Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Respironics Trilogy for complex apnea?
RE: Respironics Trilogy for complex apnea?
Just before I go to my sleep doc and ask about a different machine to the Trilogy, I would like to make sure have my facts straight, so just so I am clear, no Respeionics machine is really suitable? It's important to know this as they have a contract with Respironics and getting a Resmed machine could get very complicated.

I found this:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/article...v-machines

and it looks there is one model each from ResMed and Respironics.

Why would the Dreamstation not be as good as the AirCurve?

If it is a viable option, is it OSCAR-compatible?

Sorry for all the questions, but it's a big decision, and telling doctors they are wrong is not easy...need to get my facts right!
Respironics Dreamstation Auto CPAP ay 8 cm. fixed pressure.

Resmed AirFit F230 mask. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's my two cents -- your results may vary.
I was given a Respironics ASV to use to start this "journey". After a year, I ended up with terrible sleep, and ended up having to take prescription sleeping pills to sleep. I thought I was supposed to be getting better, not worse. When my Respironics started to make popping sounds which it didn't previously, the DME sent my machine to get repaired -- 3 times. They loaned me a Dreamstation at one of the repair times, and they loaned me a Trilogy at another one of the repair times. The Dreamstation wasn't bad, but my sleep issues persisted. When they loaned me the Trilogy, I used it for about one week, and found it miserable to use, so I quit using it.
Tired of the repairs issues, I was able to get a Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV. My AHI numbers dropped, some nights I have an AHI of 0.00. It's been 7 months now, I still have sleep issues -- but I have more days where I feel like a functioning human. I've learned I've been using the wrong mask since first starting with the Respironics. So now I'm trying different masks and cushion sizes -- I'm also trying using 2 inch mouth tape to stop mouth leaks. I don't seem to be a mouth breather, but when the machine pushes air into me, sometimes it just flows right out my mouth. A Full Face Mask may be my next try. I do feel I'm making some progress -- but slowly. Tooooo darn slowly.
Since I'm still not sleeping all the way through the night (I'm typing this at 5 a.m. before I go back to bed), I recently switched back to the Respironics machine to try it. That lasted two nights and I went right back to the Resmed machine.
I have a sleep doctors appointment in about a week. She'll prescribe more sleeping pills -- and won't be any help at all in interpreting any data, or any help at getting a new mask. She'll tell me to talk to the DME, and they're a runaround too. It's amazing how something so important can be so futile in getting actual constructive help.
Post Reply Post Reply
The article you linked is surprisingly inaccurate and uninformed for a medical publication. Both machines use proprietary algorithms to provide pressure support as needed to resolve central sleep apnea. We cover some of the differences here in our wiki; http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...tion_(ASV)

This article from the Michigan Academy of Sleep Medicine takes a deeper dive into the differences and functionality and is a suitable resource to cite when discussing this with your doctors. http://www.masm.wildapricot.org/resource...Morgan.pdf

Respironics is very aggressive in obtaining exclusive marketing and distribution agreements with providers and DME suppliers. This practice reduces choices for patients and incentivizes monetary rationales for prescribing a machine, rather than professional medical judgement. I'll leave it at that, since you are experiencing the downside of this lack of choice.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 615 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,065 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,928 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 231 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [split] Central and Complex apneas with CPAP JohnCondor 3 281 02-16-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 787 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 675 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.