Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Respironics Dreamstation Bluetooth
Respironics Dreamstation Bluetooth
Sorry if this issue has been addressed previously. I did not find any mention of it using the search feature although I am not sure I understand how that feature really works.

This post is about my experience with the Bluetooth feature of Phillips Respironics Dreamstation and Dreammapper web page. I have had my new Dreamstation for over a month now. I like to see each night's results during the following morning. So I tried the Bluetooth feature which is fine for what it does when it works, but is not a reliable connection. I use an iPhone for my Bluetooth upload. I can sometimes re-establish the connection in the iPhone's Bluetooth display by reconnecting to the Dreamstation. That doen't always work. If I turn off the iPhone Bluetooth and then back on I can reconnect some of the time with that method. This morning I used the "Dish" method of pulling the plug on the Dreamstation, waiting 10 seconds, then plugging it back in and was able to reconnect that way.

I am not sure what all is in play here, but has anyone come up with a longer term solutions to this Bluetooth loss of connection problem?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Respironics Dreamstation Bluetooth
I had exactly the same experience with my DreamStation and iPhone. I don't know which side to blame but I gave up after a couple of weeks. I put a Wifi SD card in my DreamStation and use SleepMaster to transfer the data and SleepyHead to look at how I slept. It is not quite as convenient as the iPhone app should be, but it works 100% reliably and shows more information. But you need a computer not an iPhone.
Post Reply Post Reply
Th frequencies used by Bluetooth and WiFi are actually in the same band (about 2.5 ghz.) and should have similar transmission characteristics. However whereas WiFi uses fairly broadband channels (up to 25 mhz. wide) and transmits on only one or at most a few of them at a time, Bluetooth uses spread spectrum techniques hopping between as many as 79 1mhz wide channels in the same band. This means the receiver must know how to follow the hops, and if they get out of sync that can cause signal loss. Also they can by happenstance use the same frequencies simultaneously if both are going at once, and this too can cause problems.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2016, 12:57 PM)chill Wrote: I put a Wifi SD card in my DreamStation and use SleepMaster to transfer the data and SleepyHead to look at how I slept.

Could you share which WiFi SD card you use? Was there any special setup or formatting you had to do to the card to ensure it worked with the DreamStation? Were you able to transfer your pre-existing data onto the new card?
Post Reply Post Reply
Go to sleepmaster.org and click the big, blue button. All of your questions will be answered. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2016, 12:57 PM)chill Wrote: I had exactly the same experience with my DreamStation and iPhone. I don't know which side to blame...

I'd blame the iPhone. I'm using a low end LG phone and have yet to have a connection issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
Presently I do not have a WiFi SD card in my Dreamstation. Since I qualified to receive the Dreamstation through Medicare it came with a modem which effects the Bluetooth operation in some way. The modem uploads information that my supplier has access to, but it, for the moment, does not update my Dreammapper web pages as does my wife's Resmed Air Sense update her Resmed web page. Medicare requires this information for the purpose of qualifying the end user. I could go on about how Medicare complicates your life, but that is another topic for another day.

The tech support at Phillips had me remove the modem while "repairing" the Bluetooth connection with my iPhone 5s. The Phillips tech support said in their email that they had been having trouble with the current Apple IOS version and their engineers were working on it. There are days I think that it is not good to be part of the beginning stages of some technology since most often the suppliers do not have all the bugs worked out and the early customers get to live through all that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is there a way to transfer the DreamStation data too Sleepyhead or EncorePro via Bluetooth?
Post Reply Post Reply
Either of those would need a Bluetooth feature and your computer would need to be equipped with Bluetooth functionality.

My computer does not, but I purchased a Bluetooth dongle that works. Now I need Sleepyhead to have the Bluetooth feature. I asked this question previously and was advised that it was not high on the priority list.

If you can substitute a Class 10 Toshiba FlashAir SD card [see reply to this thread] with the SD card that came with the machine and acquired Sleepmaster software [freeware] you might avoid the Bluetooth issue. I am not sure in my case that I can make the substitution due to Medicare qualification requirements.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have discovered that if I cannot restore my Bluetooth connection with my iPhone 5s I just need to uplug the Dreamstation wait 10 seconds then plug it in. This seems to be the fastest way to restore the connection without going through the much longer process of re-pairing both devices. Unfortunately this means I must wait until my wife gets up to do this. So if I check it before going to bed the night before and it wont connect then I just do the unplugging routine before using it that night and usually the connection holds overnight. It is just inconvenient either way.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 184 29,830 04-01-2024, 12:26 PM
Last Post: RayBee
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 267 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 858 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 870 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,720 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  Philips Respironics DreamStation not reaching Max Pressure Xsoldier2000 15 2,400 01-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Tom Buck
  Respironics Recall Resolved Jeremy H 0 372 09-16-2023, 05:20 AM
Last Post: Jeremy H

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.