Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Respironics Wisp Mask Questions
Respironics Wisp Mask Questions
I received one of these today. I've only played with it for a couple of minutes, the one major negative I'm encountering is that perhaps due to the small size of the mask I actually feel cold air blowing over the top of my nose every time I inhale, almost as if it's creating a wind tunnel effect inside. Which feels cold and uncomfortable.

I experience this with both the L and XL nose pieces. I have always kept my hose heated to 75 degrees FWIW. But I don't know that the temp is even relevant to what I'm experiencing.

Has anyone else experienced this and were you able to eliminate it?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Respironics Wisp Mask Questions
I don't have this mask. The air around your nose is probably trapped exhaled (and warm) air. When you breath in, it gets scavenged from the mask. A good thing. You can try to seal off the nose area above the nostril. I don't know how you would do that but maybe a piece of felt on that part of the mask will slow the air turbulence. A "breath-rite" strip might help.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm back to my tried and true Dreamware for now. It's a shame because i love the way breathing feels on a nasal mask, but I also need it to be light weight, and the sensation of freezing cold air blowing against my nose with this mask is intolerable. I don't experience that at all with my larger Mirage gel nasal mask, but that's a catch 22 because it's just too bulky and uncomfortable. Might try one of the Resmed models instead.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you wearing the Wisp cinched down too tight? This mask needs to be not tightened so much. I had a little measuring device in my Wiasp package that you held under your nose to see what size you need. I have a small face and nose and wear the small/medium one, and have no leak problems.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've tried it both loose and tight and everything in between, with both L and XL (XL fits perfect and is what the little measurement card says I should use). I don't have any leak issues at all, I don't think that's what's causing the feeling of cold air being blown across the top of my nose. I think it's what Alan says. I don't know what to make of it, because I can't imagine people would keep the mask if they felt what I'm feeling, so I must just be lucky Big Grin. I'm going to have my wife wear it and see if she experiences it.

I don't really want to deal with placing something in the mask or on my nose to stop from experiencing it, so it'll probably be another mask that goes in the test bin.
Post Reply Post Reply
Honestly, I would try to loosen the straps as much as possible, and try the S/M pillow. Also, I would get rid of the white clips on the side of the mask, and just go with the headgear straps through the frame slots. I know this may seem counter intuitive, but to get the right fit for me, I needed to fit my mask while the machine was on, and the nasal pillow was inflated with the air.
"I am not a Doctor, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
I have this mask and I have felt that too. I figured it was just how it works, but it is less noticeable with the right size mask. I had used the small/med one at first but the large fits better.

It's a distracting feeling though. Having it looser helps some, and I noticed it more if I was congested.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 146 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,032 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 228 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 258 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 783 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 672 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.