Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Respiration Noise
Respiration Noise
Hello all.
I have used a Fisher Paykel 604 for the last 5 years. In spite of it falling off the night table twice when I first started using it, it remains perfectly functional. Extremely quiet, with no respiration noise whatsoever and the water chamber easily lasts over 10-12 hours without running empty. It has humidity and temperature controls.
I recently contacted the supplier for another slimmer unit and was given the Resmed S9 Autoset to try out. I find as does my wife, the respiration noise (inhale) is quite irritating as is the fact that the water chamber only seems to hold a fraction of the water that the 604 held and consequently after 6-8 hours of use the water level drops to within 1/2 inch of the bottom.
I love the slimmer, streamlined shape of the Resmed unit especially when travelling but I really do miss the 604. I am tempted to take it out of storage every night!
Is there a comparable unit out there?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Respiration Noise
For the inhale noise, make sure the filters are in correctly. Make sure the humidifier lid is firmly shut.

For the humidifier level, they've much improved how these things work. If I understand it correctly, it can detect the humidity level in the room and adjust the humidity to your mask based on that. In my winter dry house, I have little to no water left in the morning. In the summer, it's as if it was never on. You can experiment with turning the humidifier down to conserve water.

The next one to recommend would be the Respironics Pro Auto. I think that's the name. There's also the Icon but the software is not cheap. I think you can use SleepyHead with it, though.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi cam,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2013, 12:17 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: For the inhale noise, make sure the filters are in correctly. Make sure the humidifier lid is firmly shut.

For the humidifier level, they've much improved how these things work. If I understand it correctly, it can detect the humidity level in the room and adjust the humidity to your mask based on that. In my winter dry house, I have little to no water left in the morning. In the summer, it's as if it was never on. You can experiment with turning the humidifier down to conserve water.

The next one to recommend would be the Respironics Pro Auto. I think that's the name. There's also the Icon but the software is not cheap. I think you can use SleepyHead with it, though.

Thanks Paula.
This is actually the second machine and both machines make the same respiration inhalation sound. The manufacturer and supplier say this is normal. I guess I am used to the FP 604. I thought perhaps someone could recommend another unit since this one is on loan to me to try it out.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2013, 08:22 PM)cam Wrote: This is actually the second machine and both machines make the same respiration inhalation sound. The manufacturer and supplier say this is normal. I guess I am used to the FP 604. I thought perhaps someone could recommend another unit since this one is on loan to me to try it out.

Hi cam, welcome to the forum!

Here are important things to look for in a new machine:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

It seems many ResMed S9 AutoSets are a little noisy at some pressures and others are not. Some users are not bothered by the noise as long as the machine is placed lower than the bed (but on a low platform, or inside a box which has no top, so the machine's filter will not get dirty quickly from drawing air from too near the floor).

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I did make a recommendation. The PRS1 Auto and the Icon Auto.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
there,re more happy S9 Autoset users than other machines
many switch to S9 Autoset after tried other machines ... not the other way around

read the reviews, S9 Autoset is the most popular apap machine

if data is important to you, you cannot pass S9 Auotset
provide more data on machine screen including unintentional leak (only available on Resmed machines)

S9 Autoset supported by two readily available software, Resscan and SleepyHead

Post Reply Post Reply
Hello All.
Well just returned both of my new Resmed S9's and picked up a PRS1 to give it a try and it's very quiet in comparison but doesn't seem to have the same volume of pressure at my recommended setting of 9. Also the outflow seems to be somewhat blocked and so I find I can't breathe out freely.
Not sure if there is something wrong with this unit but I intend to call the supplier tomorrow and ask. For the time being, I have switched back to my FP 604.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2013, 10:21 PM)cam Wrote: Well just returned both of my new Resmed S9's and picked up a PRS1 to give it a try and it's very quiet in comparison but doesn't seem to have the same volume of pressure at my recommended setting of 9.

I can't think of any physical reason why this could be happening. The machine pretty much maintains the pressure of 9 cm regardless of the volume of air you inhale.

Quote:Also the outflow seems to be somewhat blocked and so I find I can't breathe out freely.

There's a feature called A-Flex that lowers the pressure when you exhale. The maximum setting is 3.

Quote:Not sure if there is something wrong with this unit but I intend to call the supplier tomorrow and ask.

You must have a very understanding supplier!

Maybe the motors in these newer machines spin at a different frequency. You and your spouse may have adjusted to the pitch of the sound coming from the old machine and learned to "tune it out". Now you've got a machine putting out a sound with a different pitch and quality and it's annoying you. We have an air filter in our bedroom that puts out a white noise. It pretty much drowns out the noise from the CPAP machine. The only time I can hear it is sometimes when I first put the mask on. I figure I'm breathing at a faster rate, and as I relax in bed the breathing rate relaxes and the noise level drops. It may just be that it takes a few minutes for the brain to adjust to the noise and tune it out.

We're talking about a very low level of noise here, but it is audible.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2013, 10:46 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(02-05-2013, 10:21 PM)cam Wrote: Well just returned both of my new Resmed S9's and picked up a PRS1 to give it a try and it's very quiet in comparison but doesn't seem to have the same volume of pressure at my recommended setting of 9.

I can't think of any physical reason why this could be happening. The machine pretty much maintains the pressure of 9 cm regardless of the volume of air you inhale.

Quote:Also the outflow seems to be somewhat blocked and so I find I can't breathe out freely.

There's a feature called A-Flex that lowers the pressure when you exhale. The maximum setting is 3.

Quote:Not sure if there is something wrong with this unit but I intend to call the supplier tomorrow and ask.

You must have a very understanding supplier!

Maybe the motors in these newer machines spin at a different frequency. You and your spouse may have adjusted to the pitch of the sound coming from the old machine and learned to "tune it out". Now you've got a machine putting out a sound with a different pitch and quality and it's annoying you. We have an air filter in our bedroom that puts out a white noise. It pretty much drowns out the noise from the CPAP machine. The only time I can hear it is sometimes when I first put the mask on. I figure I'm breathing at a faster rate, and as I relax in bed the breathing rate relaxes and the noise level drops. It may just be that it takes a few minutes for the brain to adjust to the noise and tune it out.

We're talking about a very low level of noise here, but it is audible.

The supplier thinks I should give it a couple of days. Perhaps it is just a matter of getting used to it. I've set the flex at 3 but they said if that doesn't work, just turn it off.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Diagnosis] Cheyne Stokes Respiration & Severe OSA Keymom0122 2 93 04-08-2024, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Keymom0122
  Cheynes stoke respiration, false flag or accurate? BDGold99 4 252 03-31-2024, 06:55 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 21,214 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 194 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 218 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,719 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  [CPAP] Cheyne Stokes Respiration and Central Apnea Clusters Aldiorg 8 866 02-19-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.