Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed s9 series (all)
RE: Resmed s9 series (all)
(11-02-2014, 03:06 PM)Whitewabit Wrote: If you were to put 2 filters in the holder instead of 1, I think the small space would be covered and that would give adequate filtering !! or one could see if they could find filter material slightly thicker and then cut their own .

or get the inline filter Zonk posted about .. which may be better if the unit is setting on the floor where more dust particles may be suspended in the air ..

Found this on the In-line Outlet Bacteria Filter :

AUTO-ADJUSTING MACHINE NOTES: Use of Inline Bacterial Viral Filters may adversely effect auto sensing on Auto-CPAP systems especially at pressures below 7 CM H2O. If your average treatment pressure is below 7 CM H2O Inline Bacterial Viral Filters are not recommended.

OkayHowever
Two filters are not the answer but tell me how two filters will stop a bill from getting behind it.
there is no issue with bacteria or anything else other then this obvious air leak around the holder and filter.
This site won't let me paste another attachment. It is posted to another one I answered. Sorry Sad
(11-01-2014, 12:48 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: The thing is, the air is the same as you are breathing normally. So unless your machine is sitting under the bed with the dust mites and dog hairs, you aren't breathing in much different stuff than you would normally. As for them being "forced" in, not really. The air pressure is not enough to inflate your lungs. It's not a ventilator. It is a CPAP.

(Moved this to the Main Forum since it was not a review of a product)

UnsureGlad you took the time to move this to the main forum.

I would recommend you analyse your air unless you live in a hospital setting you are gong to get all kinds of stuff floating in the air as you move around a room.

Pressure is pressure and my inflates my alveoli which I consider part of my lung.
So what is your point? Dont-know
(11-01-2014, 06:56 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
(10-31-2014, 10:05 PM)captnbilly Wrote: I did not take me long to find the filter holder and the filter were not doing what they are suppose to do and that is to keep foreign particles out of my lungs.

CPAP filters in any CPAP machine are not intended to filter the air you breathe in (at least that's not their primary intended purpose). CPAP filters are intended to prevent the inside of the CPAP machine fairly clean from dust and other particulates that may damage the machine over time.

If you need an air filter because you're concerned about what you breathe in, get one for your house or room and filter it that way. The CPAP filters were never intended to act to protect you, the user. They are there to extend the life of your CPAP machine, nothing more.

Although it helps somewhat to filter the air that comes through the machine and into your lungs, all CPAP filters do a very poor job of that, especially the re-usable foam ones. Even the Hypoallergenic filters that go into the back of the machine aren't all that great to filter the air. If you want a filter that's better for filtering the air coming out of the machine, you can get an in-line bacteria filter that has a much better seal for purposes of filtering the air for humans. Don't trust any CPAP filter (on the machine) to protect you - it's there to protect the machine, primarily.

Coffee

Okay That is the most sensible thing I have heard a filter that does not act as a filter on a medical device.
When does a filter work? A house filter doesn't work either or else we would have not dust in the house and you would not have a breathing problem to begin with eh' Lolabove

A bill no matter what the value will slip in behind the holder whiter it is that cotton stuff or our plastic stuff is all I am trying to show.

The observation is there for you to check out, if are satisfied with your air good, I am not.

How can I get this one photo over to the multi responses? very limiting.
(11-02-2014, 02:15 PM)Evpraxia Wrote: Greetings captnbilly;

Thank you for your service.

Unfortunately I could NOT see any of your attachments. I am curious about the filter as I have asthma. I will be interested in further research.

Is it possible to attache a larger filter on the back of the machine or would that impede the airflow and damage the machine?

Oh-jeez you would probably know better then I about the filter thingie.

I am only pointing out what I have found as an air leak in an top of the line resmed s9 Thinking-about

The only help I can offer for your research is go find my rely to herbm

(11-01-2014, 04:52 AM)herbm Wrote: Wow! Amazing captbilly and welcome to the forum.

We have a bunch of technical hardware engineer types who will definitely check out your instructions and claims.

They might even figure out a way to modify and improve the machine to correct the problem, even at home for the rest of us.

I would go look myself but currently I am recovering amazingly well from a double total knee replacement and am not enjoying much work other than the rehabilitation -- besides, I am foremost a software guy. Smile

Quite a few of us have Resmed S9's with a smattering of both S8s and a few of the newer A10s as well.

We share some (indirect) experience in that I was a commercial diver from 1975 until 1980, and have rebuilt a few regulators myself, including my own US Divers regulators. Nothing like your wide range and depth of knowledge on them but enough to keep myself alive and breathing comfortably for many years.

[I stopped diving myself after a CNS hit in 1980, and continued sensitization to decompression sickness even on relatively easy dives.]

My own diving helmet was built with a US Divers regulator as well as several of my SCUBA regulators.

When you get a chance, please start an off topic thread and let's discuss things like your marine guide career and diving tech
experience -- seriously, I would find this fascinating.

When were you in the Navy? I was U.S. Army from 1972 until 1975 when I left to attend Divers Training Academy in Ft. Pierce, FL on my GI Bill and savings from the Army.

(We can also talk about how an Army guy ends up at a divers training school and what happened after that.)

Welcome aboard!
forgot to mention I am 68 - you are probably a younger person.
was your operating due to serving?
(11-03-2014, 03:39 AM)captnbilly Wrote:
(11-01-2014, 04:52 AM)herbm Wrote: Wow! Amazing captbilly and welcome to the forum.

We have a bunch of technical hardware engineer types who will definitely check out your instructions and claims.

They might even figure out a way to modify and improve the machine to correct the problem, even at home for the rest of us.

I would go look myself but currently I am recovering amazingly well from a double total knee replacement and am not enjoying much work other than the rehabilitation -- besides, I am foremost a software guy. Smile

Quite a few of us have Resmed S9's with a smattering of both S8s and a few of the newer A10s as well.

We share some (indirect) experience in that I was a commercial diver from 1975 until 1980, and have rebuilt a few regulators myself, including my own US Divers regulators. Nothing like your wide range and depth of knowledge on them but enough to keep myself alive and breathing comfortably for many years.

[I stopped diving myself after a CNS hit in 1980, and continued sensitization to decompression sickness even on relatively easy dives.]

My own diving helmet was built with a US Divers regulator as well as several of my SCUBA regulators.

When you get a chance, please start an off topic thread and let's discuss things like your marine guide career and diving tech
experience -- seriously, I would find this fascinating.

When were you in the Navy? I was U.S. Army from 1972 until 1975 when I left to attend Divers Training Academy in Ft. Pierce, FL on my GI Bill and savings from the Army.

(We can also talk about how an Army guy ends up at a divers training school and what happened after that.)

Welcome aboard!

Too-funnySorry to disappoint you ex-marine guide I should maybe explain, I ran a eco-tourism company. I learned to dive a back in the early sixties stopped because the equipment back then was not to safe and hard to find someone to repair and tune it. Ny first reg. was a USD twin hose and if you have ever used one you know they are not the easiest things to breath off in all poistions except when the reg is above your lungs.
Anyhow My last dive was in the grand Caymans when we put a statue of a mermaid underwater just off Sun Set House maybe you followed that. The artist was Simon Morris Her sister is sitting in 60' in a little cove in B.C. Canada know of that one?

Not much interested in this form other then to let you know about what I found. So if you can use the information go ahead that is what it is there for.
Sleep-well

Smile Me again...thought I would fill you in more never served no needed to-When I think Aqua-lung I say USD, my next reg was a Heathways and it weighed a ton, If you are familiar with the older regs., this one you had to strap on to your face much like CPAP's eh'. :grin::grin:I ended up with a Scubapro honker for a while but keep hitting the back of my head with it.

The closest I came to a commercial set up was a aga with a poseidon regulator. Did not like it because it of its constant flow, went though my 104 quickly. Got rid of it to a RCMP dive leader.
I dealt with all the dive stores here meet people from all over the world was a member of every dive club here (good for business) I have work on a few DFO projects and studied with a local aquarium by participated in a research projects for them nothing much just volunteering, have shot file footage for our local TV stations, was the past VP and assist. instructor for disable club in a rehabilitation hospital.

My day at the office was putting on my rubber suit and falling backwards.
I keep most of my clients between 60 and the surface in our waters that is where most of the life is.

Have you ever meet a 20' octopus?
You are probably use to only the smaller cousins of maybe 2/5' or less.

Last dive was 2000.
Damaged myself in 1998.
Can still dive but my insurance now to take others under is to costly. So I sold the business to one of my clients from Florida, her husband nearly killed her, however the business is thriving and has expanded to handle the island tourists.

The injury I have is a damaged to the nerve that moves the diaphragm. My right side is stuck in the up position. That is why I am on this machine.

Enough about me what about you?

What did you do as commercial diver Welding, destructive testing, Hull inspections, harvester, safety support?
Did you work for yourself and contract out?

Were you on Nitrox when you got that hit? or where you diving on compressed and went to deep stayed to long?

I only moved a mixed gas as I got older just to outlast some of my clients who where better on air then I.Laugh-a-lot

Since you mentioned you are a software kind of guy I am curious how you got there?

(11-01-2014, 12:48 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: The thing is, the air is the same as you are breathing normally. So unless your machine is sitting under the bed with the dust mites and dog hairs, you aren't breathing in much different stuff than you would normally. As for them being "forced" in, not really. The air pressure is not enough to inflate your lungs. It's not a ventilator. It is a CPAP.

(Moved this to the Main Forum since it was not a review of a product)

Too-funny Oh Paula re-read post

Reno the house should stick out.
Grin 
To allRolleyes

I am on this machine because my right lung is partially paralysed due to nerve damage other then that a little apena because of the damage.
I am renovating this house, I use two large fans (24") with filters attached when I am working on the house.
What is left in the air at night is what gets passed the filter and into the heated water then into me.
Take a closer look at your water (the last hurdle the air must travel before your body) especially if you can sleep 10 hours, you will see foreign material floating around.
If you have a cat/s or a dog/s [u]take the time to look
for hairs in that water as this makes it easier to see.[/u]
What I am pointing out is a flaw in the design nothing else, how you guys use my observation is to your own volition.

I ready don't need the advice on how to fix this issue, this is not my problem it's Resmeds'

If you want to see the picture I took look at my reply to herbm and give it a try the bill goes behind the filter        

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Logically looking at your test I would fully expect that the paper would be able to be pushed between the chassis and the filter cover, and between the filter and the chassis. The same way that I would expect that a pry-bar would be able to be pushed between items that you wish to pry apart or a possible better example to slide a dollar between a clean filter and your furnace. The filter on the device is designed to use the center section of the filter media to filter the air coming into the unit. The air pressure across the filter pulls it down (toward the blower) to effect a seal. The edges of the filter are generally presscut to keep the filter together which will aid in the ability to pry it up. Due to the low air pressure drop across the filter (when clean) the filter will be lightly pressed against the unit, but the air will still go through the filter rather than around it due to the fact that it is easier for the air to pass through it than between it.
I have been using the S9 for several years and the only time that i have had anything in the water tank that was not supposed to be there was due to handling when adding water. I only use distilled water, which helps in not adding contaminants.
I re-read your comments and your contaminants are most likely coming in via the humidifier housing. If you are living in an area where you are doing renovations then you will have a lot of particles in the air. These will fall on the housing and your water supply (if you are using bottles). You will need to take great care to clean the housing and water container using something that will capture the dust rather than re-suspend it in the air before opening.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Respironic BiPAP M series pressure settings jamesmck 3 564 09-17-2023, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Remstar pro m series two beeps how can I reset? cantgettosleep 2 1,052 05-21-2023, 10:31 AM
Last Post: cantgettosleep
  Philips Bipap auto sv advanced series one keithy62 5 597 03-23-2023, 07:56 PM
  Resmed A10 Series Power Switch Question Crimson Nape 6 635 02-02-2023, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Remstar Auto M Series "Service Required" msgill59 24 36,228 01-08-2023, 07:20 PM
  P-SERIES DIRECTORY IN MY COMPUTER caribsun 1 567 08-07-2022, 08:00 AM
  The Curious Case of Resmed 10 Series Clock Setting S. Manz 13 2,068 11-13-2021, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Jeff8356

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.