Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Philips Amara View
Humidifier: dreamstation
CPAP Pressure: 9 cm
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: Respironics Flex setting

On the dreamstation when I used c-flex + I had it on setting of 2, when on a-flex on 1. Otherwise too much exhale. I tried the airsense 10 on epr settings and found the respironics a bit smoother between inhale and exhale and found it easier to breath in and out (more comfortable). On airsense 10 I had to have it on 3 as at 2 I felt pressure against me to push out, on 3 at times I felt I didn't get enough air. One of the reasons I chose the dreamstation is that I felt more relaxed in breathing. I do sometimes have that feeling its rushing me to breath but less noticeable now over time.
10-16-2016 01:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Ghost1958 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PRS1 Series Sixty Auto Aflex
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Eson
Humidifier: PRS1 with Heated Hose
CPAP Pressure: 10.5 min 16 max
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Moderate to Severe SA Obstructive. Rapid O2 desat off the machine.

The warning about ramp isnt applicable to the pr560p.
If you fall asleep and have an event during ramp the machine will raise pressure as needed, then return to ramp mode where it left off.
10-17-2016 12:30 AM
Dreams of Green Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Respironics DreamWear
Humidifier: None
CPAP Pressure: 7 - 13
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(04-04-2015 08:32 AM)VTSleeper Wrote:  Last night was my first night with my PRS1 Auto 560P. I set the "Flex" setting to 3, which provides the highest relief in air pressure for when exhaling.

My question is this: Is there any reason to have the setting lower? I feel like I am missing something here.

Your question reflects my sentiments perfectly when I started out. I think part of the reason for my bewilderment was that I personally found it SO much more comfortable on the highest settings that I didn't get why anyone would set it to something else. To me it was like having a setting called "pain" with an option of 1-3 Big Grin - "why the hell does the option exist, unless I'm losing something by using 3"?!

What I've found in addition to the other advice people have given is that some of us breathe much differently. Breathing out against the pressure was crazy difficult for me, so the 3 setting was a god send, in fact even that was difficult for me. But for some people it's very easy, hence the different settings.

Anyhow, my advice if you are just starting out is to choose the most comfortable flex setting for you, because right now being able to adapt and get a good nights sleep is most important. Once you're very used to it and it's easy to sleep with, play with it if you want to see if you can notice or experience an improvements with one setting versus another.

I'm still on level 3 after a year of treatment, and my AHI events which were 40 per hour during my sleep test are now consistently under 1 per hour and I've even had entire nights with 0 AHI. In other words, using the highest comfort setting does not stop you from achieving effective treatment - use what works best for you.
10-17-2016 02:49 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Respironics Wisp Mask Questions Dreams of Green 5 96 Yesterday 07:11 PM
Last Post: Want2SleepInMT
  Flex settings and hypopneas KSMatthew 4 190 10-21-2016 09:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [How to] Dreamwear mask setting on A10 sonicboom 4 117 10-21-2016 08:59 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  advice please for Philips Respironics DreamStation gobisubbu 4 583 10-21-2016 06:21 PM
Last Post: Bompa
  Setting up new Resmed S9 Autoset Lanco 11 358 10-20-2016 07:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamstation possible setting issue Sector001 5 253 10-14-2016 03:11 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Phillips Respironics mask resistance setting jmayer180 5 298 10-09-2016 12:27 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred