Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Respironics no leak; Resmed huge leak
RE: Respironics no leak; Resmed huge leak
OK a couple of things. First there is a difference between the BIPAP and ResMed on showing large leaks. As you said the Respironics doesn't show large leak until it gets into the high 60's to 70's depending on the pressure being used. The ResMed shows a large leak on anything 24ml or higher on unintentional leaks.

The leaks your showing are probably mouth leaks and they are real. Why you didn't have a problem with the sleep center and leaks I can't answer. You either weren't having mouth leaks at that time or they just didn't bother to record them. Maybe they were running out of time.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2017, 09:54 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: OK a couple of things. First there is a difference between the BIPAP and ResMed on showing large leaks. As you said the Respironics doesn't show large leak until it gets into the high 60's to 70's depending on the pressure being used. The ResMed shows a large leak on anything 24ml or higher on unintentional leaks.  

The leaks your showing are probably mouth leaks and they are real. Why you didn't have a problem with the sleep center and leaks I can't answer. You either weren't having mouth leaks at that time or they just didn't bother to record them. Maybe they were running out of time.

Thanks very much for your response.  As you know the Respironics machines show the total leak rate, which includes both the intentional mask venting and unintentional leaks.  From reading posts in this and other forums, my understanding is that the Respironics machines can compensate for leaks until the total exceeds around 70L/m, and I rarely had total leaks above that level.  So one night I use the Respironics machine and I don't have a problem with leaks, and the next night I use my new Resmed Autoset and now I have a huge leak problem.  It doesn't seem to make much sense.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi sc4922,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck as you continue CPAP therapy and also with getting your new machine settings fine-tuned to meet your needs.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2017, 11:40 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi sc4922,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck as you continue CPAP therapy and also with getting your new machine settings fine-tuned to meet your needs.

Hi Trish,

Thanks very much for the welcome.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used to use respironics and I didn't seem to have as much problem with dry mouth and air leaks as I do with the air sense auto. The only thing I can think of is the nasal mask loses it stretch after a week and does not fit as well. One time I was sent  a little slide, kind of like on a bra and it tightens up the stretched out strap. I use that and it seems to hel
Post Reply Post Reply
Right he two machines are not setup in the same way you need to turn on EPR on the resmed machine with a value of 3 you may find that helps as it will make it easier to breath out against the incoming air. It will also be closer to the settings of the bilevel machine. However we may need to increase the max pressure if it does not treat all of your obstructive apneas
Post Reply Post Reply
To tell the truth I hate the way ResMed reports leaks. I'd rather have the total leak reported and be able to deduct the intentional leak using the mask guide lines myself. But that aside your leaks using the Respironics were high even though they didn't show as large leaks.

The million dollar question. Does Respironics actually handle large leaks better or is their standard for large leaks too loose?
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-13-2017, 07:59 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: The million dollar question. Does Respironics actually handle large leaks better or is their standard for large leaks too loose?

I'm not a ResMed-User - so I am way off anyway, but still:
As far as I understand ResMed the machines do NOT report leage leaks at all. That is the "software" speaking to you. You can set the threshold for the "leage leak" flag to whatever you want in SleepyHead (and SH is doing the "LL-Flags" based on that).

I don't know if the Philips devices do report a large leak or if SH (or 'the software') is doing that as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the responses.  The Respironics Sleepyhead chart that I posted earlier in the thread shows a maximum total leak of 66L/m, which is a typical leak pattern for the 10 years I've been using Respironics machines.  The Respironics engineers have configured the software on my machine to flag large leaks only if the total leaks exceed 70L/m, so I assume that the engineers have determined that the machine can compensate for total leaks up to that point.

The Resmed Autoset does flag excess unintentional leaks--if those leaks exceed 24L/m for more than 30% of the night, the machine will give you the red frowny face, which is what I'm getting.

Unless I'm missing something, in my situation, the Respironics machine appears to be able to compensate for the leaks I'm having (which I think result from mouth breathing), while the Resmed machine is not.  If that's the case, I'll just go back to a Respironics machine rather than dealing with chin straps, full face masks or mouth taping in order to use the Resmed Autoset.
Post Reply Post Reply
TBX, Actually both machines track large leaks. On the respironics it's shown on the machine display as Mask fit. In the ResMed you get the famous frowny Face. The data that sleepyHead uses to show large leaks does come from the machines.

sc4922, Here's the problem with just going by Respironics total leaks. The machine may keep up with the leaks but if all the pressure is going out your mouth how effective is the treatment your receiving?

I myself go by the sleepyhead 24ml redline which is based on Resmed's measurement. I think the guideline given the SleepyHead Guide here is a good one. Try and keep leaks below 10% of the Redline.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 24 3 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 235 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,408 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,042 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  flow rate and leak rate question sleepingbetterinFl 0 89 03-21-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 141 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 150 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.