Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed v Philips - Hypopneas
Question 
Resmed v Philips - Hypopneas
I've been trialling a Resmed S9 Autoset, with indifferent results, so I've now been issued a Philips Respironic Bipap ASV. After the first two nights my OSA and CSA indices have fallen to almost nothing, but the hypopnea index has jumped from around 0.6 to >7. (Hence the AHI has remained between 7 and 9).

Is this dramatic increase in HI a function of the bipap ASV treatment, or is it a case of the machines interpreting the same data differently? Looking at the graphs, it seems the Philips is more aggressive in flagging an event than the Resmed was. I use SleepyHead software, if that makes any difference.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed v Philips - Hypopneas
Or it could be you are having more hypopneas. Seems as though I read that somewhere as a side thing with ASV machines. That the variable pressure keeps the brain tricked to not have a central but at the cost of having more hypopneas. But don't take that as fact! I could be wrong.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
The only way to reasonably determine the difference at home is to use both machines with a pulse oxymeter, and see if you get more O2 dips on the one than the other, and if they line up with the events listed in the machine readout in Sleepyhead.

Beyond that, I would seek out the opinion of your therapist.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-12-2013, 06:36 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: I've been trialling a Resmed S9 Autoset, with indifferent results, so I've now been issued a Philips Respironic Bipap ASV. After the first two nights my OSA and CSA indices have fallen to almost nothing, but the hypopnea index has jumped from around 0.6 to >7. (Hence the AHI has remained between 7 and 9).

Is this dramatic increase in HI a function of the bipap ASV treatment, or is it a case of the machines interpreting the same data differently? Looking at the graphs, it seems the Philips is more aggressive in flagging an event than the Resmed was. I use SleepyHead software, if that makes any difference.

Hi DeepBreathing,

ResMed defines Hypopnea as 50% or greater decrease in air flow for ten seconds or longer

Philips Respironics defines hypopnea as a 40% reduction in flow for ten seconds or longer

But before I venture a comment, what are your machine's settings?

Max pressure [4 to 25.0]
EPAP min [4 to Max pres]
EPAP max [EPAP min to Max Pres]
PS min [0 to (Max Pres - Max EPAP)]
PS max [PS min to (Max Pres - Min EPAP)]
BPM [Off, Auto, 4 to 30]
Ti [0.5 to 3.0]
Flex type [None Bi-Flex]
Bi-Flex [1 2 3]
Rise time [0 1 2 3]

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,840 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,619 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,062 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Worrying session last night - hypopneas increased tenfold! BigWing 12 234 03-23-2024, 06:23 AM
Last Post: BigWing
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,188 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 379 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  Does EPAP or IPAP control hypopneas? MrIvanDrago 3 247 02-29-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.