Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed stink
Resmed stink
I'm new to cpaps (and new to this forum.) I'm experiencing an issue with resmed products that others have noted: the heated tubing stinks as it comes out of the package. I've also noted the same malorder on some of the masks and fittings.  I have a partial solution, but first, the parameters. Not all products with the same model number and the same listed country of oragin has the stink. The stink does not bother everyone, but causes nausea in those it does affect (my wife has an acute sense of smell, but hardly notices it). I can best describe it as a cheap perfume/chemical smell. It reminds me of the chemicals used in portable toilets. My partial solution is to wash the units in a packet of the powder used to clean residue out of coffee pots. It helps more than vinager. I'm going to try lemon next (also an acid).
    Resmed has denied there is a problem, and shows no interest in resolving it. If you are bothered by this issue, feel free to contact me. There are some avenues of resolution we could look into.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed stink
Welcome to Apnea Board. I love the smell of a new Resmed heated hose. Smells just like a new car.

Thumbs-up-2
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I also like the smell when opening new products, like hoses and nasal pillows, etc.  
Everything smells new, don’t mind it at all.  

In all seriousness, I’m aware some folk are very sensitive to these types of smells. And, BTY, it isn’t just ReMed products.  

Anyone that is sensitive to these smells only need to wash the items in a Dawn liquid and let air dry before using.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I always wash new PAP parts prior to first use. Never noticed any foul smell. 

Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
pretty sure we are really supposed to wash all things that we eat off, drink from, cook in, oh and inhale through, sometimes even things we put against our face. After all they come from a manufacturing line and are not washed or sterile. You ever smell an oxygen hose? 100% chemical smell and it is sterile.

I am sure all CPAP manufacturers have made sure that the material they use are rated to not have bad health effects. Take that to court in a class action and just because I think it's a problem or because I read on some non-scientific website pretty sure the court is going to side against me.

If you think it is harmful wash it our use a different brand, or a non-heated hose. Your choice. Really. We can make all kinds of choices based on what ever we want. some will turn out to be good and some not so good. I can watch youtube videos of people making all kinds of bad choices.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would first make a solution of baking soda in water in a clean bucket, and then open the bag with the new components immersed.  It should not affect anything, including the metal contacts on the connection on the climate-air hoses, and certainly not the plastics and silicone products.  Swish, rinse, repeat the rinse, and then air dry.

I have no recollection of an unpleasant or off-putting odor when I opened my hose and masks for the first time.  If I did, I would do as I suggest above, maybe with a weak TSP solution if the sodium bicarbonate didn't seem to work well.
Post Reply Post Reply
All hoses will have a smell. If Resmed's smells worse than any other brand, I would be surprised.

Baking soda or vinegar mixed with water for a good soak followed by a good rinse and air dry.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Categorize me as not minding the smell. The suggestions to wash mask and hose before use for those that the smell does bother makes sense. I myself haven't felt the need to do it. Just another aspect of xPap being a total individual experience.

Oh, and welcome to Apnea Board, Davidb.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the suggestions. I did try each of them before resorting to (food grade) acids, except baking soda (i was out) and tsp (it's now rated as a toxic substance. Not sure when that happened...) of the lot, dawn zero, vinager marginal, bleach ok, and the coffee pot acid cocktail was almost good enough. As to the suggestion just to trust to the ethics of a multinational corporation to have my best interests at heart... really?
Nuff said.
Post Reply Post Reply
trust that a multinational corporation does not want to get sued out of existence. FOr me I just blow air through it for a while (air pump) and the smell goes away as far as I can tell YMMV
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user: should mask stink? "Plastic" smell willo 15 6,844 11-13-2018, 10:38 AM
Last Post: willo
  New masks/pillows - do they all stink? HGMonaro 8 3,799 05-02-2016, 10:42 AM
Last Post: GrammaBear

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.