Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Respiratory Rate Question
Respiratory Rate Question
My normal respiratory rate in Rescan is 16-20. Most nights I spike up into the 30s for a period of time. This normally happens once or maybe twice per night. I am attaching the Rescan output from one night recently where this occurred with a little more amplitude, longer duration, and more occurrences than normal. This is the only night I can remember where these occurrences were this bad.

Does anyone have any idea what this might mean - if anything.

Best regards,

PaytonA

[attachment=871]

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Respiratory Rate Question
My WAG would be REM sleep, and in that particularly bad episode, a nightmare!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
.......... you could go blind doing that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hehe - running in your sleep? Would be curious what your O2 looks like during those periods, and, how long they last? Dream related, or is something going on?
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
I do not know af anything going on and I am back to not remembering most of whatever dreams I may or may not have.

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you feel differently on the mornings after these occurrences?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Need to see your bilevel pressure graph and high rate flow. I have similar rate periods; and when I look at the pressure and rate data, I see a trigger to IPAP that should not have occurred. It probably could be tuned out with the trigger sensitivity or Ti(min) and/or Ti(max.) In my opinion it does not hurt anything. But the approximate 2X normal rate is actually false.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-18-2014, 08:35 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Do you feel differently on the mornings after these occurrences?

Felt as good as normal. Woke right up and did not feel sluggish at all.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-18-2014, 09:05 PM)justMongo Wrote: Need to see your bilevel pressure graph and high rate flow. I have similar rate periods; and when I look at the pressure and rate data, I see a trigger to IPAP that should not have occurred. It probably could be tuned out with the trigger sensitivity or Ti(min) and/or Ti(max.) In my opinion it does not hurt anything. But the approximate 2X normal rate is actually false.

I am using an S8 VPAP Auto 25 in spontaneous mode. IPAP was 20, EPAP was 15. There is no pressure chart and the S8 doesn't give a high rate flow chart.

The trigger sensitivity is set to med and Ti(max) and Ti(min) are set to factory defaults-2.0 and 0.3 seconds respectively. If I remember correctly, I woke up that morning with the VPAP cycling fairly rapidly and continuously from IPAP to EPAP and it would not follow my breath. I could breathe faster or slower than the machine but it kept up its same cyclic rate.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Example of double trigger. A one minute slice just before local midnight. The little "hitch" in flow triggers IPAP and doubles the scored BPM (BPM not shown.)

[Image: doubletrigger.jpg]
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 2 37 23 minutes ago
Last Post: ahuman
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 239 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 116 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 857 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  flow rate and leak rate question sleepingbetterinFl 0 90 03-21-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.