Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resp rate drop off before waking
Resp rate drop off before waking
Hello - another newbie here. Can anyone tell me why a resp rate would drop really low just before waking up? Is that common?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resp rate drop off before waking
With so little information -- a guess would be that you are in REM sleep.
Respiratory rate varies throughout the night and in the different phases of sleep.

Welcome
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi sclaire,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Which mask and machine do you have?
Hang in there for more answers to your question, good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey sclaire and welcome to the forum! Glad you found us!

There's a link above for SleepyHead software that you can download to look at the data on your machine's SD card. Don't forget to slide the little switch on your SD card to the locked position before it goes in your computer and unlock it before re-inserting it into your machine. And it would be really helpful if you would update your user profile with your machine type, pressure (range) being currently used, mask type etc etc. Even if you are still in the trialling stages!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
I would second Mongo's assessment that you were in REM sleep. In this sleep stage, your respiratory rate does drop. You probably go into REM multiple times in the night. Look at your resp rate for the whole night and you may find more time intervals where resp rate falls a bit.

Do you remember dreaming just before you woke up. That would typically mean REM sleep.
And if you woke up without an alarm, that also means you just came from deep sleep to the shallow.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-09-2016, 12:08 AM)AshSF Wrote: ...........you were in REM sleep. In this sleep stage, your respiratory rate does drop...........
I've seen this assertion in the forums several times. My searching indicates that the respiration rate can go in either direction relative to non-REM sleep, and there are several references that say it increases.

This is a point of interest for me, since I frequently get the respiration bump highlighted in the image below. The bump goes from ~15 breaths/min to 20+, and it appears many nights, and at roughly the same elapsed time. (It's also characterized by few or no recorded events.) Since I sometimes wake right after it and remember that I'd just been dreaming, I wondered why it wasn't a dip instead of a bump. But now I pretty much believe it is REM sleep. (This night, there were a couple more in the 40 mins before final wakefulness.):

[Image: rnjMT08l.png]

If anyone has an alternate explanation, I'd love to hear.

There's also a lower respiration rate in first minutes of my session, and in the last. I see that a lot too. I believe those are periods of wakefulness. As mentioned, with no data for the OP, it's just speculation, but the drop could simply be the transition from sleep to wakefulness.

-Ron
We are such stuff
As dreams are made on, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-09-2016, 02:00 PM)rkl122 Wrote: There's also a lower respiration rate in first minutes of my session, and in the last. I see that a lot too. I believe those are periods of wakefulness. As mentioned, with no data for the OP, it's just speculation, but the drop could simply be the transition from sleep to wakefulness.

-Ron

That was my initial thought too but without actual data, I did not bring it up. We tend to breathe more rapidly and shallower during sleep, so the respiration rate dropping close to wakening would seem to me to be normal.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to you and the other folks who answered. Much appreciated.

C
Post Reply Post Reply
Same here. It's low in the beginning and at the end of a sleep session. I associate it with wakefulness and perhaps some call it sleep wake junk.

It also happens for short periods while asleep. These periods are when the asv works the hardest and hits high pressures to keep minute ventilation at 90%.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 1 37 3 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 0 51 Yesterday, 01:27 PM
Last Post: xaid
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 2 54 Yesterday, 12:27 PM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 85 Yesterday, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  Help with spotting flow rate RERA's apnea505 3 141 03-14-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: apnea505
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 8 132 03-14-2024, 01:15 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 236 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.