Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Fixed Pressure vs. Auto Pros and Cons
RE: Fixed Pressure vs. Auto Pros and Cons
Ya. I think the only reason doctors recommend CPAP is they don't want you to temper with the setting if you don't know how to do it. Theoretically APAP becomes CPAP when you set both the auto Min and Max pressures the same
Post Reply Post Reply
True you can set the high and low pressure the same to simulate CPAP, but most APAP machines also provide a CPAP mode that has only one pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am new, but will share my experiemce. I was on cpap for 3 weeks. My results were better that without, but certainly room for improvement. My numbers were all over the place as well. I am sure much to do with adjusting to the equipment. My RT looked at the numbers, and advised switching to apap, with a range. I was around 16 AHI 2 nights ago, last night i was at 6, and I am sure there is room to do better. Sleepyhead shows where the changes occured and it made corrections ad needed. It was noted above there could be manu factors at play, such as alcohol, stress, eating late, etc. i would go with the auto.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-31-2016, 01:06 PM)gmapes Wrote: Thanks everyone. I had read where a few people had sleep disruptions with the auto.

Not in any way disagreeing - but I suspect for a larger percentage of people it would be the opposite, meaning the auto makes it bearable for them. I've never known anything but the luxury of apap and can't imagine how difficult it would be for me if I had to be on fixed. I don't know if I'd have been able to do it.

My pressure is 7 - 13, and it took me a long time to be able to tolerate that 7 (even back when I had auto ramp start at 4 it was a challenge). For me, being able to start at a lower setting and have it increase as needed as I sleep is a God send.

Post Reply Post Reply
Well put 'Maskup Sleepwell'
Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply
Not all fixed pressure CPAP's are full data capable machines, if you don't know the difference, you might end up with a brick
If not mistaken, all APAP's are full data capable machines (S9 Escape Auto is the exception). Cost wise, APAP makes better treatment choice, future investment and more Sense. AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her/AutoSet makes better Sense too Coffee

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 145 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 209 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 703 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 407 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 585 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,647 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Dry mouth with Resmed 11 auto, not with S9 auto? pumpkln 3 598 09-13-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: eok361

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.