Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] Respironics "Amara View" Full Face Mask
Respironics "Amara View" Full Face Mask
A compilation of thoughts about my new  "Philips Respironics Amara View"  Full Face CPAP Mask.  
Like most of us, mask problems haunt us continually.  I have been using for several years,  a "ResMed Mirage Quattro"  as my alternating (with pillows style)  full face mask. It  never seemed to really fit,  so I went to my reliable DME and she (RT) sent me home with a "ResMed AirFIT F-10".  Name sounds like some sort of fighter jet.  I am a mouth breather,  hater of chin straps, and I wanted some change;  I needed some change.  The AirFit F-10 is sort of a twin brother to the Mirage Quattro, but without the forehead stabilizer part. Same large style. I tried it (ResMed AirFit F-10) for a week or so and was left with the same demoralizing feeling that I had with the ResMed Mirage Quattro.  It was the"it's just not for me"  feeling.    After some rewarding discussion with my DME Respiratory  Therapist (RT) ,   I (we) settled on the latest full face product from Respironics.  It is called the "Amara View".  My  exclamation at first sight  was "wow, you've got to be kidding", this little thingy isn't going to fix my big problem".  My problem, as with a great majority of CPAP users, is in finding a mask that is comfortable while providing results of being a suitable interface between the machine (blower pressure)  and the human anatomy part; called "face".   CPAP masks are likened to bicycle saddles (seats).  No one size fits all fannies.  These are random thoughts and not  listed in "pro" or "con" order. You can categorize them for yourself,  as to your needs. The mask is quite small by standards for full-face masks, and of course is very light weight.   I have used on occasions, as mentioned earlier,   the Mirage Quartro, which nearly doubles the size of this one.  On first glance, you think you are looking at a nasal mask.  I am a mouth breather and I believe that Respironics  focused some of the "Amara View" mask  design with mouth breathers in mind.  There are actually two openings.  Try to stay with me on this! One covers the mouth and the other opening (top)  is where your nares (nostrils) fit.    If you could imagine for a minute,  about the beloved donut.  (Especially: a Krispy Kreme). Ah ha, That got your attention!   This is a one sided donut. You place the donut flat, with hole over your mouth and with your nose resting on the top. There is an opening at the top for your nose to fit into.  All of the skin contact surface is of course made with thin visquene or neoprene, or whatever the thin plastic material is called.  Anyhow, it is very soft and pliable.  It inflates firmly against your face when pressure is started and seals very tightly against your face.  I experienced no leaks even on the first night of trial. I must give much credit to the very professional ( RT) who made the adjustments  during my fitting.   The pillows portion is replaceable and should be routinely replaced for hygienic reasons.   There are a lot of straps to contend with, at least thats  the feeling  that you get for starters.  One strap goes over the ears and one strap  goes under the ears on each side, with connecting straps over the top of your head and at the back of your head.  Don't even think about trying to put this thing back on (after a nature call) with the lights off for the first few nights.  Each of these straps has its own Velcro adjustment.   It  takes some fine tuning with the straps to get the perfect  fit,  but the reward  was a non-leaking mask for me.   Respironics calls it a minimal contact full face mask.  I believe it.  It has not left any red marks or irritation on the bridge of my nose, as yet. There is no obstruction to vision.  Perfect for readers or TV watchers who aren't ready for sleep. The two bottom  straps ( for on and off access)  attach to the front of the mask  to  thin post-like parts.  These  appear  to me,  to be the first thing that may break.   Although I have never broken  a mask in 12 years, this looks like it could be my first.   Once on, the mask is super comfortable and light weight.  The straps and plastic parts are all washable and appear quite durable except for the aforementioned connections.  I think I'm going to love this mask and I also believe that it will be a high demand item for Respironics.  like
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Respironics "Amara View" Full Face Mask
Judge - really appreciate the informative review. It would make it a lot easier to read, however if you broke something that detailed into paragraphs - it is too easy for us older folk to lose our place.
Post Reply Post Reply
is the Amara View the same as the Amara Gel FFM? If so, I will merge the two threads.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...Experience
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Paula...Nope..Not even closely related to the previous Amara Gel FFM.

http://www.rtmagazine.com/2015/06/philip...cpap-mask/
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! I didn't think they were but wanted to make sure. And I was sooper dooper lazy and didn't feel like looking them up.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
I have to agree 100%. I have ZERO mask leaks with my Amara View - and I sleep on my side AND stomach. I'm able to scrunch up my Bucky pillow under my head so the mask can stay off to the side a bit. I LOVE my Bucky - best pillow ever and perfect for positioning yourself for a good snooze, very supportive too. Check out Amazon and get the large size.

It does take a little "tweaking" to get the tension just right on the Amara View, and I've found that a little bit loose tends to form a better seal.

Just a note that it does come in different sizes. I've got a pretty large head and the large seems to fit just fine.

I do get a few lines from the straps in the morning, but nothing that doesn't go away within half an hour of getting vertical. Having a clean shaven face helps a lot too. When I had a goatee it would not work, PERIOD. I can't imagine ANY mask working with a beard.

Mine seems to be most comfortable when I wash my face and mask before each use. I think the oil my skin secrets is enough to let it slide a bit to the side, versus a better tacky contact with the fresh washing. I simply put mine in the sink with a couple of drops of Dawn dish washing detergent and warm water and swish it around a bit, then rinse.

While it might seem insignificant I use Cetafil to wash my face instead of common soap, it's a gentle skin cleanser and seems to be less irritating. Available in a two pack at Costco.

I'm using the provided Resmed software to track my sleep progress with my AirSense auto adjust, while not very sophisticated it works for me since it auto reports every day. I've been consistently getting 99 out of 100 points just about every night. I don't snore any more which makes my girl friend VERY happy since she can sleep too. CPAP along with a Neti pot are the two best things I've bought in the past year.

Post Reply Post Reply
It leaked like crazy for me. Sad
Sleeping better since 01/13/2016 Smile

Masks I have tried to date
AirFit F10-FFM, AirFit N10-Nasal, Mirage Liberty-Hybrid FFM, Mirage Quattro-FFM, Swift FX Nano-Pillow, Mirage Activa LT-Nasal, ComfortGel Blue-FFM, Amara View -FFM, Pilairo Q -Pillow
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Mr.Nifty... 9 mask trials. Although not a Guinness Book record, it's a darn good effort..
Sorry for your disappointment.

This is why I made the remark in my write-up>> (( Each of these straps has its own Velcro adjustment. It takes some fine tuning with the straps to get the perfect fit, but the reward was a non-leaking mask for me. ))
Post Reply Post Reply
Brand new CPAP user and I just moved on from this mask after having some issues with it.

I liked how it felt--really small and fairly inobtrusive compared to full face masks (I really consider this more of a hybrid than a full face mask).

I did have some leaks initially--usually around the sides of my mouth, which side depended on which side of my body I was laying on at the time (I sleep on my side a fair amount).

If I kept it I would have taken a scissors and trimmed out the nasal hole a tad wider--that bothered me a bit, the width of my nose was a fair amount wider than the nasal hole on the mask and I had this sensation of not being able to get a strong breath of air through the nose because of that.

The big problem I had was the vent design. Unlike where I think most masks are vented--to jut air flow straight away from the face--the vents on this mask sit right in front of the nose and point UP. So the air flow is washing across your eyes and forehead all night long.

I have a dry eye issue and this vent design was making that worse--I actually liked the mask and might have tried to make it work except for that.

That may or may not bother someone else, but thought it worth mentioning. I think the design is pretty good except for the vent design.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ed, I moved your post to its own thread in the Main Forum where you can get the answers you need faster. This is the Review Forum.

You can find the thread here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...Amara-View
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] ResMed F40 Full Face Mask (* new *) WakeUpTime 2 684 03-27-2024, 03:35 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  [Product Review] New F&P Evora Full Face Mask yankees123 18 7,030 03-13-2024, 07:52 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30i Full Face Mask plakky 6 6,310 12-23-2023, 08:31 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  [Product Review] Respironics Nuance / Pro Mask Review allielb83 52 59,027 01-08-2023, 04:08 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  [Product Review] Resmed AirTouch F20 Full-Face Mask trish6hundred 48 25,617 08-19-2022, 06:57 AM
Last Post: sm315
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30 Full Face Mask Coffee Man 39 22,835 05-08-2022, 01:55 PM
Last Post: drmaestro
  [Product Review] F&P Vitera Full Face SarcasticDave94 7 6,241 12-17-2021, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Mutineer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.