Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed s9 series (all)
Grin 
Resmed s9 series (all)
Any users of the resmed s9 series machines (all models of s9)
[/b
[b]The filtering system does not work.

The easiest way to see this is to insert a dollar bill between the side of the filter holder and the body of the machine while it is attached to the machine.

The bill will slip in behind the filter and the holder. Try it! [attachment=1079][attachment=1079]

This air leak is reducing the filter ability to filter out dust mites and what ever is in the room with you at the time of use.

I have been using the Resmed S9 IVAP machine for over a year.

I am a ex-marine guide with over twenty years underwater. I understand the physics of pressures and how it relates to the physiology of diving.
I am also a Beuchat and U.S. Diver equipment repair technician.

How I happened to discover this flaw - I was renovating our house.

I was changing my filters more frequently but the inside of the machine it was getting dirtier and dirtier.

Because of my work as a regulator technician I started to look for air leaks.

I did not take me long to find the filter holder and the filter were not doing what they are suppose to do and that is to keep foreign particles out of my lungs.

I have spent the better part of the year trying to get resmed to acknowledge the problem. Their solution was to give me another machine with the same problem. The one you see is a month old.

I was offered the new S10 series but it is has the same problem but can't be seen as it is hidden better.

So please take a dollar bill and see for yourself if you are using an S9 series resmed.[/color][/size][/font][attachment=1078]

Thanks
RE: Resmed s9 series (all)
Wow! Amazing captbilly and welcome to the forum.

We have a bunch of technical hardware engineer types who will definitely check out your instructions and claims.

They might even figure out a way to modify and improve the machine to correct the problem, even at home for the rest of us.

I would go look myself but currently I am recovering amazingly well from a double total knee replacement and am not enjoying much work other than the rehabilitation -- besides, I am foremost a software guy. Smile

Quite a few of us have Resmed S9's with a smattering of both S8s and a few of the newer A10s as well.

We share some (indirect) experience in that I was a commercial diver from 1975 until 1980, and have rebuilt a few regulators myself, including my own US Divers regulators. Nothing like your wide range and depth of knowledge on them but enough to keep myself alive and breathing comfortably for many years.

[I stopped diving myself after a CNS hit in 1980, and continued sensitization to decompression sickness even on relatively easy dives.]

My own diving helmet was built with a US Divers regulator as well as several of my SCUBA regulators.

When you get a chance, please start an off topic thread and let's discuss things like your marine guide career and diving tech
experience -- seriously, I would find this fascinating.

When were you in the Navy? I was U.S. Army from 1972 until 1975 when I left to attend Divers Training Academy in Ft. Pierce, FL on my GI Bill and savings from the Army.

(We can also talk about how an Army guy ends up at a divers training school and what happened after that.)

Welcome aboard!

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
The thing is, the air is the same as you are breathing normally. So unless your machine is sitting under the bed with the dust mites and dog hairs, you aren't breathing in much different stuff than you would normally. As for them being "forced" in, not really. The air pressure is not enough to inflate your lungs. It's not a ventilator. It is a CPAP.

(Moved this to the Main Forum since it was not a review of a product)
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Hi captnbilly,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
(10-31-2014, 10:05 PM)captnbilly Wrote: I did not take me long to find the filter holder and the filter were not doing what they are suppose to do and that is to keep foreign particles out of my lungs.

CPAP filters in any CPAP machine are not intended to filter the air you breathe in (at least that's not their primary intended purpose). CPAP filters are intended to prevent the inside of the CPAP machine fairly clean from dust and other particulates that may damage the machine over time.

If you need an air filter because you're concerned about what you breathe in, get one for your house or room and filter it that way. The CPAP filters were never intended to act to protect you, the user. They are there to extend the life of your CPAP machine, nothing more.

Although it helps somewhat to filter the air that comes through the machine and into your lungs, all CPAP filters do a very poor job of that, especially the re-usable foam ones. Even the Hypoallergenic filters that go into the back of the machine aren't all that great to filter the air. If you want a filter that's better for filtering the air coming out of the machine, you can get an in-line bacteria filter that has a much better seal for purposes of filtering the air for humans. Don't trust any CPAP filter (on the machine) to protect you - it's there to protect the machine, primarily.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

In-line Outlet Bacteria Filter for CPAP/BiPAP
[Image: respironics-bacteria-filter-side-directions.jpg]

Edit: The S9 hypoallergenic filters block finer particulars from entering the machine but are more expensive than the standard filters
Greetings captnbilly;

Thank you for your service.

Unfortunately I could NOT see any of your attachments. I am curious about the filter as I have asthma. I will be interested in further research.

Is it possible to attache a larger filter on the back of the machine or would that impede the airflow and damage the machine?
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
If you were to put 2 filters in the holder instead of 1, I think the small space would be covered and that would give adequate filtering !! or one could see if they could find filter material slightly thicker and then cut their own .

or get the inline filter Zonk posted about .. which may be better if the unit is setting on the floor where more dust particles may be suspended in the air ..

Found this on the In-line Outlet Bacteria Filter :

AUTO-ADJUSTING MACHINE NOTES: Use of Inline Bacterial Viral Filters may adversely effect auto sensing on Auto-CPAP systems especially at pressures below 7 CM H2O. If your average treatment pressure is below 7 CM H2O Inline Bacterial Viral Filters are not recommended.
The outlet bacteria filters go after the humidifier and get wet in use. As best as I can tell, they're intended for use in cases like hospitals and sleep labs where multiple patients may use the same CPAP machine.

Since they get wet and stay wet, I'd be concerned that they would actually grow more bacteria if you use them more than one night. A wet sponge is a good place for bacteria to multiply.

I haven't been able to find any spec for the Respironics bacteria filter on how often they need to be replaced. Supplier 1 says they can be used for multiple nights. Someone posted a similar antibacterial filter, but the manufacturer specified it was for a single night use.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
(11-01-2014, 04:52 AM)herbm Wrote: Wow! Amazing captbilly and welcome to the forum.

We have a bunch of technical hardware engineer types who will definitely check out your instructions and claims.

They might even figure out a way to modify and improve the machine to correct the problem, even at home for the rest of us.

I would go look myself but currently I am recovering amazingly well from a double total knee replacement and am not enjoying much work other than the rehabilitation -- besides, I am foremost a software guy. Smile

Quite a few of us have Resmed S9's with a smattering of both S8s and a few of the newer A10s as well.

We share some (indirect) experience in that I was a commercial diver from 1975 until 1980, and have rebuilt a few regulators myself, including my own US Divers regulators. Nothing like your wide range and depth of knowledge on them but enough to keep myself alive and breathing comfortably for many years.

[I stopped diving myself after a CNS hit in 1980, and continued sensitization to decompression sickness even on relatively easy dives.]

My own diving helmet was built with a US Divers regulator as well as several of my SCUBA regulators.

When you get a chance, please start an off topic thread and let's discuss things like your marine guide career and diving tech
experience -- seriously, I would find this fascinating.

When were you in the Navy? I was U.S. Army from 1972 until 1975 when I left to attend Divers Training Academy in Ft. Pierce, FL on my GI Bill and savings from the Army.

(We can also talk about how an Army guy ends up at a divers training school and what happened after that.)

Welcome aboard!

Too-funnySorry to disappoint you ex-marine guide I should maybe explain, I ran a eco-tourism company. I learned to dive a back in the early sixties stopped because the equipment back then was not to safe and hard to find someone to repair and tune it. Ny first reg. was a USD twin hose and if you have ever used one you know they are not the easiest things to breath off in all poistions except when the reg is above your lungs.
Anyhow My last dive was in the Caymens when we put a mermaid underwater just off Sun Set House maybe you followed that. The artist was Simon Morris Her sister is sitting in 60' in a little cove in B.C. Canada know of that one?

Not much interested in this form other then to let you know about what I found. So if you can use the information go ahead that is what it is there for.
Sleep-well    

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Respironic BiPAP M series pressure settings jamesmck 3 558 09-17-2023, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Remstar pro m series two beeps how can I reset? cantgettosleep 2 1,051 05-21-2023, 10:31 AM
Last Post: cantgettosleep
  Philips Bipap auto sv advanced series one keithy62 5 596 03-23-2023, 07:56 PM
  Resmed A10 Series Power Switch Question Crimson Nape 6 632 02-02-2023, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Remstar Auto M Series "Service Required" msgill59 24 36,208 01-08-2023, 07:20 PM
  P-SERIES DIRECTORY IN MY COMPUTER caribsun 1 564 08-07-2022, 08:00 AM
  The Curious Case of Resmed 10 Series Clock Setting S. Manz 13 2,065 11-13-2021, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Jeff8356

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.