Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Respironics vs ResMed Differences
RE: Respironics vs ResMed Differences
I know it's an old thread but I can't find an answer to a simple question that fits in here.
Is the ResMed algorithm really as much better as shown in this video?

Post Reply Post Reply
GPSMapNut here's another YouTube video done by a PSG Tech explaining it. Not sure if it answers your question of what's better.

http://youtu.be/QaXfzgo0x4A
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2015, 10:34 AM)GPSMapNut Wrote: Is the ResMed algorithm really as much better as shown in this video?

I cannot reach that conclusion from the evidence presented in that video.

Here's an analogy. You test two toasters by putting bread in them and examining the results. Out of 100 tries you find an example where Toaster A makes toast perfectly golden brown and Toaster B makes toast with burnt regions and underdone regions. Ignoring the other 99 trials you show the video for this trial only and declare Toaster A as the one deserving of your purchasing dollars.

For me to be convinced, I would want to look at a lot more evidence. And, based on past experience researching claims of this sort, I know I can save myself some time and effort by finding out who the presenter of the evidence is, and what is his motivation. For example, if this video was paid for and produced by ResMed, I would take that as a giant red flag.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. That puts the first video into a perspective.

I wonder, what's their algorithm for lowering the pressure? I'm guessing that an APAP not only increases the pressure but also lowers it if the higher pressure is no longer necessary. Like, when a person moves from the back to the side, how long for each machine before it reacts to the lower pressure requirement?
Post Reply Post Reply
Despite what they would have you believe, all of the data is collected from a pressure sensor and a fow rate sensor. They do some pretty sophisticated stuff, though with just those two sensors. Raising the pressure is based on flow limitation. A change in the shape of the positive (inspiratory) portion of the flow rate graph can signal an airway about to collapse and so cause an increase in pressure. So can more significant flow rate reductions that are hypopneas and obstructive apneas. Once those subside for a while the pressure goes back down.

The details of the algorithms are kept secret. The units in which flow limitation is measured are a mystery to me.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2015, 01:15 PM)Sleepster Wrote: For me to be convinced, I would want to look at a lot more evidence. And, based on past experience researching claims of this sort, I know I can save myself some time and effort by finding out who the presenter of the evidence is, and what is his motivation. For example, if this video was paid for and produced by ResMed, I would take that as a giant red flag.

I got the distinct impression that ResMed funded that video after watching it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post Reply Post Reply
Details of the actual algorithms may be secret but, just looking at the SeapyHead data, users may be able to tell, how long it takes for the machine to lower the pressure. After all, if it takes forever, the whole "auto" part would be not much more than smoke and mirrors.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not sure if you watched the YouTube video link I posted above but I believe it is unbiased as the author of the video has nothing to gain to my knowledge from what you would purchase. ResMed's algorithm is known to work more aggressively than PR.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2015, 06:12 PM)cate1898 Wrote: Not sure if you watched the YouTube video link I posted above but I believe it is unbiased as the author of the video has nothing to gain to my knowledge from what you would purchase. ResMed's algorithm is known to work more aggressively than PR.

I did but, unless I missed it, it explains how the pressure goes up but it doesn't show much about the pressure going down.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2015, 06:12 PM)cate1898 Wrote: ResMed's algorithm is known to work more aggressively than PR.

I had never heard that before.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,026 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 228 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 783 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 671 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,401 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  Philips Respironics DreamStation not reaching Max Pressure Xsoldier2000 15 2,292 01-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Tom Buck
  Respironics Recall Resolved Jeremy H 0 349 09-16-2023, 05:20 AM
Last Post: Jeremy H

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.