Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Respironics system one CPAP - issue
Respironics system one CPAP - issue
I have a respironics system one, auto, aflex machine.

It is set to auto mode.

I noticed this machine is not really working as it is supposed to be. Here is the situation.

The machine start at a low pressure, and when I fall into sleep, the air pressure will increase as expected. Say the pressure now is 13.0... I woke up and the pressure will remain at 13.0 almost forever. This pressure of 13.0 will definitely wake me up completely. I will turn off the machine, turn it on and pressure is low again and I can fall into sleep again. This cycle of waking up, turning off the machine, turning on the machine, and sleeping again repeats.

I have a backup machine, same make, same model, and it behaves exactly the same. So I am sure the machine is not broken.

I would like to hear from members who experienced the same issue. Can this be a setup issue? I would appreciated your feedback very much!

If this is not a setup issue, is there a better machine out there that can sense I am awake and will automatically lowers the pressure?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Respironics system one CPAP - issue
Your profile says 8 minimum but what is the max pressure set at?  If it's 13 the machine probably is detecting events and raising pressure to that level and staying there because it is continuing to detect events and probably wants to go higher but can't because of the 13 limit.

Who set the machine up? How long have you had your machine? I see you joined 2016.
13cm may be too high if you just started out, I know it took me awhile and I set a temporary lower limit on my machine.

Oh, and we are going to want to see charts/graphs from your machine before making changes.
Post Reply Post Reply
The machine is set from min of 5 to max of 20.

Pressure of 20 has never been reached. I noticed this issue way back, I just let it go. But now, I believe that the CPAP should not behave this way.  I had a software to view the chart before, but I don't use it anymore. The machine keeps a log of information  gathered like AHI, max pressure. I just look at those regularly and make sure the AHI is within 2-3. 

I contacted the CPAP supply company that I deal with, and a tech will call me. 

So you are not experiencing the issue that I am having then?

Thanks for your reply!
Post Reply Post Reply
The machine will raise the pressure due to events and flow limitations and keep it high if that's where the pressure needs to be to prevent further events. The fact that you wake up doesn't change the machine from thinking you need that pressure. There is no home machine that can detect if your awake. Only the equipment used by sleep labs can pull that off.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't have that machine. No fun being woken up by a machine, and you have two doing the same thing. Ugh!

For sure, get in touch with the person in charge of your therapy. I don't know if you noticed but what helped me and others was to get the software and see what was happening, take notes and react accordingly. For most situations, we don't need the same CPAP machine to help you interpret your results.
Post Reply Post Reply
I understand your settings, to state specifically why your pressure does what it does we will need to see your daily charts, not summary data.  With the information you have provided we can only answer in generalities, not about your specific case.  

As stated if events are occurring your machine will hold a higher pressure.  Some of these events do not contribute to the AHI index.  Are you having this type of events?

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
We can help you to optimize the machine, probably higher minimum pressure, but also limiting maximum pressure so it is effective but not disruptive. Your PRS1 Auto works with #Sleepyhead software. Free program that you can download and use to better understand your therapy. Links in my signature describe how to organize and post your charts.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for you replies. 

Let me see if I can find my hardware for uploading the data to the PC.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello,

Thank you all for encouraging me to use the sleepy head software again!

Based on the charts obtained by using the software, I changed the setup to 10.0 minimum and 16.5 max and I don't experience the high pressure waking me up. It has been 5 days since I switch to the new setup and the issue is gone.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2018, 12:18 PM)sleepapnea101 Wrote: Hello,

Thank you all for encouraging me to use the sleepy head software again!

Based on the charts obtained by using the software, I changed the setup to 10.0 minimum and 16.5 max and I don't experience the high pressure waking me up. It has been 5 days since I switch to the new setup and the issue is gone.

Thanks

Glad everything worked out.  Lots of people need a boost in minimum pressure, but need to limit the maximum to avoid sleep disruption.  You're not alone. Hope you hang out and can help others to find what works.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 99 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,602 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,026 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 351,975 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,372 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  Airsense 10 / Oscar clock issue. pixpop 1 100 03-15-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: pixpop

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.