Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Respiratory aerosol
RE: Respiratory aerosol
It seems a large part of the confusion here is that your definition of an aerosol is different from the one I learned, which is pretty much the same as the one in the English Wikipedia:

"An aerosol is a suspension of fine solid particles or liquid droplets, in air or another gas. Aerosols can be natural or anthropogenic. Examples of natural aerosols are fog, dust, forest exudates and geyser steam. Examples of anthropogenic aerosols are haze, particulate air pollutants and smoke."

Perhaps there is a different translation in Spanish?
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
The pressure of a CPAP is very low insufficient to low up a balloon pressure is not an issue
Post Reply Post Reply
legionella pneumophila is a slow growing organism that requires weeks to reach potentially infectious levels in fresh water. Since CPAP components do not remain continuously moist for such long periods of time, (with the exception of the humidifier chamber in the case of those who never drain or clean it) any organisms that could be present would never reach hazardous numbers and would die on dry surfaces between uses. You appear to suggest that the organisms are entering the CPAP in the air stream but from where? The habitat of the organism is fresh water and it is not found free in the air or on dust. It is spread by fresh water droplet aerosols which are not likely to be present in our bedroom air.

You state that room humidifiers do not create aerosols but that is not true. The most popular cool mist models humidify the air by generating droplet aerosols. If not routinely cleaned, they are much more likely to cause legionella infection than CPAP machines.

Please understand, I'm not trying to be argumentative but as a microbiologist, want to be sure that readers of this forum do not become concerned they are at risk acquiring legionella infections from their CPAP equipment.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
The incremental humidity resulting from air passing over warm water is not an aerosol, unless it is subsequently cooled to the condensation (dew) point.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Pall did a study several years ago to support the use of antibacterial filters downstream of the humidifier and hose. They inoculated the reservoirs with bacteria and cultured and recovered them from the hoses and masks which proves there is some aerosolization. As I recall they used Resmed S9 machines. When my S10 runs I see some disturbance of the surface of the water. It doesn't take much to generate an aerosol. Simply dipping a wire inoculating loop in a a liquid containing bacteria and removing it will generate an aerosol that can be recovered on petri dishes near the container. That's why, in the clinical lab we always performed even the simplest procedures in a negative pressure biosafety cabinet when working with dangerous pathogens. Fortunately most bacteria, even most pathogens aren't that dangerous.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
Here's the link to the Pall study.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2556912/

As it turns out my memory was a little off. They only sampled the tubing and they used S7 machines. There is no doubt, however, that they detected aerosolizatin. Interestingly, SoClean references this study in support of their system even though it has no relevance.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-23-2020, 09:26 PM)Melman Wrote: legionella pneumophila is a slow growing organism that requires weeks to reach potentially infectious levels in fresh water. Since CPAP components do not remain continuously moist for such long periods of time, (with the exception of the humidifier chamber in the case of those who never drain or clean it) any organisms that could be present would never reach hazardous numbers and would die on dry surfaces between uses. You appear to suggest that the organisms are entering the CPAP in the air stream but from where? The habitat of the organism is fresh water and it is not found free in the air or on dust. It is spread by fresh water droplet aerosols which are not likely to be present in our bedroom air.

You state that room humidifiers do not create aerosols but that is not true. The most popular cool mist models humidify the air by generating droplet aerosols. If not routinely cleaned, they are much more likely to cause legionella infection than CPAP machines.

Please understand, I'm not trying to be argumentative but as a microbiologist, want to be sure that readers of this forum do not become concerned they are at risk acquiring legionella infections from their CPAP equipment.

I already commented that I didn't want to generate controversy, Melman. I am also a microbiologist. Greetings.
Post Reply Post Reply
astracan,

I also had the same concerns(wrongly) as you. Here is a thread that I started and it is related to your concerns.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...humidifier

Hope it helps, car54
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 117 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Poor Sleep Quality/ Respiratory Rates flyingg103 3 252 02-29-2024, 08:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Improve Respiratory Rate? MrIvanDrago 4 347 02-16-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Can respiratory effort be inferred from OSCAR data? alienfrontier 1 229 02-02-2024, 09:22 PM
  Respiratory effort- related arousals (RERA's) MrIvanDrago 3 706 11-01-2023, 01:27 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  [Symptoms] Need help with low respiratory rate issue Lfmichel 4 591 10-30-2023, 09:21 AM
  Miserable Sleep 40+ Respiratory Rate, Doctor Doesn't Know Why SkylarBlue 14 1,252 10-02-2023, 12:58 AM
Last Post: Lucky7

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.