Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Respironics Amara View and DreamWear FFM
Respironics Amara View and DreamWear FFM
hi everyone, 

i am new to the forum (but not new to being treated for sleep apnea) and am thankful for all the advice and helpful posts i have been reading. 

i have been searching the posts and have not found one related to the problem i am having. i am a mouth breather.

i came from a ResMed Mirage Quattro FFM, and am currently using the Respironics Amara View. I LOVE the nasal openings and how this mask feels. between a new machine and the new mask, i have been waking up very refreshed. 

my issue lies in that when i open my mouth at night. apparently it is slightly wider than the bottom of mask, and because of that i am getting some leakage and a higher AHI. my first night with the mask was a 1.8. been around 3 with 20-25% leakage ever since. even though i measured out at the medium cushion, i switched to the large to see if that made a difference. it improved from me ended up with the bottom of the mask in my mouth to on my lower lip.

i was thinking of switching to the newer DreamWear FFM, and was wondering if any fellow "big mouths" could shed some light if this is an issue on that mask as well, or if the mouth opening is bigger than that on the Amara View. Also, with the solid tubing, does it stay in place better?

thanks for your help in advance!

Big Mouth Tom
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Respironics Amara View and DreamWear FFM
Have you tried a chin strap, neck pillow, or Somnifix mouth tape?
Post Reply Post Reply
tmaertin, I'm not (much of) a mouth breather yet I do have years of PAP therapy; I've always used nasal masks and nasal pillows.  But don't give up on me yet – I've been struggling with leaks and I urge you to keep the mask you like, and look for a solution to the leaks such as the excellent suggestions MrZennie has made.  From the posts I've read in the forum I've learned that getting a comfortable mask is the most challenging part of making PAP therapy successful.  Near the top is leaks, but that's easier than finding a comfortable+effective mask – as you've experienced yourself.

Happy PAPing!
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the Airfit F20 and had the same problem with leaks when my jaw dropped open. The best solution for me was a soft cervical collar.  It has the additional benefit of preventing chin tucks.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Not yet - the chin strap seams like a great idea...I may start there

My girlfriend really seemed to enjoy the idea of taping my mouth shut...

(06-25-2018, 09:02 PM)Melman Wrote: I use the Airfit F20 and had the same problem with leaks when my jaw dropped open. The best solution for me was a soft cervical collar.  It has the additional benefit of preventing chin tucks.

This sounds like a great idea - thank you! What brand collar do you use?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2018, 01:44 PM)MrZennie Wrote: Have you tried a chin strap, neck pillow, or Somnifix mouth tape?

I just saw your post on soft collars - checking that out now - thank you so much!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,258 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [Diagnosis] ATRIAL FIBRILLATION - CONTRARIAN VIEW? srlevine1 9 357 03-05-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 231 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamwear frame sizing ahuman 3 296 02-23-2024, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 789 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 678 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,433 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.