Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Respironics Wisp nasal mask
RE: Respironics Wisp nasal mask
Just got the wisp. It comes with a measuring card. Based on the measurement, I tried the S/M cushion for a nap, and got a leak of 26 l/min. It "looked" very small. Just tried the L cushion overnight, leak went down to 18l/min and had an AHI of 0.03 (sleepyhead reported the AHI as 0.00). Now while I don't believe the AHI with the leakage I had, it seems promising. Will try it out for a few days.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the Wisp as well and LOVE it!!!! I have been using mine since January and my AHI is in the 1 - 2 range.

Glad to hear you seem to be having good success with it.

Sleep-well
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2013, 03:23 PM)GaryG Wrote: Just got the wisp. It comes with a measuring card. Based on the measurement, I tried the S/M cushion for a nap, and got a leak of 26 l/min. It "looked" very small. Just tried the L cushion overnight, leak went down to 18l/min and had an AHI of 0.03 (sleepyhead reported the AHI as 0.00). Now while I don't believe the AHI with the leakage I had, it seems promising. Will try it out for a few days.

Hi and welcome to another Wisp user.

I have had a devil of a time with leaks, although the Wisp is better than some of the other nine masks I have used over the past year.

I learned here that liners can help with leaks, but at first they made no difference to me. Then a rep at RemZzz told me to double up the liners and use water-based medical jelly (e.g., KY brand) between the liner and the cushion, and between the two liners, with oil-based face cream around my nose. That got my leaks under control, although I found better results using the same technique with the Quietus liners.

Right now I am experimenting making my own liners because the Quietus liners are 21.99 for ten, and the RemZzz liners are even more. At two per night that adds up pretty fast. I took one of the Quietus liners to a fabric store and bought some fabric that looked pretty much the same. So far my homemade liners are not working as well as the real thing, but I have been trying for only a few days so far.

Keep working on those leaks and post back if you have any breakthroughs. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I just got my new mask, it was a wisp, I was excited, it seemed easy, and no leakage at all last night. my AHI was 2.3, about 8 hours of use. the best ever in the almost 2 weeks of CPAP. I did make a contraption to keep my mouth shut, It worked great for me. I think I will look into a backup one, incase it starts to break.

I feel great today, and excited this mask fit better than the FFM.
Post Reply Post Reply
I got my Wisp in late January from my local DME. A few weeks ago the stuff between the two outer fabric covers broke at the point where you snap the clip into it. Respironics gives a 90 day warranty, so I took it to my DME. They called Respironics, who said to give me a new one and return the broken one to them. Respironics acknowledged to my DME that the first Wisp masks had a defect that had been corrected in later ones.

The replacement that I got from my DME looks exactly like the first one, so I'm guessing it is not one of the improved models. And now I see that Respironics offers headgear in silicone as well as fabric.

Last night my replacement Wisp broke, the same way as the first one. So Monday morning I go back to the DME. Sad If you get a Wisp I disrecommend the fabric headgear!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2013, 11:22 AM)JJJ Wrote: Last night my replacement Wisp broke, the same way as the first one. So Monday morning I go back to the DME. Sad If you get a Wisp I disrecommend the fabric headgear!

Mine and lots of other wearers experienced the same issue. Supplier 20 mailed me the silicone headgear and didn't require me to return the fabric headgear.

I'm having less issues with leaks with the silicone than I did with the fabric. I think it's because the fabric tends to move out of position more than the silicone.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2013, 04:09 PM)Acroflyer Wrote: I'm having less issues with leaks with the silicone than I did with the fabric. I think it's because the fabric tends to move out of position more than the silicone.

Thanks for say that. Moving out of position is the main cause of my leak issues. I was planning on asking for the silicone, but now I'm going to demand it!
Post Reply Post Reply
Do demand the silicone headgear, its a tad heavier and more rigid than the fabric but it stays in place a lot better. I've been using the silicone headgear for about a month now and prefer it.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2013, 11:15 PM)Cobra4x4 Wrote: Do demand the silicone headgear, its a tad heavier and more rigid than the fabric but it stays in place a lot better. I've been using the silicone headgear for about a month now and prefer it.

I called the DME Monday (yesterday) morning and explained that the second Wisp had broken. The Respironics people told them when they replaced the first one that there had been a "bad batch." In yesterday's conversation the respiratory therapist confirmed that the replacement one was probably from the same batch. Then I asked for the silicone one instead, but they were unaware that there was a silicone version available. The respiratory therapist who I was talking to told me he had an appointment with the Respironics sales rep for today and promised he would get me a silicone one. He didn't know how long it would be, but he promised to call me as soon as he had one in his hands. Meantime I'm limping along with a safety pin and spit. The holes made by the safety pin further weaken the inner material, so my patch probably won't hold up for long.

The Wisp headgear is made with an inner and outer layer of stretchy fabric covering an inner rubbery material. It is the inner material that breaks. The fabric holds things in place, except that it stretches making it difficult to get the right tension.

My DME gives me excellent service and fair prices. They're a large organization so they have a lot of clout with manufacturers.
Post Reply Post Reply
So, I received my Wisp on 3/22 with silicone nose mask. Very satisfied with it, except that I find that if you move around (from supine to side) the mask shifts and causes leaks. Can read in bed with this mask which is a great plus (I wear glasses).

However, on 4/8 one of the pieces of fabric-covered plastic hook holders broke. DME is sending new headgear. Disappointed in that, but ok with everything else.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,048 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 98 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 317 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,076 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,224 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 228 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 783 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.