500, once per two years if you're on the top table, smaller percentages and dollar figures on lower tables.

I couldn't find Medibank's rebate but I recall getting something like $500 back on my ASV about 6 years ago.
Post Reply Post Reply
I contacted my health provider and they said they could do it if I upgraded my extras cover to the top level which of course means an increase in fortnightly payments. It will also triple my hospital excess cover. After doing the Maths I'm much better off importing from the US.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have any Canucks tried an order over the phone yet?
Post Reply Post Reply
I bought my S9E used years ago.
REason? Cost.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,668 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP machine fell on floor luigi28me 6 649 01-14-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Recommendations for national suppliers? HenryBowman 2 422 01-04-2024, 09:51 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Anyone interested in starting an online self-help video chat for people with SA/UARS? JamesD0079 0 379 10-26-2023, 09:56 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  Buying CPAP supplies online: who do you prefer? Hmm888 1 844 09-06-2023, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  best canadian online cpap stores? is cpap outlet legit ? michelbeaini 1 1,259 07-03-2023, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Dog Slobber
  Airsense 10 with modem safe from suppliers? HappySailor 3 803 07-02-2023, 12:54 AM
Last Post: HappySailor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.