Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Respironics 460 Auto-Trial mode
Respironics 460 Auto-Trial mode
I know that the Respironics 460 can be put into auto-trial (APAP) mode for a maximum of 30 days. But if I change it from CPAP to Auto-Trial will it stay that way for 30 days or can I change it back whenever I want?

I'd like to try it just to see how I do on it... Really out of curiosity more than anything. Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Respironics 460 Auto-Trial mode
(07-25-2015, 10:26 AM)ISnoreBadly Wrote: I know that the Respironics 460 can be put into auto-trial (APAP) mode for a maximum of 30 days. But if I change it from CPAP to Auto-Trial will it stay that way for 30 days or can I change it back whenever I want?

I'd like to try it just to see how I do on it... Really out of curiosity more than anything. Thinking-about

On the auto trial mode, it should have a setting for days. On my 560 APAP, you can set the trial for a minimum of 7 days or up to 30. After the trial, it will automatically go back to auto mode with the recommended setting.

I would see no reason why you couldn't stop the trial setting at any time and go back to what your original setting was.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great, thanks. I assume that I have to set a range if I enable that functionality, right? If I was prescribed 12 cm H2O but want to try the APAP mode to see if it makes any difference what range should I go with?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-27-2015, 02:08 PM)ISnoreBadly Wrote: Great, thanks. I assume that I have to set a range if I enable that functionality, right? If I was prescribed 12 cm H2O but want to try the APAP mode to see if it makes any difference what range should I go with?

Do you feel that 12cm has not been working for you? Is that why you want to use the auto trial?

I don't want to tell you to set a start pressure too low, because that will make it harder to breath. If you are used to 12cm, then I would set the trial range
12 minimum to 16 max. Try it for a week or two. Be sure to check on sleepyhead to see where your max and 90% pressures fall.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-27-2015, 05:55 PM)OpalRose Wrote:
(07-27-2015, 02:08 PM)ISnoreBadly Wrote: Great, thanks. I assume that I have to set a range if I enable that functionality, right? If I was prescribed 12 cm H2O but want to try the APAP mode to see if it makes any difference what range should I go with?

Do you feel that 12cm has not been working for you? Is that why you want to use the auto trial?

I don't want to tell you to set a start pressure too low, because that will make it harder to breath. If you are used to 12cm, then I would set the trial range
12 minimum to 16 max. Try it for a week or two. Be sure to check on sleepyhead to see where your max and 90% pressures fall.

It has been working for me, according to SleepyHead my AHI has been under 5 for all but 2 of the last 25 days. It looked to me like I was having some events after being asleep for a little while, so I thought maybe I needed more (or less) pressure during those times to stop those events from happening.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2015, 07:48 AM)ISnoreBadly Wrote:
(07-27-2015, 05:55 PM)OpalRose Wrote:

It has been working for me, according to SleepyHead my AHI has been under 5 for all but 2 of the last 25 days. It looked to me like I was having some events after being asleep for a little while, so I thought maybe I needed more (or less) pressure during those times to stop those events from happening.

Your AHI isn't bad, but probably could be a little better. Are you trying the Auto Trial? Let us know what Pressure it sets at after the trial.

OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2015, 10:28 AM)OpalRose Wrote:
(07-28-2015, 07:48 AM)ISnoreBadly Wrote:
(07-27-2015, 05:55 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Do you feel that 12cm has not been working for you? Is that why you want to use the auto trial?

Your AHI isn't bad, but probably could be a little better. Are you trying the Auto Trial? Let us know what Pressure it sets at after the trial.

I actually just made an appointment to see my doctor on Aug 12th to review the first 30 days of data, I'm not to make any changes to it until I meet with him so I don't skew the results. I'm actually hoping he looks at the data and says "Hm, you could probably use an APAP instead of this CPAP" and changes the prescription.
Post Reply Post Reply
The auto-trial should not skew results as your AHI is known based on 25 days of fixed CPAP. My suggestion for trial mode would be a minimum pressure of 10. Max pressure should not be too important as the algorithm will only go as high as necessary to address flow limitations, snores and other event triggers. You could set it at 20, or more conservatively at 15. The auto-mode could easily place you right back at a fixed pressure of 12, but the greater range would make for a better case for APAP if you want to demonstrate that lower pressure is adequate most of the night, but the machine adjusts upward as needed for certain events.

APAP is still CPAP, but it is more comfortable in that you don't need to constantly stay at your 90% titrated pressure. An important part of the auto experiment should be a log that briefly describes your perception of the quality of sleep. Try making that note before looking at the data.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great advice Sleeprider.

ISnoreBadly,
You have a couple of weeks before seeing the doctor, and testing the auto trial mode now before seeing your doctor may give you the ammunition for getting an APAP.
It couldn't hurt.

OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2015, 11:14 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Great advice Sleeprider.

ISnoreBadly,
You have a couple of weeks before seeing the doctor, and testing the auto trial mode now before seeing your doctor may give you the ammunition for getting an APAP.
It couldn't hurt.

Ah, I didn't think of it that way, good idea.

I'll give the auto setting a try tonight and see how it goes.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,026 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  APAP Trial - First Night's Results - Interpretation? Juicy 9 4,176 03-04-2024, 09:34 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 228 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Difference between S-Mode and VAUTO mode - Aircurve MrIvanDrago 3 243 02-27-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 783 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 671 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 583 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.