Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Respironics VS Resmed
RE: Respironics VS Resmed
I have tried both top-end auto-titrating machines and found essentially little difference when it came to my treatment and how I felt. It was sort of the Pareto decision -- 80% mask, 20% machine. I went with ResMed due to my sleep lab having all ResMed machines and a past history of reliability (since 2008 with the S8 Elite II.) I now use a ResMed AirSense AutoSet and am pleased with my decision -- which was made without any consideration as to cost. If you care, more medical studies are performed with ResMed equipment so its characteristics are well known.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-12-2016, 06:59 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: As someone who tried both machines, I have to agree. They are both great machines and there is really no way to determine if one would work for you better than the other without trying them. Since that isn't likely, then you just have to toss a coin.

The Resmed machine is a bit more aggressive than the PR machine. This wakes some people up. I have the Airsense for Her and that particular algorithm works very well for the RERAs that I experience. When I had the PR machine, it just wasn't enough and I was still waking up. After 4 or 5 days, I had to switch to straight pressure and THEN I got relief. However, with the Resmed machine, the auto works great for me.

I tried the airsense for her and liked it however for some reason I got gas and wind every time I used it and at times my breaths became more shallow, maybe the algorythm difference I am not sure.
Cheers
Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
My wife has tried both and she prefers the dream station. She likes that the Dream station doesn't move around on the bed side table as much and that the tube comes from the top of the unit rather than the back means that she can control the tube better. She seams impartial to the performance of the machine and they both appear to be good machines. From my observation picking the best mask for you will be more beneficial than picking the better machine for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-11-2016, 10:11 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: To see flow limitations on Resmed you have to get the for her model. PR machines have done flow limit and reras for yrs.

Not so any longer, my Resmed A10 provides flow limitation data.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Darn, I came to this thread hoping this would be a "Microsoft vs Apple", "Chevy vs Ford", "Coke vs Pepsi" type argument - and here everyone is playing nice - sigh...
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Suspecting that my DreamStation had gone wonky (that is another thread), I switched to my backup machine last night, an S9 AutoSet. Yes, that is a generation back from the AirSense but my understanding is that they are fundamentally the same inside).

From a comfort/breathing point of view, I noticed no difference (other than previously mentioned wonky DS). The AutoStart/AutoStop works a lot better on Resmed. It started with a Simplus FFM. Trying to get a DS to auto-start with the Simplus is like trying to suck-start a lawnmower. The S9 seemed a bit noisier, but I have not looked into it. The Resmed heated hose is much stiffer than the supple one I got with the DS. So, all in all, there are minor differences between them, but waking in the night I doubt I could tell one from the other.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-13-2016, 12:15 PM)chill Wrote: Suspecting that my DreamStation had gone wonky (that is another thread), I switched to my backup machine last night, an S9 AutoSet. Yes, that is a generation back from the AirSense but my understanding is that they are fundamentally the same inside).

From a comfort/breathing point of view, I noticed no difference (other than previously mentioned wonky DS). The AutoStart/AutoStop works a lot better on Resmed. It started with a Simplus FFM. Trying to get a DS to auto-start with the Simplus is like trying to suck-start a lawnmower. The S9 seemed a bit noisier, but I have not looked into it. The Resmed heated hose is much stiffer than the supple one I got with the DS. So, all in all, there are minor differences between them, but waking in the night I doubt I could tell one from the other.

Whats gone wonky on a dreamstation? Is it under warranty? I just bought one about a week ago.
Cheers
Steve

(09-10-2016, 11:35 PM)desertrat Wrote: Newly diagnosed here and will be getting equipment shortly. I am trying to decide whether to go with the airsense 10 autoset or the equivalent respironics device. So far it seems people favor resmed for reasons that amount to a superior therapy algorithm especially for folks needing higher pressures. I tested on a dreamstation with a full face mask and got my ahi to 2 from 33 pre therapy. My ahi is comprised exclusively of hypopneas with spo2 desat to 82%. No centrals or anything complex involved. Also my pressure is very mild at 8 cmh20. I felt dramatically better during the day following my sleep study and I am inclined to go the aforementioned equipment setup. Anyone see a reason for me to go with the Resmed unit ? Thanks in advance for your time.
Hi,
How did you go? Did you buy a dreamstation or resmed 10 autoset.
Cheers
steve
Post Reply Post Reply
I own both the AirSense 10 Auto and Dreamstation Auto, to me it's a matter of personal preference as both are great and each machine does somethings a little different. If you can try both, do so. If your insurance and DME supplier as both great. Choose the one you like best, if it comes down to out of pocket expense and you have no preference go with the machine that will cost less. If you suffer from allergies both have filters, but the Dreamstation uses 2. Don't count the mask cost, choose the one that's most comfortable for you. A Respironics mask will work on a ResMed and the reverse. If you have choices it can be hard, use what is most comfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
From a primary standpoint, I have for the most part ditched the ResMed units, except for the excellent new old workhorse S-8 Autoset II that I use for a travel machine.

I didn't like some of the weird Al Gore Rhythms on the ResMed S-9 (pulsing air when it thought I was not breathing when in effect I was consciously controlling my breathing (inhale, hold, exhale slowly to try and consciously slow and relax the mind) ..... Only to be further stimulated by the hammering bump-bump-bump-bump-bump pulses). I don't know if it did that during "normal" sleep, but when I wake up at 02:00 with my mind racing as to all the things I failed to accomplish in the prior day and all the things I need to accomplish in the coming day and all of the stress that goes along with that and the added stress of knowing I need every minute of sleep I can get but am being denied, that would be the time when the S-9 machines would attack me. I have never noted the Respironics 560 machines doing that.

Add to that, the Respironics machines operate on native 12 V DC power. I have a lot of 12 V equipment (batteries, chargers, switches, cables, connectors) for other things like power out emergencies (lights, radio receivers), field radio operations, power in the airplane for radio and GPS, etc. That makes it easy to power the CPAP/APAP with that equipment. The ResMeds will run off of those, but require an additional $100 proprietary converter so you get to pay ResMed AGAIN. They like getting paid AGAIN. I don't like paying AGAIN.

Now, in fairness, ResMed offers better support from the standpoint of putting out a battery guide showing what kind of power their machines use at different settings. Respironics will not discuss power consumption of their products at all. Which is OK if you have a little bit of applied electronics aptitude or can lug a big battery or are willing to try some experimentation to find the unit's battery sweet spot for the length of your anticipated battery usage.

Those are some of the reasons why I have drifted away from being a ResMed fanboy (look ... SO PRETTY!) to preferring Respironics equipment (works better for me, more friendly and easier to support from a logistics standpoint).

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,063 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 230 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 787 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 673 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,415 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  Philips Respironics DreamStation not reaching Max Pressure Xsoldier2000 15 2,296 01-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Tom Buck
  Respironics Recall Resolved Jeremy H 0 349 09-16-2023, 05:20 AM
Last Post: Jeremy H

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.