Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Respironics Flex setting
RE: Respironics Flex setting
Hi,

On the dreamstation when I used c-flex + I had it on setting of 2, when on a-flex on 1. Otherwise too much exhale. I tried the airsense 10 on epr settings and found the respironics a bit smoother between inhale and exhale and found it easier to breath in and out (more comfortable). On airsense 10 I had to have it on 3 as at 2 I felt pressure against me to push out, on 3 at times I felt I didn't get enough air. One of the reasons I chose the dreamstation is that I felt more relaxed in breathing. I do sometimes have that feeling its rushing me to breath but less noticeable now over time.
Cheers
Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
The warning about ramp isnt applicable to the pr560p.
If you fall asleep and have an event during ramp the machine will raise pressure as needed, then return to ramp mode where it left off.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2015, 08:32 AM)VTSleeper Wrote: Last night was my first night with my PRS1 Auto 560P. I set the "Flex" setting to 3, which provides the highest relief in air pressure for when exhaling.

My question is this: Is there any reason to have the setting lower? I feel like I am missing something here.

Your question reflects my sentiments perfectly when I started out. I think part of the reason for my bewilderment was that I personally found it SO much more comfortable on the highest settings that I didn't get why anyone would set it to something else. To me it was like having a setting called "pain" with an option of 1-3 Big Grin - "why the hell does the option exist, unless I'm losing something by using 3"?!

What I've found in addition to the other advice people have given is that some of us breathe much differently. Breathing out against the pressure was crazy difficult for me, so the 3 setting was a god send, in fact even that was difficult for me. But for some people it's very easy, hence the different settings.

Anyhow, my advice if you are just starting out is to choose the most comfortable flex setting for you, because right now being able to adapt and get a good nights sleep is most important. Once you're very used to it and it's easy to sleep with, play with it if you want to see if you can notice or experience an improvements with one setting versus another.

I'm still on level 3 after a year of treatment, and my AHI events which were 40 per hour during my sleep test are now consistently under 1 per hour and I've even had entire nights with 0 AHI. In other words, using the highest comfort setting does not stop you from achieving effective treatment - use what works best for you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 181 28,813 03-10-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,015 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirSense 10 Max Pressure setting Tomt 13 812 03-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Tomt
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 219 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 754 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 623 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Air Sense 11 - Pressure Setting goblue2024 3 404 01-10-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: dataq1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.