Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed vs OSCAR AHI Score
Resmed vs OSCAR AHI Score
Does anyone else see a difference between the AHI score that shows on the Aircurve 10 screen compared to what we see in OSCAR?

I see numbers like >6 AHI on the machine, but see <2 in OSCAR for the same period.  I'm sure they use different calculations.  I just wanted to make sure anyone else sees it as well.

I can tell when OSCAR says the night before was under 4, I feel great.

Sorry if this was answered before but I did search and couldn't find anything outside of ResMed reads high. 

Thanks in advance
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed vs OSCAR AHI Score
OSCAR only reports the data that the CPAP reports. What time period are you using on the AirCurve, Day, Week, Month? Your profile shows a DreamStation. Is this a mistake?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,
     Thank you for the reply.  Yes, my machine is a DreamStation.  I'm trying to remotely help my non-tech savvy brother in-law learn to control his sleep apnea.  He has an AirCurve.  I'm trying to avoid having him drive over to my house every day while we adjust his minimum pressure.

Attached you will find two images.  One is what Oscar said and the next for what Resmed said.   This is for just one night. I have since moved him to a minimum of 16 and want to see how his graphs are looking.

I must be missing something.

Thanks in advance.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Thramer,

Although I am a technically inclined (EE, retired), I have recently joined the forum and my knowledge of apnea and related sleep issues has taken a quantum leap forward, just from reading the forum posts. I typically read the posts and then go looking for other web resources relative to that post, so my 'training' is more diverse and helps me to understand how the entire picture fits together (I hope).

I also have a non-technical brother. He accepts the first answer he gets, whether it;s from a machines readout screen or whether it's from his doctor and DOESN'T LOOK ANY FURTHER! He doesn't have the same 'knowledge quest syndrone' to look further and get the whole picture like I do!

Despite that, he is trainable to a large degree and has been helping himself rather than relying on me totally!

I suggest you do what you can to train your brother. Towards that end, you might get him on the forum and although he will be in 'information overload' initially, the collective experience of those who post here will help him immensely, even if he doesn't understand the tech talk right away. He will also learn that other users have similar issues and that HE IS NOT ALONE.

Obviously, I am self taught with regard to many technical issues (internet security, Functional Medicine, how and why to avoid Windoze) etc, and I am currently in training to better understand my sleep issues and my new Airsense 10 datalogging CPAP.

Hope this helps, though I understand your post wasn't about your brother per se. Smile

GL.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wonder if the Resmed screen is the 30 day average.. Which I think you might have been hinting towards.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-27-2020, 07:02 AM)BB63 Wrote: I suggest you do what you can to train your brother. Towards that end, you might get him on the forum and although he will be in 'information overload' initially, the collective experience of those who post here will help him immensely, even if he doesn't understand the tech talk right away. He will also learn that other users have similar issues and that HE IS NOT ALONE.
[quote pid='359825' dateline='1595851371']
Thanks.  He only has an iPhone and would find reading posts very difficult on it.  It's hard to get him to text a picture of the screen without walking him through the steps every time. :-). He has no ambition or drive to understand.  I too am a technologist and need to see how things work to better understand them.

I keep trying to educate him and I'm starting to see the pulmonologists office really doesn't really use visual tools to set his settings.  His average for the last year or two was ~ 9 AHI and they never tried to make it better.  I have the same Dr and I dropped my score from a 4 to 1.x on average. Luckily the auto setting helped them a lot to start with and this board helped me find my proper starting pressure to take it the rest of the way. 
Thanks 

The good thing is I have my brother in-law down from the 9's to low 2's and he is feeling much better with the thanks to this board.  We took the Dr's staff that they were doing what was proper to make his issue resolved the best they know.
[/quote]
Post Reply Post Reply
Understood, Bro has a small screen on the IPHONE so reading forum posts and looking at plots is nearly impossible to the extent we need to comprehend the posts and to do thread browsing!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-27-2020, 05:47 AM)tkramer Wrote: Hi,
     Thank you for the reply.  Yes, my machine is a DreamStation.  I'm trying to remotely help my non-tech savvy brother in-law learn to control his sleep apnea.  He has an AirCurve.  I'm trying to avoid having him drive over to my house every day while we adjust his minimum pressure.

Attached you will find two images.  One is what Oscar said and the next for what Resmed said.   This is for just one night.  I have since moved him to a minimum of 16 and want to see how his graphs are looking.

I must be missing something.

Thanks in advance.

The OSCAR chart has two sessions checked. One on 7/24 and one on 7/25, and both are displayed in the chart.  The comparison of the machine summary and chart seems off even more than a missing session might be.  The machine is reporting a total AHI of 6.3, AI of 6.0 and Central AI of 5.1.  This suggests there are only 0.9 OAI, and 0.3 HI.  Without seeing the time period this summary applies to, it certainly looks nothing like what is in the Oscar graph which shows OA is greater than CA. This simply can't be the same session or time period.

As far as helping your brother-in-law, note the obstructive apnea mostly occur in clusters and this is more of an indicator of positional apnea.  I would direct him to the positional apnea article http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea  and have him consider the use of a soft cervical collar http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar

His positional apnea is not very severe, but it's possible his pressure requirements will be reduced if he solves the problem.  The data on the Aircurve screen does not even look like the same individual. I think more information would be helpful.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=25009]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That was it!  Once I removed the second date, the score matched.

I'm running on OSX with Oscar 1.1.1 if that helps to troubleshoot it.

I will recommend a collar for my brother in-law.   Thanks again for all the help!
Post Reply Post Reply
In this case, Oscar was accurate for the full night, while the information being viewed on-screen would have given you a completely different result.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 473 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy
  ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and Oscar Bucktilley 4 216 03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bucktilley
  OSCAR says: "Resmed Airsense 10 does not record detailed data"! Really? PappaJoe 3 476 02-14-2024, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Lövenstein prisma 25 ST low AHI score aergun 1 300 01-11-2024, 03:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Treatment] Oscar/ Dialing in Settings / ResMed 11 Jintyo76 2 319 01-10-2024, 11:50 PM
Last Post: Jintyo76
  Sudden Increase in AHI Score mawaw1992 13 2,214 12-11-2023, 04:59 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  What is your Mallampati Score? Are your tongue and palate causing your apnea? selfhelpdevice 0 309 12-10-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: selfhelpdevice

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.