Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resp. Rate spikes
Resp. Rate spikes
Hi all, every now and then I wake up (like waking from a nightmare ... without the nightmare) with a really rapid heart rate (150 or so). I used to feed the craziness by freaking out, but now I just kind of walk around until it goes away. Anyway, I figured I would start seeing apena events like I felt before my sleep studies revealed severe sleep apnea. I never do, however In fact, my AHI is between 0 and .5 every night. By all accounts I should be sleeping awesome. But, man, I never do. I'm constantly waking up. This time I decided to start looking at other statistics when I start waking. 

I noticed that I have huge spikes in the following: 

1. respiration rate (all the way up to 50 from 15 avg) over a ten minute span. 
2. At the same time, there was a similarly high insp. time (all the way to the top of the scale -- 4 or so). 
3. These also seem to accompany high leak rate spikes, too (between 30 and 45 from almost nothing). 

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand the mechanisms at play here. Thanks for your help!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resp. Rate spikes
The leaks could be what's waking you up causing the spikes. It also could be flow limitations. It would help if you could post a chart so we can see what's going on.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Here are some of the charts from this particular evening. 

Post Reply Post Reply
Hard to see any data the way the charts are arranged. Check out the link below on how to arrange your charts.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the primer. I'll mess with that today and see if I can't format it a little better and repost. I've only used it for my own benefit, so scrolling around ad nauseum hasn't been a problem  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Your charts are showing only 3 hours of use with no events and some variable breathing and leaks. As Walla suggests, better data would be available without the monthly calendar, pie chart and more relevant charts. If you have no events, and are just trying to overcome some leaks, it's hard to know why you only tolerate 3-hours of therapy. That's not enough for compliance or effective treatment. We can help you figure out why you're having arousals, high heart rate and other issues, but the data needs to be formatted so we can correlate the problems to what the machine and sensors can tell us. I wrote the wiki on organizing your Sleepyhead charts and if there is anything there you find difficult to understand, just let me know and I can make clarifications.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't get my screen resolution down quite enough to capture the basics, so I still have to use two shots. However, I believe all of the data is captured as it is in the tutorial. Does this help a little more? 

[attachment=8136][attachment=8137]
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-07-2018, 06:29 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Your charts are showing only 3 hours of use with no events and some variable breathing and leaks.  As Walla suggests, better data would be available without the monthly calendar, pie chart and more relevant charts.  If you have no events, and are just trying to overcome some leaks, it's hard to know why you only tolerate 3-hours of therapy.  That's not enough for compliance or effective treatment.  We can help you figure out why you're having arousals, high heart rate and other issues, but the data needs to be formatted so we can correlate the problems to what the machine and sensors can tell us.  I wrote the wiki on organizing your Sleepyhead charts and if there is anything there you find difficult to understand, just let me know and I can make clarifications.

Hi Sleeprider, this data only reflects the point at which I woke up, pulled the card and started calming down. I slept another three hours or so after all of that without any event. These arousals at about 3 hours are very common for me. I've seen a cardiologist to help rule out something there, but they don't see anything. I hope I was able to adjust those screens so you're able to see a clearer picture!
Post Reply Post Reply
The graphs look fine. I think it would be better to leave the card in the machine, and check your data after noon sometime. You need 4-hours minimum to establish compliance. I don't know if that is a requirement for you to keep your machine, but that is the case with most insurance and Medicare. If you need to get up and calm down, that's fine, but try to leave the machine alone and use it when you're ready to go back to sleep.

Do you sleep well as you are using the machine? You have zero events, but if you're not comfortable, we should try to figure that out. You are using pressure from 9 to 13 and with zero events, it's pretty obvious you could tolerate lower pressure with good results and fewer leaks. You may also be more comfortable if we turn on EPR (exhale pressure relief). This will make using the machine and breathing feel more comfortable and natural. We do want to make sure that the event flags in the lower left corner are all turned on and this 0.0 AHI is real.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-08-2018, 10:15 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: The graphs look fine.  I think it would be better to leave the card in the machine, and check your data after noon sometime. You need 4-hours minimum to establish compliance. I don't know if that is a requirement for you to keep your machine, but that is the case with most insurance and Medicare.  If you need to get up and calm down, that's fine, but try to leave the machine alone and use it when you're ready to go back to sleep.

Do you sleep well as you are using the machine? You have zero events, but if you're not comfortable, we should try to figure that out.  You are using pressure from 9 to 13 and with zero events, it's pretty obvious you could tolerate lower pressure with good results and fewer leaks.  You may also be more comfortable if we turn on EPR (exhale pressure relief).  This will make using the machine and breathing feel more comfortable and natural.  We do want to make sure that the event flags in the lower left corner are all turned on and this 0.0 AHI is real.

When it came time to replace my machine, I just used my HSA funds and bought a new one. I don't have to deal with my insurance company that way. My 30 day average for AHI over the years has always been between .5 and 1. I only have one or two events per night. Every blue moon I get a central apnea. But that's really rare. 

I find myself waking up a lot after a few hours feeling like I can't breathe. Typically I'll end up removing the mask at that point. The other arousals are the bad ones I mentioned. I wake up instantly with my heart pounding like crazy. I wore a seven day holter and all the cardiologist said was: "weird ..." But nothing else. Comforting, haha. 

Sometimes I'll sleep without the mask on purpose. I wake up a lot, however, I never have that same  kind of acute arousal. Someone suggested once that it's possible I'm shallow breathing, maybe during REM, and that causes a cycle of oxygen rich hyperventilation. That makes a little sense as there has never been an obstructive event upon waking like that. I've also tried checking my blood sugar when that happens. Also nothing there. 

I'll try lowering the pressure a bit and make sure EPR is engaged. I usually keep that on, but I'll check. 

At one point, I started setting an alarm for 3 hours. I would wake up, walk around and do a few things. Then go back to bed. I stopped having them.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Too much STATIC showing in OSCAR Flow Rate PappaJoe 11 290 57 minutes ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 9 1,570 04-23-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 370 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 405 04-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 14 389 04-13-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: chronic
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Help Understanding CPAP data and Pressure Spikes Sleepin 3 200 04-12-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Expat31
Question Any thoughts on why my heart rate increases when using CPAP? hejohoo 3 971 04-08-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: hejohoo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.