Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Respirionics System One Auto Flex Pressure Prpblem ??
RE: Respirionics System One Auto Flex Pressure Prpblem ??
The reason I was charged is that the System One Auto Flex is up and above what Medicare and my insurance company allows, sort a like brand drugs vs generic.

Very good news to report this morning. Last night I huffed and puffed into the mask and the machine started. The auto on function is working. Secondly and most important the screen showed 13.3 when I got up this morning

In other words the machine is working and all of my worries were in vane.

I do appreciate all of the suggestions and answers to my questions. The forum has been great.

Thanks to everyone.
Bob
Post Reply Post Reply
It's been my experience that the PRS1 machines are a bit harder to auto-start than the the ResMed S9's.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
They require a few good hard breaths first, and I should imagine it would be even harder in a FFM. With nasal pillows I have to blow pretty hard and breath in pretty hard around three or four times, sometimes even then it won't start (but rarely) and I need to start it by hand after the 5th in breath. This is rare, and for me the habit of how to put it on is now automatic. Usually it is harder to start once you have had it on and taken it off once in the night, for any reason. Also, a wee tip, if you are using the humidifier - pre-heat (press down on the big dial button for about five seconds until a light comes on) - even a minute or two will allow the auto-start to come on easier.

The plus side on the Resmed machines is the auto on/off is very fast and easy, as opposed to the Remstars, where the auto on takes a few good puffs and the auto off waits a good minute after you have taken the mask off before it turns off (the Resmed turn off immediately). Other than that, I don't really see much difference - they have different algorithms for finding out where you should be pressure-wise and for recording incidents, but both are comfortable, quiet and well behaved. I think the Remstar has a better filter system, since it has a two stage system from the get-go, while Resmed you have to get a separate fine-particle filter, but I don't think you should have any "buyer's remorse" over your choice - I have used both machines, have the PRS myself and am rather happy with it. Just give it a few hard breaths while you are putting on your mask and adjusting it and it should do the trick.
Post Reply Post Reply
Accepting, requesting, or requiring an upcharge with Medicare is defined as a crime. I am not a lawyer; but, I think you do not owe the upcharge; and could file a grievance with Medicare.
If they agreed to accept one dime from Medicare, then they must not charge more than the 20% copay -- which would be covered by a medigap plan.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
You DME if it accepts medicares plan is NOT allowed to upcharge you from what Medicare pays. By accepting Medicare they enter a contract to accept what medicare pays and medicare has a 20 percent copay of the amount Medicare or any Medicare plan pays. NOT what the DME charges.

That is the law and if your DME upcharged you they broke it. Your Medicare plan would be most interested in knowing this happened and a simple statement your thinking about checking about the upcharge with Medicare will result if a fast refund to you of the illegal upcharge.

Your DME will try to explain it away because they now know you do not know they cannot upcharge you. Until you show them different.

I am on medicare, I have the same machine. Medicare pays the same on that machine or a cpap brick machine. Well above the cost of any auto pap machine. I was not upcharged by my DME but they know I know the codes and regs for medicare and they are an honest DME. Maybe because of that I dont know.

You are being scammed by your DME. There is no doubt about that. I would get my upcharge back or report the upcharge to my medicare insurance plan who will get it back post haste for you. Your DME has committed a Federal Crime, they know they did so. They will crawdad very quickly once they realize you know they did and are about to report them.

Get your 300 bucks back. Its as good in your pocket as it is in the DMEs
Post Reply Post Reply
I noticed my APAP does have auto-start set to "on", but I never even tried to have it auto start, I just pushed the button. Well, about 4 days ago, I was making my preps for bed, and pre-fit my FFM and, all-a-sudden it started blowing on its own. That's ok I guess.

I usually start my machine and my oximeter simultaneously, so I can check for time drift (someone said the PRS 1 has a tendency to drift and I cannot change the clock on it.)

Good luck with yours.
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,622 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,319 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 384 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 300 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Admin Note] Policy clarification [off-site advice & advice given via Private Message system] SuperSleeper 2 2,793 02-06-2024, 09:00 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 406 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 584 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.