Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] Respironics Nuance / Pro Mask Review
RE: Respironics Nuance / Pro Mask Review
I just tried the fabric frame model of the Nuance nasal pillows over the last two nights. Very disappointed.

The Nuance pillows are lovely and soft, though the large ones are just barely big enough for my nostrils. But their softness is also a huge problem for the overall design. The fabric (wetsuit type neoprene) frame doesn't have any stiffening like the ResMed P10s do. That means the pillow assembly can easily torque with the least amount of movement, which it does because the super soft pillows do not form (and aren't meant to) a stable foundation. Even using the hose management at the top of the mask doesn't solve the problem. The swivel elbow and weight of the shorthose plus gravity are enough to cause changes when I change sleeping positions.

There are lots of perplexing design choices in the Nuance set up. Even the hose management loop seems poorly thought out. Putting a hose in it changes the fit of the head gear because of the way they attached the loop.

By comparing the Nuance to the P10s its clear why the P10s don't have a swivel - to help make the appliance light so it won't shift as much due to gravity. Now if only ResMed would improve the head gear they would have winning combo.

(At some point I may try to jerry rig some stiffening to the head gear because I'd love this mask to work for me. Perhaps some thermally resetable plastic?)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Respironics Nuance / Pro Mask Review
Over the years I have used at least a dozen different masks, most of which failed for one reason or another. For the past couple of years I have used the Airfit P10, but it has always been a love-hate relationship. I sleep on my sides, and I am also very active, so I roll over two or three times every hour. Getting a mask to stay on without leaking is a constant challenge. Add that I use a chinstrap, over the top of the mask to keep my mouth shut, and to help hold the mask in place. Yet I still have leak problems with the P10. And the worst part is occasional nose sores from the P10's pillows.

A couple weeks ago I contacted my healthcare people about a different mask, and they suggested a Swift FX, and they also mentioned the Nuance. They sent me the Swift FX and I tried it for one night, but it was awful. The exhaust vent was blowing air all over me, and when I looked at the results in OSCAR the next morning I was over the leak red line 23% of the time. I decided to order the Nuance (fabric model) and go back to the P10 while waiting for it to arrive. The Swift FX sits on a shelf and it's going to stay there.

Last night was my first night with the Nuance, and it was generally good. This morning OSCAR said I had zero leaks, even though I woke up at 5:30 am because the mask and chinstrap had both come completely off. Even while putting it on at bedtime I had difficulty with the top strap, because my chinstrap also goes over the top of my head, and the combination was apparently not very stable. I'll try again tonight and see if I can tweak the two to get a better fit. I really want this mask to work because I noticed that the pillows don't extend into my nose as far as the pillows on the P10. I'm hoping that the Nuance won't give me the occasional sores that the P10 does. And the exhaust vent doesn't annoy me with a blast of air like the Swift.

I'm wondering mostly about the top strap. I was considering the possibility of removing it completely, but then there would be no way to adjust the fit. We'll see what happens tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quest for the Perfect Mask
(08-27-2020, 04:34 PM)JJJ Wrote: << above >>

Reading your above post from a couple years back, I can't help but wonder how you're making out today with masks.

Regarding pillows, I'm an M size but upgraded to an L after many years to get a wider seal.  Ideally, a size between an M and L would exist.  I also found that nose cream under the nostrils each night would help a lot.

(Mouthbreathing) Having said all that, my greater problem is with sealing my mouth corners.  I've been a tape user for a very long time, but I've never found the perfect tape.  Anything less than strong tape presents outflow through the corners of my mouth, so even the strongest chinstrap won't solve that.  However, removing that strong tape each morning is problematic.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] ResMed N30 Nasal Mask Review (not the N30i) AndyB 17 10,147 02-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: getzall
  [Product Review] The Respironics Wisp Nasal Mask trish6hundred 75 74,223 12-16-2021, 07:56 AM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator
  [Product Review] Phillips-Respironics DreamWear Crimson Nape 56 61,124 10-20-2021, 10:41 AM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator
Thumbsup [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30 - A Comprehensive Review and Helpful Tips RayBee 17 12,920 10-09-2021, 06:14 AM
Last Post: berkshire17
  [Product Review] Philips Respironics Dreamwear Full Face Mask FLsleeper7 10 7,662 04-20-2020, 02:47 PM
Last Post: hmonnier
Wink [Product Review] ResMed AirFit N30i Review/Comparison with DreamWear srlevine1 5 8,577 12-13-2019, 05:35 PM
Last Post: Feedsack
  [Product Review] Resmed Airfit F20 FF mask review StevesSp 6 4,680 10-16-2019, 04:50 PM
Last Post: ragtopcircus

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.