Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Trouble after 1 week
Trouble after 1 week
My first week was fine.
Now for last two nights it feels as though the machine is not providing enough air to breath with ramp and mask feels really suffocationg after 1-2 minutes.

Nothing else has changed except the room temperature (abmient) has risen quite high.

I just wanted to ask if other peoeple suffered this issue and if anyone has any suggestions.

First week was pretty easy then I just ht this "wall"

Any help would be very much appreciated.

thx,

Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Trouble after 1 week
I dont have an answer, but I am looking forward to hearing some input too because I have run into the same problem after 3 days. I was considering turning off the ramp function. Hope you get some ideas soon. oak
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-11-2013, 10:29 AM)smallwoodst Wrote: Nothing else has changed except the room temperature (abmient) has risen quite high.

Hmm... well, although warmer air is 'thinner' (less dense) than cooler air, the blower makes sure that you receive the right pressure regardless. What I don't know, is what effect it has on the air that you breathe in through the mask vents and whether that would cause you to feel this way. Easy way to test: keep your machine settings the same and go to a cooler room, or turn on the AC. Do you still struggle to breathe?

Coincidentally I turned up my minimum pressure last night from 4.0 to 6.0. It made a difference in breathing effort and was more comfortable while trying to fall asleep. I think 4 is too low.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know why, but this is fairly common. I had to shut my ramp off after about a week when I first started.

Why not just shut ramp off?

Post Reply Post Reply
I concur with jgjones1972. While the ramp was invaluable when I was getting used to the machine, once I started to get used to the higher pressure, lower pressures would just feel like there's not enough air.

What I did was the same as Paptillian and raise the lower limit ramp pressure so that it starts at a pressure higher than 4. That way, the pressure was high enough that I felt as if I was getting enough air, but low enough that I was still comfortable. Very soon afterwards, I simply stopped using the ramp function. What I found was that I only had to concentrate and force about 1-3 breaths against the incoming airflow before everything felt fine again at my full prescribed pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi smallwoodst,
You might try turning ramp off and see how you do, I had mine turned off and it works much better for me. It was great when I first got started with CPAP, but as I got used to the machine, I found ramp to be difficult to deal with
Of course, keep us posted on how things go for you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 107 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 207 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 44 1,871 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 5 487 03-09-2024, 10:27 PM
Last Post: phillyfan24
  [NEW USER] First Week - Help Getting Oriented rarmstrong26 4 203 03-05-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: rarmstrong26
  Finding right mask- 1 week in GOIRISH65 3 223 03-02-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  Trouble Breathing, take off mask and put back on, then no trouble? mogulman 0 235 02-13-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: mogulman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.