Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Respironics AutoSV Faulty?
Respironics AutoSV Faulty?
I'm new to PAP therapy. A few days ago, I went in for a titration study wherein I was comparing the ResMed ASV Auto against the Respironics AutoSV. The first half of the night, I used the ResMed and the machine operated as I’d expected. Namely, breathing was quite gentle. I could feel how the ResMed ASV Auto was not only adjusting pressures but also volumes. I slept reasonably well.

Unfortunately, my experience with the Phillips Respironics AutoSV for the second half of the night was far from pleasurable. Breathing was very forced. In brief, the Respironics supplied a breath on a timed basis regardless of my natural breathing rate. I’d estimate that roughly every 3 seconds the machine tried to give me another breath.

In particular, even if I was exhaling or resting between breaths, the machine would try to push another breath at the set interval - albeit at a somewhat reduced pressure in comparison to when I was actually inhaling. For each natural breath I took, the machine tried to push at least one, and sometimes two, additional breaths on me. It was very unpleasant and the only way I could fall asleep was to chest breath at the faster rate the machine was imposing.

I complained to the Technician who seemed to believe that I just needed to get used to the machine. This was surprising to hear since I had already used the ResMed ASV Auto for the first half of the night without issue and I thought the two machines were similar in operation. I slept very fitfully with the Respironics. I was woken often by large bubbles of air exiting my mouth. Eventually, I had to leave my mouth open to get better sleep. The machine never seemed to change this mode of operation.

I'm a novice so I have no point of reference for ASV operation other than the first half of the night with the ResMed ASV. If I had to try to guess at the cause of the Respironics behavior, I’d say that the sensor that monitors exhalation was faulty. It felt like the machine couldn’t tell I was breathing. It felt like the Respironics was stuck in a central apnea mode wherein it helps the user to breathe at times when they stop breathing on their own.

So was the Technician right? Is this how the Respironics AutoSV operates, or was something wrong with the either the machine or its configuration? I’d thought that the ResMed and Respironics ASV devices were similar in operation but based upon my experience, this was far from being the case. Are there any Respironics AutoSV users or experts that would be willing share their own experience with this machine and, if it wasn't working properly, speculate on what the issue was?

Thanks for listening.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Respironics AutoSV Faulty?
Well now you know which one to request! Your experience not uncommon and many people prefer the Resmed ASV vs Philips Auto SV Advanced. There are more settings in the Philips machines to try to make it more compliant with your breathing rate, but the ASVauto just seems to do it naturally with less hassle. Many members using both machines have posted graphs and sleep therapy results on the forum, and it seems the Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV users adapt faster with far fewer events. Hopefully you will hear from some of the first-hand users of these machines.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Greggory,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I would ask for the Resmed machine, since it felt more natural to Hang in there for more answers to your question, good luck on your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Without a doubt, the ResMed was better. I'm just trying to figure out if there was a problem with the Respironics machine as I'd heard that their ASV machine was considered by some to be even more gentle than ResMed. I'm trying to recover my health so I want to try to get the best possible machine for me from the start. As such, I'm wondering if I should retry the Respironics with another provider or if this is just the way these machines operate.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are settings in the Respironics machine that might have made your life easier. In particular that machine has a BPM (breaths per minute) setting that can be set to OFF, AUTO or 4-30 bpm. With the Resmed it is almost always automatically controlled by the Pacewave algorithm, but if it was set to a specific breath rate that was not correct for you in the Philips machine, then you would be forced to deal with the pace set by that setting.

It's not a defect. I suspect it was a setting issue.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, that's awesome to know. Thank you very much Sleeprider.

I probably should have thought of this sooner, but I'm going to download the Respironics manual and read it over thoroughly. I also want to read up on the ResMed Pacewave algorithm; it sounds interesting. I guess I've got some learning to do.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,052 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 229 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 783 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  AutoSV data interpretation assistance needed PappaJoe 21 687 02-11-2024, 09:38 AM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 673 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,406 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  Philips Respironics DreamStation not reaching Max Pressure Xsoldier2000 15 2,294 01-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Tom Buck

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.