Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed vs Respironics
Resmed vs Respironics
OK, first I do NOT want to start a heated exchange over which is best. (It would be like Red Sox vs Yankees) BUT, I have seen several post indicating that the machines use different algorithms. I wanted to know, objectively if possible, waht the difference is, and how it affects the therapy. (Specifically, I am using a Respironics Dreamstation Auto, and wonder if I would see a difference with a Resmed A10 Auto).

Thanks in advance
Old man, new machine. Better sleep! Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed vs Respironics
The differences are easily visible in any Sleepyhead graph. The Philips algorithm is slower to respond to OA cues and faster to drop pressure back to minimum pressure settings; while Resmed rapidly responds upward, and very slowly drops pressure back towards minimum. The Philips machine has a saw-tooth pressure pattern that reflects the testing of a 2.0 cm higher pressure every 20 minutes for 1.5 minutes, while Resmed has smaller constant changes in response to breathing patterns and events. Philips uses Flex which is a momentary reduction of pressure at the onset of exhale or inhale, and the pressure curve returns to the CPAP pressure setting before the breath is completed, while Resmed uses EPR which is effectively a bilevel pressure of up to 3-cm pressure relief. Resmed graphs mask pressure and flow limitation, Philips does not.

Both machines provide good therapy, and comfort. Philips needs to have a higher minimum CPAP pressure generally within 2-cm of the 90% pressure is ideal. Resmed cannot be relied on to work for everyone with wide-open settings either as shown in the 4th graph below, but it is more tolerant of a lower minimum pressure. In properly optimized settings, both provide excellent therapy, but I personally lean toward Resmed for the EPR and more steady pressure. Note, the Auto CPAP and Auto Bilevel for both machines work nearly identically as the APAP except for the separate EPAP (greater than 3 cm in the case of Resmed).

Philips
[Image: 9h2EgUbh.png?1]
[Image: NyD9DYIh.png]

Resmed
[Image: E4T0eQ2h.png]

This shows a poorly optimized Resmed machine and how fast it can respond:

[Image: Screen+Shot+2014-01-30+at+10.12.29.png]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, that was a really thorough reply. It definitely answers my question. I really appreciate the time and trouble you took to do it. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm eligible for a new machine. me the one hand, I like how PR reports. On the other hand, I'm not sure I'd like to change to their rhythm.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Gotta tell ya, Yankees all the way !!! LOL
Post Reply Post Reply
KABOOM..!

Sleeprider threw the decisive answer in one concise hit. 

Thumbs-up-2 Great-info
Post Reply Post Reply
First night with Airsense 10, instead of Dreamstation
Seemed to go well. Easier to exhale, and AHI went from an average of ~3 to 1.03 last night. Better control of hypopnea, which is my main problem. Thanks

Airsense 10 seems, after first night anyway, but be doing well.  Better control of my hypopneas.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First night with Airsense 10, instead of Dreamstation
Are you using the same settings?  What EPR setting?
It would be interesting to see charts comparing the two machines and your results.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First night with Airsense 10, instead of Dreamstation
Yes, to start same settings. I'll do the graphs after I give it a few nights. I had leakage again last night (which I didn't notice) which showed in both Sleepyhead and Resmed software. I am going to try different size nasal pillow and see if that helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, confirmed it. Resmed won out for me. After several night with AHI <1 (much less), I fired up the Dreamstation last night, same settings as the Resmed A10, and ended up with AHI 2.46.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,063 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 230 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 787 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 673 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,415 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  Philips Respironics DreamStation not reaching Max Pressure Xsoldier2000 15 2,296 01-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Tom Buck
  Respironics Recall Resolved Jeremy H 0 349 09-16-2023, 05:20 AM
Last Post: Jeremy H

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.