Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Respironics Remstar question
Respironics Remstar question
After reading post on do doctors hate APAPS I am wondering how can I be sure my machine is set on auto rather than c-pap? My other machine is easy to switch back and forth to. This one, complicated and I don't think indicated if it is. The little window did say A Flex disabled. What might that mean? Maybe if I am on c-pap and not auto that could account for my fatigue. BTW test all normal but my fasting glucose was 112 again like a few yrs ago. I have been eating a lot of ice cream and even switched to butter over substitute type spreads. My cholesterol went back up from 183 to 255! Ooops, I gotta fix that. No Lupus no low thyroid, nothing bad but what I just said. I suspect the meds I was on for the welts and fatigue. I feel way better today and plan to clean and wash the kitchen floor. Yes, cleaning can make me tired thinking about it. LOL
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Respironics Remstar uestion
A-flex is Respironics version of EPR - exhale pressure relief. Go to the Private files area and find out how to get the clinician manual which would tell you how to set the Auto part.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-P...-and-Links
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Philips Respironics Flex Family
http://flexfamily.respironics.com/

http://respironicsremstars.respironics.com/

PRS1 Instructions
http://www.apneaboard.com/pr-system-one-...structions
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-07-2012, 02:11 PM)Sleeping Beauty Turquoise Wrote: BTW test all normal but my fasting glucose was 112 again like a few yrs ago. I have been eating a lot of ice cream and even switched to butter over substitute type spreads. My cholesterol went back up from 183 to 255! Ooops, I gotta fix that. No Lupus no low thyroid, nothing bad but what I just said. I suspect the meds I was on for the welts and fatigue.

Many, many meds can affect blood sugar. Steroids, for example, are famous for inhibiting the action of insulin. Other meds increase your natural production of hormones that decrease the effectiveness of insulin. If your pancreas is already struggling to produce enough to cover the foods you are eating, the drugs can result in higher than normal blood sugars.

I can't find anything specifically on the topic, but when I started CPAP my blood sugars jumped dramatically. They have come down a bit, so I am hoping that eventually they will get back to what they were. And people say that CPAP therapy will lower the need for insulin, although in my case so far it has had the opposite effect.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-07-2012, 03:48 PM)JJJ Wrote: I can't find anything specifically on the topic, but when I started CPAP my blood sugars jumped dramatically. They have come down a bit, so I am hoping that eventually they will get back to what they were. And people say that CPAP therapy will lower the need for insulin, although in my case so far it has had the opposite effect.

That's pretty interesting because while I have noticed a severe drop in BP I have noticed no change at all to my blood glucose levels! Neither good nor bad. I'm pretty much all over the map anyway, but I can't say CPAP has had an effect on that. Now my Cholesterol and other such numers are WAY down, but that was me, all me! CPAP get's no credit here! I worked for those numbers! The only thing I have noticed is that my O2 levels are dropping at a resting state into the low 90s and my CO2 levels seem to be edging up. Damn asthma has been giving me fits! And no Paula, it is not a dirty hose! LOL!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey, took me nearly a year to figure it out! I ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer, ya know.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-07-2012, 08:11 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Hey, took me nearly a year to figure it out! I ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer, ya know.

LOL! It's just been a really bad year here for everyone with allergies and asthma. Not sure why, but everyone I have talked to with A&A says the same thing...bad year! Somehow those darned drug manufacturers figured out how to make it a bad A&A year, I just know it! LOL! Or maybe my doc is right. Do you know how many times I have heard lately..."at your age..." I swear someday he is going to need a doctor!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Respironics Remstar question
Mask up, turn it on and see what pressure it shows on the display.

If you use the ramp function, turn it off if you can figure out how.

When you wake up in the morning, or during the night, make a note of the pressure.

Tell us what you find.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,026 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 366 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 228 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 783 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 671 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,401 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  Philips Respironics DreamStation not reaching Max Pressure Xsoldier2000 15 2,292 01-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Tom Buck

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.