Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] Respironics "Amara View" Full Face Mask
RE: Respironics "Amara View" Full Face Mask
Thanks very much for mentioning the venting problem. I had been looking at this mask, but I have a dry eye problem, too, and need a mask that vents away from my face.

(03-31-2016, 07:41 PM)dawoodsman Wrote: The big problem I had was the vent design. Unlike where I think most masks are vented--to jut air flow straight away from the face--the vents on this mask sit right in front of the nose and point UP. So the air flow is washing across your eyes and forehead all night long.

I have a dry eye issue and this vent design was making that worse--I actually liked the mask and might have tried to make it work except for that.

That may or may not bother someone else, but thought it worth mentioning. I think the design is pretty good except for the vent design.

Post Reply Post Reply
I just brought home an Amara View mask, and examined it at the DME with this in mind. There is a roughly quarter inch square hole at the top front of the frame, but this is not the vent. It has a plastic flap behind it which gets pushed closed when the blower is operating; it is the anti-asphyxiation valve, which lets air in when the blower stops. The actual vents are the triple row of tiny holes at the front of the cushion, and they do, in fact, blow away from your face.
On the other hand, if the mask isn't fitting properly, air will blow from the sides of the nose right into the eyes. Since I have a large head, we started with the large cushion, which leaked horribly. I ended up with the small cushion, and the lowest leakage I've every had last night. I have a thirty day trial, and this first night night I think I slept more soundly than ever. If this keeps up, I'm sold.
Post Reply Post Reply
Did you actually plug an amara view in pholynk? I'm going to have to differ with you, unless you have a new model where they fixed the problem.

The row of holes sits on TOP of the mask, in front of the nose--as can be seen in this picture.

[Image: amara.view.front_2.jpg]

Since they sit on top of the mask, it stands to reason the air flow cannot blow to the front, away from you. If flows up, through the holes pointing up.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think that you all are saying the same thing with just different wording of the vent locations. I have the tube attached with Velcro to the top strap so as to have it go over my head to the headboard. The exhaust vent does make the air ricochet off of the hose toward my eyes slightly.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
I see your picture, and I'll raise you mine... Wink

The vent holes don't show up well so I stuck a needle through one of them. The vents are at the top, on the front curve of the mask, and slanting slightly up, which was a surprise to me. If you put something in front of them the air will bounce back at your face. I sleep on my sides, and haven't had that problem. I have had air leak into my eyes from around my nose, but adjusting the straps solved that problem.

After three days, I am still working on adjustments, but I think it shows good promise.

The holes do show up better if you click on the picture...
Post Reply Post Reply
Clarification
Thinking-about
The vent holes are on the front of the cushion as show in Pholynyk's pic. They are located just above the mask as shown in Dawoodsman's pic. So both point are correct The degree of upward ventilation is dependent on the cushion size

I have tried to sizes: The small cushion the air is more upward but also deflects more upward off the upper edge of the mask. On the large cushion in vented more forward over the top of the mask edge.
But when the mask seal breaks around the nose it blow upward into ones eyes on all mask sizes
2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2016, 02:18 PM)0rangebear Wrote: . So both point are correct The degree of upward ventilation is dependent on the cushion size

Maybe there's a difference there. With the one I had, you could hold your hand on your forehead well above the mask, like you are shielding your eyes from the sun while looking off in the distance--and air would hit your hand. So air flow was flowing UP from the mask. Pholynks picture does NOT look like the mask I had--it implies they are facing forward. On my brand new mask they were definately not facing forward! I did call Phillips and they said they had no plans to change the vent design.
Post Reply Post Reply
I started using the Amara View mask and I'm very pleased - small comfortable and no leaks.... like

Also, just bought a buckwheat husk pillow - took a few days to get use but worth the change. You can scrunch it up to suite the mask and sleeping positions (I sleep on my side and stomach)
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeeppp
I remember a few months back you were frustrated with a new sleep Doc. I am glad to see you finding solutions. What ever happen with the side sleeping experiment and the new Doc?

(05-28-2016, 02:47 AM)Sleeeppp Wrote: I started using the Amara View mask and I'm very pleased - small comfortable and no leaks.... like

Also, just bought a buckwheat husk pillow - took a few days to get use but worth the change. You can scrunch it up to suite the mask and sleeping positions (I sleep on my side and stomach)

2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-28-2016, 11:03 AM)0rangebear Wrote: Sleeeppp
I remember a few months back you were frustrated with a new sleep Doc. I am glad to see you finding solutions. What ever happen with the side sleeping experiment and the new Doc?

(05-28-2016, 02:47 AM)Sleeeppp Wrote: I started using the Amara View mask and I'm very pleased - small comfortable and no leaks.... like

Yes - the new machine is fantastic! AHI less 1 98% of the time Big Grin

As expected, sleeping on my side didn't do much at all. Doc No3 not much better than the others so 'flying alone' (which isn't the best thing)....
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] New F&P Evora Full Face Mask yankees123 18 6,891 03-13-2024, 07:52 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Product Review] ResMed F40 Full Face Mask (* new *) WakeUpTime 0 365 03-08-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30i Full Face Mask plakky 6 6,239 12-23-2023, 08:31 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  [Product Review] Respironics Nuance / Pro Mask Review allielb83 52 58,832 01-08-2023, 04:08 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  [Product Review] Resmed AirTouch F20 Full-Face Mask trish6hundred 48 25,408 08-19-2022, 06:57 AM
Last Post: sm315
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30 Full Face Mask Coffee Man 39 22,680 05-08-2022, 01:55 PM
Last Post: drmaestro
  [Product Review] F&P Vitera Full Face SarcasticDave94 7 6,177 12-17-2021, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Mutineer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.