Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Respironics vs ResMed Differences
RE: Respironics vs ResMed Differences
(04-17-2015, 11:01 AM)DocWils Wrote:
(04-17-2015, 09:12 AM)iSnore Wrote: It's also good to note that about the ResMed EPR. It appears EPR and Flex could be about equally effective, but neither is really a substitute for a true bilevel, even at small pressure support levels.

Flex and EPR are pretty much the same thing, from a user standpoint - you would not notice a difference between them and your numbers would not be affected by going from one system to another due to that question.

Neither is a substitute for bi-level CPAP should you require that, as it treats a totally different thing - Flex and EPR are simply comfort bells and whistles, not really vital to a treatment plan. Bi-level PAP is a specific treatment plan.

Thanks, Doc! That's great to know.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just finished a 5 month trial of Resmed S9 and was generally happy with it's performance. I now have borrowed a Respironics System One Auto machine and have tried that a few nights. In general I find no difference in the noise level, performance but several features have steered to an eventual purchase of the System One:

1. I need 12 volt capability (without using an inverter) as we live in the desert in our motorhome for 5 months each winter. This is the biggest advantage to me.
2. hose attachment point is on top of the System One making for less pinching of the hose
3. easier humidifier water level viewing

Disadvantages of the System One:

1. can't read daily AHI levels, it only gives a 7 day average. Have to load the SD card into Sleepyhead to do this.
2. Menus are not as intuitive as the S9
3. machine is much more utilitarian looking and boxy but I find this good for packing it for traveling.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2015, 11:15 AM)dozydave Wrote: Disadvantages of the System One:

1. can't read daily AHI levels, it only gives a 7 day average. Have to load the SD card into Sleepyhead to do this.

I could be wrong, but I think this was the case in the Series 50 but now the Series 60 shows 1 day wherever the 50 only showed 7 or 30.

Thanks for the comparison on quietness and performance!
Post Reply Post Reply
Correct, the PRS 60 series shows 1 day, 7 days and 30 days. But I still recommend Sleepyhead, as frankly just the AHI level is uninformative. Once you get used to reading the graphs and text on sleepyhead and get to know your own patterns, I would suggest stop using it daily and switch to a weekly routine, as you can then spot trends and be more comfortable about your level of treatment.

It should never be about numbers alone, but about sleep quality, and that has a lot to do with how you feel the next day. There are people who seem to make it almost a sport of obtaining a 0 AHI as if that is a holy grail - it is not, no one in nature hits that with regularity even when they have absolutely no SA at all. So one way to avoid this is to move from looking at the data on Sleepyhead from daily to once a week or more, once you have sussed your general levels, and barring of course a bad night which you may wish to look up the next day. I find I look up my numbers less and less over time, and now have to remind myself to load and check numbers after two or three weeks have passed (The only time I get more obsessive about it is when my heart starts playing silly buggers with me, and then it is more to see how an irregular heart beat is relating to my sleep cycle). Just my humble observation, not an Rx or a critique of anyone.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know what the water tank for the A10 looks like, but the ResMed S9 water tank is easier to clean than the PRS1 water tank. The PRS1 tank has lots of nooks and crannies that are hard to clean, the S9 has a smooth metal pan for the base.

When I switched from the PRS1 BiPAP Pro with Bi-Flex to the ResMed S9 VPAP Auto I didn't miss the Bi-Flex at all.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for those inputs, Doc and Sleepster!

I'll probably do the same with SleepyHead, Doc. Daily to weekly to monthly. I doubt I'll chase numbers below 2.0 - 3.0 and focus more on trends as well. CPAP will be a hobby for awhile, but then it'll just become a routine. Thanks for confirming the one day read-out on the 60 series.

Good to know about the PRS1 tank, Sleepster. Have you ever noticed anyone here dropping a denture cleaning tablet in the tank for a few hours to a day?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2015, 05:30 PM)Sleepster Wrote: I don't know what the water tank for the A10 looks like, but the ResMed S9 water tank is easier to clean than the PRS1 water tank. The PRS1 tank has lots of nooks and crannies that are hard to clean, the S9 has a smooth metal pan for the base.

When I switched from the PRS1 BiPAP Pro with Bi-Flex to the ResMed S9 VPAP Auto I didn't miss the Bi-Flex at all.

I haven't actually seen the owners manual for the PRS1 but I think I read somewhere that the water tank can be thrown in the dishwasher. Can anyone confirm?

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2015, 06:02 PM)dozydave Wrote: I haven't actually seen the owners manual for the PRS1 but I think I read somewhere that the water tank can be thrown in the dishwasher. Can anyone confirm?

I have seen that in the manual. Thanks for pointing it out. With the ResMed A10s, you have to buy a special dishwasher rated tank. I think that would only be an issue for the first six months if insurance will pay for replacing tanks with the dishwasher-safe one.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2015, 05:30 PM)Sleepster Wrote: I don't know what the water tank for the A10 looks like, but the ResMed S9 water tank is easier to clean than the PRS1 water tank. The PRS1 tank has lots of nooks and crannies that are hard to clean, the S9 has a smooth metal pan for the base.

ah, but the System One standard water chamber just goes right in the dishwasher. Shouldn't do that with the standard aluminium base of the S-9.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
The PRS chamber is dishwasher safe. However, if you simply used distilled water, empty it daily, give it a shake and then run the machine with auto-off set to off and the humidifier heater to 0 for around thirty minutes or so, the tank will be perfectly dried with no chance for bacterial growth - so using denture cleaners or regular dishwashing (yes, occasionally, but not every week) will not be necessary - added bonus, it dries the inside of the tube and nasal pillows as well, meaning you need only clean the nose inserts regularly and not the entire assembly. At first I was uncertain if that worked, so I took cultures from the tank, hose and mask regularly for a few weeks to see how much growth I got, and it showed that the results were pretty good - the tank needed to be given a tougher cleaning every three months or so (providing you are using real distilled water - then a drop of javel in a full water tank for ten minutes followed by a thorough rinsing with running water and a blow dry from the machine will do - apple vinegar also works to disinfect tanks, hoses and the like, but use only a good dish soap on the nose pieces, please), the hose every six to eight weeks, the entire mask assembly about the same - only the nose inserts needed cleaning every second or third day.

Even though I work in a hospital, I still had to pay for the cultures and lab analysis myself (couldn't hide it in the regular daily lab requests, alas) so if you follow this advice, do stand me a drink if I am ever in your neighbourhood.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,063 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 230 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 787 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 673 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,415 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  Philips Respironics DreamStation not reaching Max Pressure Xsoldier2000 15 2,296 01-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Tom Buck
  Respironics Recall Resolved Jeremy H 0 349 09-16-2023, 05:20 AM
Last Post: Jeremy H

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.