Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Respironics no leak; Resmed huge leak
Respironics no leak; Resmed huge leak
I've been faithfully using Respironics BiPap machines since 2007, with a setting of 7/11.  (I don't know why the sleep doctor put me on a BiPap since I have no respiratory issues, but back then I didn't know enough to ask.) For the last few years, I've been using a Respironics System One (60 Series) Remstar BiPap Pro. The machine and Sleepyhead both rarely show any large leaks; the threshold for large leaks appears to be 70L/m on both the machine and Sleepyhead.  I realize that Respironics machines show total leak info (intended leak + unintended leak), while the Resmed machines show only the unintended leak.

I was having some fatigue issues (which ultimately turned out to be related to my diabetes medication), so my primary care physician wanted to do a new sleep study.  I did a two-night study; the first night showed that I still have severe apnea (i.e., 49 events per hour).  As a result of the second night, I was titrated to a pressure of 10 (with no BiPap needed); for the titration, the technician used a Resmed S-9.  The technician thought my Resmed Activa nasal mask leaked too much, so he instead put me on a Resmed Swift FX Nano nasal mask, and with that mask the titration was successful. I switched my BiPap to CPAP mode with the new setting of 10 and started using the Swift FX Nano mask.  My AHI's were typically below 2.   

I decided to get a new CPAP and decided to try the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, which I bought four days ago.  (I got the Autoset because it was only a little more expensive than the Airsense 10 Elite.)  To compare apples to apples, I've been using the Autoset in CPAP mode with a setting of 10.  The Autoset (and Sleepyhead) are both showing huge leaks (in excess of 35L/m) for 50% or more of the night.  I've used the mask fit feature and have always gotten a smiley face.  From what I can tell, the graphs in Sleepyhead suggest mouth breathing.  I sometimes wake up with a little dry mouth, but nothing like what would result from mouth breathing for more than 50% of the night.  The Autoset is showing an AHI of below 1, but I realize that could be wrong given the massive leaks. 

So what is happening?  Is the Autoset defective?  If I were mouth breathing to the extent the Autoset suggests, surely the technician (who used a Resmed machine) would have picked that up in my titration study back in early October, but neither the technician nor the sleep study report says anything about that.  I haven't had a cold or any unusual congestion.  It's hard to believe that the Respironics machine would somehow be that much better at managing leaks than the Autoset.  I don't want to start down the path of using chin straps or full face masks unless I absolutely have to.  Anyone have any ideas?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Respironics no leak; Resmed huge leak
It would likely be very helpful for you to post SleepyHead charts, so folks can help with questions while the data is in full view.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2017, 07:46 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: It would likely be very helpful for you to post SleepyHead charts, so folks can help with questions while the data is in full view.

The forum software will not allow me to post links (because I don't have enough posts) and the screenshots from Sleepyhead exceed the 200k limit for attachments.  Is there any other way to post screenshots?
Post Reply Post Reply
Arrange your charts and post to imgur. Once you get a address from imgur make a space in the address and post here. Example HTTP S://
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2017, 08:30 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Arrange your charts and post to imgur. Once you get a address from imgur make a space in the address and post here. Example HTTP S://

Thanks, I can't post images or anything else until I have four posts.

I've used a CPAP for so many years that the Resmed leak report was a complete surprise; not expecting that.
Post Reply Post Reply
You’ve got 4 posts now Smile.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can post the link if you put a space like I posted. We can than type the address in and correct it to download.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
This is the Respironics chart:

https://imgur.com/p6LVOHM

This is the Autoset chart:

https://imgur.com/znYXEbC
Post Reply Post Reply
Your chart need to be set on large icon. But from what I see you have a lot of leaking going on.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2017, 08:53 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Your chart need to be set on large icon. But from what I see you have a lot of leaking going on.

The point is my Respironics BiPap shows no major leaks, while my new Autoset shows massive leaks.  Why is there a difference, and why is the Autoset inconsistent with the results of a recent sleep study?  Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 2 31 57 minutes ago
Last Post: emile.leplattenier
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 2 56 7 hours ago
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 2 53 Yesterday, 12:27 PM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 80 Yesterday, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 181 28,811 03-10-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 219 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Help Interpreting Oscar Charts - Huge Clusters of OA Heaviside 3 350 02-22-2024, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.