Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Respironics Dreamstation problems
Respironics Dreamstation problems
I've been using a Respironics Dreamstation with heated tube and humidifier for 16 months. A couple of months ago I required a replacement when I couldn't get rid of an obnoxious odor, something like burning plastic. I'll  come back to the odor later.  

The new machine started making a clicking sound 5 days ago. I can't use it; it keeps me awake. I have troubleshot it and have been able to exclude the following as causes: Nasal pillow, tubing, humidifier and filters. The noise persists even when all of the above are disconnected, with the machine in a different location.  I would appreciate any inputs from those experiencing the same problem. 

Back to the odor. It came back with the new machine!  I wash my mask daily; the tubing and tank every three days. I switched from dishwashing liquid to vinegar and water, just in case the detergent was causing the smell. No good. It does not smell immediately when I go to sleep, but it will wake me up two or three hours later. It is repugnant.  Anyone else experiencing this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Respironics Dreamstation problems
(09-24-2017, 09:53 PM)Rimaggio Wrote: I've been using a Respironics Dreamstation with heated tube and humidifier for 16 months. A couple of months ago I required a replacement when I couldn't get rid of an obnoxious odor, something like burning plastic. I'll  come back to the odor later.  

The new machine started making a clicking sound 5 days ago. I can't use it; it keeps me awake. I have troubleshot it and have been able to exclude the following as causes: Nasal pillow, tubing, humidifier and filters. The noise persists even when all of the above are disconnected, with the machine in a different location.  I would appreciate any inputs from those experiencing the same problem. 

Back to the odor. It came back with the new machine!  I wash my mask daily; the tubing and tank every three days. I switched from dishwashing liquid to vinegar and water, just in case the detergent was causing the smell. No good. It does not smell immediately when I go to sleep, but it will wake me up two or three hours later. It is repugnant.  Anyone else experiencing this?

Do you have the machine on a good surge protector? You might be getting power surges causing burning inside the works? Like a panhandle burning on a pot that you don't have situated correctly on a stove burner?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Rimaggio,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Let your Durable Medical Equipment, (DME,) provider know about your problem with this second machine, it should still be under warranty, so keep on calling them 'till you get your machine exchanged.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and good luck with CPAP therapy and getting your problem resolved.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Please! Other than externaly created surges, like lightning, no such variations occur within our home circuitry. Hardly a possible source of noise.
Post Reply Post Reply
They replaced the machine on account of the noise. Respironics should investigate although I dare say this may be a random ocurence.  What is definitely not random, but a pattern, is the noxious odor. I am exceeding the cleaning instructions but it still occurs. I am convinced that it can not be "cleaned away". That is certainly something that Respironics needs to investigste and remedy. Do you have any way of making them aware of the issue?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-29-2017, 09:29 PM)Rimaggio Wrote: They replaced the machine on account of the noise. Respironics should investigate although I dare say this may be a random ocurence.  What is definitely not random, but a pattern, is the noxious odor. I am exceeding the cleaning instructions but it still occurs. I am convinced that it can not be "cleaned away". That is certainly something that Respironics needs to investigste and remedy. Do you have any way of making them aware of the issue?

Phillips Respironics isn't known for dealing with the end user. You would probably have to go through your DME or whoever the machine was purchased from. There is usually a two year warranty.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had same problem with the clicking. It's coming from the humidifier lid. I got new humidifier and problem solved.
Post Reply Post Reply
I lowered my humidifier setting and the clicking went away.

2 on heating hose and 2 on humidifier.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great, that clicking is really irritating.
Post Reply Post Reply
My friend and I have both noticed this. He recently bought a new water reservoir and says that he no longer smells the burnt plastic smell.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,067 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,010 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 231 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 787 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 222 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 675 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.