Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] Amara Gel FFM Experience
Amara Gel FFM Experience
Finally got the Amara gel ffm. First night, leaked so much I went back to my old mask. Watched video to make sure I was putting it on right and I was.

Second night, same thing so I went to the DME to make sure I was putting it on correctly. I was. DME gave me a small cushion, threw in an extra SD card and a case to put it in.

Third night, started out with the small cushion. 2 hours, as far as I know, all was okay. Then, 2 times, the tubing popped off of the mask and it was leaking like crazy. Went back to the medium cushion to see if I got better results. It kept leaking and the tubing popped off as well as the top head gear on the right side (where the forehead piece is). I woke up to my tubing on the floor and the machine running (not sure how long that was going on before I woke up).

Has anyone else experienced this? Respironics has authorized the mask to be sent back as defective and they will replace it so that isn't a problem.

[attachment=538]
[attachment=539]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Amara Gel FFM Experience
I have had similar issues with the GEL leaking more then the older 'standard' mask. I currently have a medium standard cushion and they gave me the GEL to test but it was a Large so I figured that had something to do with it. I'm getting a medium replacement on Tuesday so I'll let you know if that helps.

I've never had any issue with the Amara head gear or tubing coming off, but was wondering if a smaller mask might work better, perhaps not...
Post Reply Post Reply
Will be interesting to see what happens with your amara gel. My replacement came in yesterday but they won't bring it to me until Monday. Will post how that goes.

welcome to the forum.
Post Reply Post Reply
So I got my Amara Gel and I'm not overly impressed with it. It seems to fart and have to be super tight to get a seal.

On the plus side they gave me 2 other masks to try. The Resmed Mirage Liberty FFM and the Mirage Activa™ LT nasal mask.
The Liberty is too wide for my face and air just shoots out both sides by my mouth but the Mirage Activa™ LT nasal mask is amazing!

Is there something different about nasal masks that can't be done with full face? The Mirage Activa™ LT nasal mask sucks onto my face even at pressures like 18 or 20, no leaks at all and it doesn't even feel that strong. I do notice though when I turn off the machine and try to breath with my nose it is very hard and the mask sucks onto my face. It would be nice to have a full face mask 'suck' onto your face like that but it is impossible because the valve systems are different to ensure you don't suffocate if the power goes out?
Post Reply Post Reply
I have tried the Amara Gel for 3 nights and end up changing masks because it has mask farts and even though I changed to a small cushion and small head gear, it still has mask farts. They continually wake me up. So, I tightened the head gear as much as I could and still had mask farts and continual waking up. I keep trying to see if it gets better because I wanted to give it a chance but I don't know what else I can do to stop the mask farts and huge leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
My previous mask was a Resmed ultra-mirage in a medium. Into the afternoon I have the lines on the face from the tightness, so my provider suggested the Amara Gel mask, and in a large.

I had to pull it down so tite to prevent leaks that I had a large red mark across the bridge of the nose. The provider then ordered me a gel cushion for the nose bridge. I haven't bothered to sleep with gel cushion, as I feel so much more poorly the next day with the Amara Gel, regardless of my numbers from that nite.

I have gone back my Ulta-Mirage, and its still another couple of months before I can try a different mask.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] Respironics "Amara View" Full Face Mask JudgeMental 34 33,619 09-07-2019, 01:18 AM
Last Post: st8800
  [Product Review] F&P Forma and Phillips Amara Full Face masks TomR1 16 18,486 11-01-2013, 08:38 PM
Last Post: me50

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.