Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] Respironics Nuance / Pro Mask Review
RE: Respironics Nuance Pro Mask Review
I stopped using the Nuance briefly to try out it's kissing cousin, the Airfit P10. That did not go well. When I returned to the Nuance, I got the non-Pro version.

Impressions so far?

Pros:
- the velcro on this one is much stronger than the other. Not sure if they changed it or if it is different on the full cloth.

- without the gel pads, it is more comfortable to wear.

Cons:
- it was very noisy. I fixed it by lowering the sides via the single top strap adjustment. Surprising how easy that was.

- with the other one, I just tossed the hose toward the headboard, tucked the climateline under my pillow, and that was that. But for some reason, this isn't working. Any tug on the mask hose and the mask comes off. Peels upward from the bottom and immediately wakes me. It is as if the mask's hose is different somehow.

Seriously, is there more than just the gel pad vs cloth difference between the two?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Love this mask! Been using it for the last 6 months. My previous mask was the F&P Eson and also a great mask for its style but I would experience the odd claustrophobic feeling and would end up ripping it off my face so I could breath. Haven't experience any of this with the Nuance. The only thing I would like to have on the Nuance that the Eson has is the exhaust baffle that clips over the exhaust ports which really suppressed the air flow from blowing on my spouse. With the Nuance, she really feels the cool air blowing on her and ends up waking me so I'll turn the other way. I do have the gel straps which at times feels like they're riding up in to my eyes, maybe I'll try the fabric straps and see how they feel.
Post Reply Post Reply
Adjust the top strap to lower the cheek straps. Then adjust the straps at the mask to make it fit again.

I had to do the same thing with the gel. The cloth one, which I have now, did the same thing but since it was cloth, I didn't notice it as much. But it wrinkled one night and I had a tender spot in the morning. Fixed it!
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi PaulaO2, Thanks for the advice. I called my provider to order a new mask (6 months is up) and he's now suggesting to try the P10. I'll see how it compares as I really like the Nuance. I've been on Apap for one year and this will be the third mask I'll be changing to.
Post Reply Post Reply
I went through a lot of masks in the beginning. I guess around 6 or 8. Since then, it's been about 4 more at least.

I tried the P10. Didn't like it.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
just got this Nuance mask to see if it was an improvement over my Swift FX mask which i've used without probs for a couple of years.

tried it last night and got a good seal, however, the mask makes a rather loud 'ssssss' only when inhaling. normal, low level sound during exhale, but a distinctively louder noise during inhale.

testing it this morning found it makes the same loud noise if there is no breathing (no exhale) as it does during inhale. noise appears to be coming from the plastic fitting from the tubing to the mask itself.

haven't seen this problem associated with this mask identified in this forum yet. anyone else experience this?
Post Reply Post Reply
I had to stop using it. It slips off in the middle of the night too easily. Maybe I never got it adjusted properly.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd send it back. It sounds like a bad swivel joint. I've had a few over the years. Not on the mask itself, but the others where they connect the mask hose to the machine hose.

This mask is not for everyone. Which is why there are so many different masks out there. Which is a good thing! I cannot imagine if there were not and went with the 'one size fits all' mentality.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
My Nuance masks have totally deteriorated in a short period. The back strap has some sort of glue stuff on it that got sticky and the side gel pieces came out while on vacation. I had to use Super Glue to get them to stay in their molds. I really enjoyed the mask when new but as I see that it is now discontinued on the ResMed site I'm assuming they were also aware of these quality problems. Not recommended for use because of durability problems, not because of design. I will try the new AirFit P10 nasal pillows that are now on the ResMed site. It looks like they are just producing the AirFits and the Swifts on their site for Nasal Pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, that's the problem I had with the Pro, too. The side gel things came out. Even with the non-Pro, though, that back strap is awful.

Other than that, I love the mask.

But if you dislike the headgear of the Nuance, then you won't like the Airfit. Well, you might. The headgear practically doesn't exist. It's a single strip that splits part way. One size fits all, allegedly.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] ResMed N30 Nasal Mask Review (not the N30i) AndyB 17 10,221 02-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: getzall
  [Product Review] The Respironics Wisp Nasal Mask trish6hundred 75 74,355 12-16-2021, 07:56 AM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator
  [Product Review] Phillips-Respironics DreamWear Crimson Nape 56 61,260 10-20-2021, 10:41 AM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator
Thumbsup [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30 - A Comprehensive Review and Helpful Tips RayBee 17 13,027 10-09-2021, 06:14 AM
Last Post: berkshire17
  [Product Review] Philips Respironics Dreamwear Full Face Mask FLsleeper7 10 7,708 04-20-2020, 02:47 PM
Last Post: hmonnier
Wink [Product Review] ResMed AirFit N30i Review/Comparison with DreamWear srlevine1 5 8,622 12-13-2019, 05:35 PM
Last Post: Feedsack
  [Product Review] Resmed Airfit F20 FF mask review StevesSp 6 4,707 10-16-2019, 04:50 PM
Last Post: ragtopcircus

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.