Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Respironics vs ResMed Differences
RE: Respironics vs ResMed Differences
One other thing that I forgot to mention.

I have run the S-9 Autoset and the PR 560. One thing that bothered me about the S-9 was its tendency to "hammer" the pressure with little surges - puffs - of pressure - bip bip bip bip bip bip bip bipbip bip ... sometimes when I would lie awake in bed, hoping to go back to sleep, because sometimes my breathing pattern is a little bit broken (intentional). Sometimes I like to hold my breath a few seconds before exhaling. Deep, slow deliberate breaths in, hold and then exhale. Kind of a relaxing breathing thing to help settle my mind when I wake up and it is going 90 mph and won't slow down- maybe kind of a meditative breathing thing. The S-9 machine seemed to sometimes go a little bonkers when I would do that and would start that fast pulsing airburst thing. Not so with the PR 560 Auto.

OMMOHY.
Post Reply Post Reply
OMMOHY, the Resmed was trying to snap you out of a central it thought you had. After 10 seconds of no breathing it will pulse. I too like to relax and breathe long when trying to wind down and sleep. I usually trigger it at the beginning of the night, and just ignore it in the stats.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since I used to scuba dive way back when I developed the habit of being a skip-breather, which still hits as I fall asleep - quite right, the s9 did play buggers with that, but the PRS more or less didn't.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2015, 08:12 PM)trailrider Wrote: OMMOHY, the Resmed was trying to snap you out of a central it thought you had. After 10 seconds of no breathing it will pulse. I too like to relax and breathe long when trying to wind down and sleep. I usually trigger it at the beginning of the night, and just ignore it in the stats.

Oh, I get that. They say "feature". I say "bug".

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2015, 08:10 AM)iSnore Wrote: I'm not sure, but I think I read there's a difference in leak detection, perhaps regarding "large leaks?"

ResMed throws away the total leak data and only reports its estimated "unintentional" leak. If the vent holes on your mask are plugged, or blocked by your arm or pillow, you don't get that data. You will see that true total leak data on a PRS1 machine. The PRS1 machine doesn't calculate intentional or unintentional leak data, but SleepyHead does.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2015, 08:12 PM)trailrider Wrote: OMMOHY, the Resmed was trying to snap you out of a central it thought you had. After 10 seconds of no breathing it will pulse. I too like to relax and breathe long when trying to wind down and sleep. I usually trigger it at the beginning of the night, and just ignore it in the stats.

Not on an AutoSet.

After 4 seconds of no breathing, the fully data capable S9 and A10 ResMed machines start "FOT" Forced Oscillation Technique pulses that attempt to distinguish a central apnea from obstructive apnea. It's a series of small pulses of pressure at something like 4 pulses per second.

PRS1 machines use a single pressure pulse, but the pressure is considerably higher. 2 cmH2O, I think.

Some people are bothered by the ResMed scheme, some are more bothered by the PRS1 scheme.

Useful links.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2015, 01:36 AM)vsheline Wrote: ResMed EPR is simple bi-level drop in pressure of 1, 2 or 3 cmH2O when exhaling. With ResMed EPR the pressure during exhalation normally stays low until exhalation completely ends and inhalation actually starts.

The information provided by ResMed about EPR gives you the impression it's essentially a form of bilevel, but if you look at the mask pressure graphs, it doesn't appear to be.

[Image: S9_EPR.JPG]

It sort of looks like the actual pressure is flow based in some form. I guess it could be some sort of limited rise time effect, but I never seem to see a flat top in the mask pressure curves.

Useful links.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to OMMOHY, trailrider, and especially to archangle for weighing in on this thread! That's really good info on the leak handling and breath pausing/holding. I do the latter myself and I believe I'd sleep through a single stronger air pulse than a bunch of persistent puffs.

It's also good to note that about the ResMed EPR. It appears EPR and Flex could be about equally effective, but neither is really a substitute for a true bilevel, even at small pressure support levels.

I just can't thank you guys enough for all this good info!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2015, 09:12 AM)iSnore Wrote: Thanks to OMMOHY, trailrider, and especially to archangle for weighing in on this thread! That's really good info on the leak handling and breath pausing/holding. I do the latter myself and I believe I'd sleep through a single stronger air pulse than a bunch of persistent puffs.

It's also good to note that about the ResMed EPR. It appears EPR and Flex could be about equally effective, but neither is really a substitute for a true bilevel, even at small pressure support levels.

I just can't thank you guys enough for all this good info!

Yes thank you!

I use clench and relaxation from toes to head and if I am lucky I am asleep before I finish.
When I do so consistently I can skip to the last step and out like a light.
Is there anyway to continue this and if so would one machine be more friendly to this technique?
Does one get to the point just putting on a mask makes one relaxy?
Maybe I ought buy replacement parts and a PLC and build my own PAP machine Dont-know
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2015, 09:12 AM)iSnore Wrote: It's also good to note that about the ResMed EPR. It appears EPR and Flex could be about equally effective, but neither is really a substitute for a true bilevel, even at small pressure support levels.

Flex and EPR are pretty much the same thing, from a user standpoint - you would not notice a difference between them and your numbers would not be affected by going from one system to another due to that question.

Neither is a substitute for bi-level CPAP should you require that, as it treats a totally different thing - Flex and EPR are simply comfort bells and whistles, not really vital to a treatment plan. Bi-level PAP is a specific treatment plan.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,063 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 230 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 787 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 674 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,416 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  Philips Respironics DreamStation not reaching Max Pressure Xsoldier2000 15 2,296 01-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Tom Buck
  Respironics Recall Resolved Jeremy H 0 349 09-16-2023, 05:20 AM
Last Post: Jeremy H

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.