Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Respironics Dreamwear Nasal Mask
RE: Respironics Dreamwear Nasal Mask
Wouldn't a petroleum product (ie chapstick) be advised against with the types of materials that DreamWear is made of?
"I am not a Doctor, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2016, 11:50 AM)Want2SleepInMT Wrote: Wouldn't a petroleum product (ie chapstick) be advised against with the types of materials that DreamWear is made of?

I honestly don't know. I have heard, or was told by the guy that set my machine up, that a little lanolin oil is recommended, but I don't have any of that sitting on my bedside stand.

Hand lotion is available at my local bedside stand, although, while it does sting chapped skin, mine is lanolin based, but also has other stuff in it.

I'm pretty sure the nose piece is just silicon, which is pretty stable stuff, unlike many rubbers that do deteriorate in contact with many petroleum products. Vaseline might also work, but is also a petroleum product. Hmmm. Maybe I should try some KY Jelly.;-)

According to one compatibility chart I found on an O-ring company web site, silicon rubber does "fair" (but, not excellent) with paraffins, motor oil, mineral oils and lard. The site didn't list lanolin or carnauba wax.

I guess that, if my nose pillow gets either stiff or too floppy before it's time to replace it, I'll have to start following my instructions more closely. Grrrr.
Post Reply Post Reply
Apparently silicon rubber is super resistant to both peanut oil and sodium chloride. Maybe I should start buying some of that all natural peanut butter and keep it on my bedside stand. Then, just dip my finger into the peanut oil floating on the top of the peanut butter every night and put a dab under my nose for lube. Hmmm.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2016, 06:29 PM)nsherry61 Wrote: Apparently silicon rubber is super resistant to both peanut oil and sodium chloride. Maybe I should start buying some of that all natural peanut butter and keep it on my bedside stand. Then, just dip my finger into the peanut oil floating on the top of the peanut butter every night and put a dab under my nose for lube. Hmmm.

doh! you'll end up with a brown nose....

Dielaughing
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using this mask, my first, for nine weeks now. Thinking about how my nights go it looks something lie this...

Put mask on, turn on my side. Nose itches, scratch. Mask making sound, adjust. Roll to back...fall asleep. Turn to side, wake up hearing mask or breathing in mask, adjust. Roll to back wake up notice mask is loose, pull strap down in back, adjust.

Repeat some combination of all these thing 5-6 times a night, every night.

Dont-know

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2016, 06:45 PM)DariaVader Wrote:
(01-19-2016, 06:29 PM)nsherry61 Wrote: Apparently silicon rubber is super resistant to both peanut oil and sodium chloride. Maybe I should start buying some of that all natural peanut butter and keep it on my bedside stand. Then, just dip my finger into the peanut oil floating on the top of the peanut butter every night and put a dab under my nose for lube. Hmmm.

doh! you'll end up with a brown nose....

Dielaughing

...And I"d be sure to get "plain", not "crunchy"Dielaughing
Inspired
Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
Quit sleeping on your back--you'll get better results! That cushion can move around--I fought mine all last night with leaks--didn't wake up enough to think to reach around and pull the headband down--it had slipped. Once I did that things went better. I've never had a large leak however.
Post Reply Post Reply
Because DreamWear seals very differently than a pillow mask, any leaks are much more noticeable = annoying than with pillows... I think.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2016, 02:03 PM)lngtrm1 Wrote: I have been using this mask, my first, for nine weeks now. Thinking about how my nights go it looks something lie this...

Put mask on, turn on my side. Nose itches, scratch. Mask making sound, adjust. Roll to back...fall asleep. Turn to side, wake up hearing mask or breathing in mask, adjust. Roll to back wake up notice mask is loose, pull strap down in back, adjust.

Repeat some combination of all these thing 5-6 times a night, every night.

Dont-know

I don't recommend sleeping on your back as this increases OSA.

I, too, go through a similar sequence but form one side to the other: I notice that it got worse with the aging of the nose cushion. Once I replaced it, things got better.

Adjustment of the straps seems to be critical: too loose and I wake up with a lot of leaks and also nose itching, tickling and I wake up. Too tight: my nose bridge hurts and become irritated even with the BHA Lanolin cream. Just right: no leaks, no itching and no nose irritation.

It took a few days to get use to the noise. But now, I will wake thinking the machine stopped until I lift the mask from my face. It seems that I have tuned out the noise as I can hear other things in the house.

Hope you become friends with your mask.

Walt
Walter W. Olson, Ph.D., P.E.
Mechanical Engineering
Professor Emeritus, Professional Engineer
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2016, 07:12 PM)SideSleeper Wrote: Quit sleeping on your back--you'll get better results!

(01-20-2016, 08:21 PM)wolson Wrote: I don't recommend sleeping on your back as this increases OSA.

CPAP treatment helps to stop obstructive events, regardless of sleeping position. One of the benefits of CPAP treatment is that a person can sleep in whatever position they get the best sleep, and not have to fear or avoid sleeping on their back. Back sleeping also only increases OSA in some people, not all.

Unless someone has been specifically told by their doctor to avoid back sleeping, they shouldn't worry about it. When a person has a sleep test one of the things that should be evaluated is whether they need fixed pressure (CPAP) or variable pressure (APAP). If fixed pressure, that means back sleeping shouldn't matter. If APAP, that means the pressure should increase as/if needed, which would include for back sleeping.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,056 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 99 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 321 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,077 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,224 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 230 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamwear frame sizing ahuman 3 294 02-23-2024, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Nightynite

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.