Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leaking: long time user suddenly unable to diagnose and solve leak issue(s)
RE: Leaking: long time user suddenly unable to diagnose and solve leak issue(s)
What they said.

Another possible issue with the P10 can be a defective cushion, but that doesn't sound like what you are dealing with. But for anyone have mysterious leak issues with the P10, look at the stems - I wrote about my experience comparing 2 sets of new P10's (regular vs. For Her), one of which had a defective cushion that leaked no matter what I tried. You'll know if you are dealing with a defective cushion if one stem is noticeably shorter than the other. See the review section for details, it is in the P10 thread.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for your comments; much appreciated.  I'll address your suggestions and notes below, and then update with charts since my last post.  
  • I actually read incredibly helpful mask primer when I first started this over a year ago, and re-read it prior to posting this.  Same goes for the Leaks section in the Sleepy Head "Beginner's Guide."
  • Chin straps: I did try the "Respironics Premium Chin Strap" on and off for about four nights.  I disliked it greatly and it affected my sleep negatively.  I did, however, also a try a regular Ace bandage that is meant for holding ice to your joints (among other things).  This was a bit more comfortable but also tended to fall off.  Either way I did not see a consistent improvement, with one caveat that I will address in my charts.
  • Item care: I follow suggested AirFit P10 cleaning procedures and replacement schedules (on the latter, however, I often extend the timeline as I don't often seen much wear).
  • Switching from the P10: you'll have to pry this mask from my cold, dead hands Tongue I tried so many during the first 4-6 weeks.  Was on the verge of losing my mind until I was given the P10 by my DME and boom, all the leaks and discomfort of forced sleep positions were 99% gone.  The curse of being a side-stomach sleeper I guess.
I guess that leaves the suggestions for chin up bandage, cervical collar, or just plain old tape - on the latter, just scotch tape? vertical? horizontal?  Here is data for the last two nights plus one nap.  Please note two things: First, I lowered my pressure range (to 8.5-16 from 10-17). Second, I used the Ace bandage as a makeshift chin strap for both night sessions, but not the afternoon nap.

[Image: HUQmU5p.png]

[Image: xoLDWj9.png]
[Image: Tjn4Xyj.png]

In retrospect, I did neglect to mention one change that may be relevant - I've cut weight.  I'm currently 5'10, 193 lbs.  Most of 2017 I sat at around 245 pounds.  I couldn't imagine how this would negatively affect me, hence not mentioning it in OP.  It seems as if - for whatever reason - starting at some point in the last few months, I started breathing through my mouth - at least part of the time.  And to a greater degree as time has gone on.  Profoundly weird.

As always, your comments are much appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you been on any new medication?
I only ask this because I was never a mouth breather until I was on Oxycodone hydrochloride . It's taken me a few weeks to control my mouth breathing (tong press roof of mouth) again.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are multiple chin straps available.
I did not have too much success with the ultimate chin strap but the Ruby style stopped my leaks.
Airsense 11, Airsense 10, Airmini, P10 and P30i
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2018, 01:48 PM)Sora Wrote: Thank you all for your comments; much appreciated.  I'll address your suggestions and notes below, and then update with charts since my last post.  
  • I actually read incredibly helpful mask primer when I first started this over a year ago, and re-read it prior to posting this.  Same goes for the Leaks section in the Sleepy Head "Beginner's Guide."
  • Chin straps: I did try the "Respironics Premium Chin Strap" on and off for about four nights.  I disliked it greatly and it affected my sleep negatively.  I did, however, also a try a regular Ace bandage that is meant for holding ice to your joints (among other things).  This was a bit more comfortable but also tended to fall off.  Either way I did not see a consistent improvement, with one caveat that I will address in my charts.
  • Item care: I follow suggested AirFit P10 cleaning procedures and replacement schedules (on the latter, however, I often extend the timeline as I don't often seen much wear).
  • Switching from the P10: you'll have to pry this mask from my cold, dead hands Tongue I tried so many during the first 4-6 weeks.  Was on the verge of losing my mind until I was given the P10 by my DME and boom, all the leaks and discomfort of forced sleep positions were 99% gone.  The curse of being a side-stomach sleeper I guess.
I guess that leaves the suggestions for chin up bandage, cervical collar, or just plain old tape - on the latter, just scotch tape? vertical? horizontal?  Here is data for the last two nights plus one nap.  Please note two things: First, I lowered my pressure range (to 8.5-16 from 10-17). Second, I used the Ace bandage as a makeshift chin strap for both night sessions, but not the afternoon nap.

[Image: HUQmU5p.png]

[Image: xoLDWj9.png]
[Image: Tjn4Xyj.png]

In retrospect, I did neglect to mention one change that may be relevant - I've cut weight.  I'm currently 5'10, 193 lbs.  Most of 2017 I sat at around 245 pounds.  I couldn't imagine how this would negatively affect me, hence not mentioning it in OP.  It seems as if - for whatever reason - starting at some point in the last few months, I started breathing through my mouth - at least part of the time.  And to a greater degree as time has gone on.  Profoundly weird.

As always, your comments are much appreciated.

Nexcare First Aid Gentle Medical Tape, available at your local drugstore, was recommended to me.  I have some of the chin-up bandages, would be happy to send you a few sheets if you'd like to try them, just PM your address and i'll pop them in the mail.  I can't use them, while they did hold the chin up pretty well, for some reason I was still prone to opening the lips, plus they kinda stuck to the whiskers a bit, something I know I could have solved with a lotion or something.  I had more success with a cervical collar (which is odd, since my jaw actually moves more freely with it than taping over the mouth or with the chin-up strips), leaks are practically non-existent with either the P10 or Brevida.
My collar is the Caldera, available on Amazon.
Post Reply Post Reply
Over five years of CPAP, I too have endured periods of high leakage, so you are doing well to be watching it and analyzing it. I agree that it looks like you are loosing air out of your mouth. But one thing you could try is to sleep without the humidifier for a night. On my (now retired) S9, the humidifier gasket required replacement every 12-18 months or it would leak. I noticed when traveling (CPAP without humidifier) that my leak numbers dropped wayyy off.

One post above suggested using tape on your lips for a night or two. I've done that too - I don't like it, but it does help troubleshoot chinstrap position and effectivness.

Because I'm a side-sleeper when on a flat bed, I've also raised my legs and shoulders into a "zero gravity" position to keep me on my back (again, as a troubleshooting measure). That often helps level my leak graphs as the pillow isn't pushing the mask off of my face when I turn on my side. I can better see the "baseline" leak. Switching from a Mirage FX nasal to the standard DreamWear mask helped me a lot with this problem - and got the hose out of my way too.

My doctor also confirmed that with my weight-watchers program 35 lb weight loss, I needed lower pressure. That helped get my leak numbers under control. If you've also noticed an increase in Central Apneas, that's another clue that your pressure may be too high. (your graphs above don't show a lot of CAs, so maybe not your issue)

When I'm going through what you are doing, I keep a spreadsheet with my leak numbers, mask settings, and other detailed comments about what I've "done" (changed) that night to troubleshoot. Hope you've found some useful ideas that are working for you by reaching out to this forum.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weird O2ring issue cps22 0 42 Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Last Post: cps22
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 38 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 383 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 215 03-27-2024, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 243 03-27-2024, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,453 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 107 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.