Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help with Respironics PR System One REMstar Auto with A-flex
RE: Help with Respironics PR System One REMstar Auto with A-flex
The original poster hasn't logged in in the past year and a half.

Even on manual CPAP with no EPR, and no apnea to generate "central detetion" pressure pulses, the PRS1 does seem to sort of "pulse" on inhale and exhale. I notice it with a nasal mask as it sort of pumps up and down as I breathe.

I presume it's something to do with the machine adjusting the fan speed up and down trying to keep mask pressure constant as I inhale and exhale.

My S9 machine doesn't seem to do this to the same extend. I know ResMed claims the S9 motor responds more quickly and accurately to regulate pressure. The S9 just feels a lot smoother to me.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-24-2014, 07:36 AM)archangle Wrote: I presume it's something to do with the machine adjusting the fan speed up and down trying to keep mask pressure constant as I inhale and exhale.

I noticed this, too, the other day when I tried a FFM for the first time. I think that once you relax it goes away to some extent. It has to do with how quickly we go from not inhaling to inhaling. In other words, it's the acceleration of the air stream.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-24-2014, 07:36 AM)archangle Wrote: The original poster hasn't logged in in the past year and a half.

Even on manual CPAP with no EPR, and no apnea to generate "central detetion" pressure pulses, the PRS1 does seem to sort of "pulse" on inhale and exhale. I notice it with a nasal mask as it sort of pumps up and down as I breathe.

I presume it's something to do with the machine adjusting the fan speed up and down trying to keep mask pressure constant as I inhale and exhale.

My S9 machine doesn't seem to do this to the same extend. I know ResMed claims the S9 motor responds more quickly and accurately to regulate pressure. The S9 just feels a lot smoother to me.

My S8 VPAP at times give me harsh pulses apparently from EPAP to IPAP and back. They are definitely not any "central detection". The rest of the time it is smooth as silk. Trying to figure out some workaround. Would be a lot easier if it did it all the time. I have noticed that if I shut the machine off and restart it the problem goes away.

On another note, when I set my VPAP Auto to CPAP mode at 20 cm/H2O to do a mask fit, my mask definitely jumps up and down as I breathe. It is due to the fact that the mask pressure increases dramatically on exhale, especially at the beginning of exhale and there is no intentional pressure reduction by the machine for EPR. EPR or bi-level makes that a lot smoother and the mask does not get so jumpy or maybe it is pushups so the mask can keep itself in shape. Nest thing I know the darned thing will want a diet. Too-funny

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-26-2014, 11:27 AM)PaytonA Wrote: My S8 VPAP at times give me harsh pulses apparently from EPAP to IPAP and back. They are definitely not any "central detection".

I'm pretty sure the whole central detection thing started with the prs1 and the s9 units.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,623 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,255 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,400 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 384 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 301 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 231 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 789 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.