Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Respironics vs ResMed Differences
RE: Respironics vs ResMed Differences
Hopefully someone can help answer my question. I just picked up my Respironics AutoSV Advanced yesterday. I have 30 days to change my mind, but the sooner the better. I'm not sure all the lingo yet, so help me with that. I'm worried that I won't be able to get used to this machine. I was originally prescribed CPAP 6 years ago, but could never use it because I was suffcoating with the constant pressure unable to exhale (not just fully, but barely at all!) I was over the moon when getting my Resmed AirSene 10 Auto-cpap 6 months ago ..finally a sophisticated enough machine that let's me exhale! I was happy for about a month until my follow up appointment in which my doctor said I needed another sleep study! I have central apnea probably complex, because the Cpap started to give me day time breathing problems even. (I have autoimmune issues, so constant air flow irritated my lungs giving me daytime asthma) Anyway I have very shallow, but long breaths. In the sleep study I felt like the ASVmachine was making me hyperventilate. It seems like the algorithm in the Resmed ASV might be better for me from reading. It seems that the respironics one, might start blowing pressure before I am done exhaling, aND make it very difficult on me. Also the seems the Resmed has more adjustability, like with the min/max pressure and the rate of breaths. I already lost my train of thought, but I am also concerned about Over-ventilation as well (because of the autoimmune thing, and the complexity of my apnea having not been very well explained to me) AGAIN I am a newbie (and still very tired) So please excuse me...but please do help! Hope this made sense.
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day SheNeedsSleep, welcome to the forum. I have the previous model Resmed S9 but I think the basic facts are still valid...

I trialled the respironics machine but could not ever get comfortable with it. It always felt like the machine was forcing me to breathe at its rate, not my own. With the Resmed, the machine follows my rythm and it's far more comfortable. Other people have had exactly the opposite experience.

The Resmed has very limited adjustments (you can of course set the min and max inhale and exhale pressures and pressure support limits) and relies on its software to give you the most comfortable experience. On the other hand, the Respironics does have a large number of adjustments, so you should be able to dial in the settings which are just right for you.

My advice is to try both for a couple of weeks, but work with your DME to get the Respironics set up as good as you can get it. Then decide which is best for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
The problem is, UCLA doesn't stock the Resmed. They never Rx it. I can't try both. They'd have to special order it, that's why time is of the essence. I've only been wearing this 5 minutes and it already hurts my nasal passages and throat/airway from the inward pressure and it's on ramp. It's making me nauseous too. And yes, it won't breath at my rate. K..10 minutes now, it's starting to average out, but it still hurts on inhale...now in my chest and I have a headache...like cold feeling. This is so different than my Apap. I loved that thing. Thanks for the response! Oh the burning! Isn't there some thing where it Jacks up your vocals chords! I really wish my doctor spent more time with me...he's the head of the dept, he needs to learn to delegate, and spend more time with his patients. The residents only do intake, I can't even ask them questions.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-22-2016, 07:45 AM)SheNeedsSleep Wrote: The problem is, UCLA doesn't stock the Resmed. They never Rx it. I can't try both. They'd have to special order it, that's why time is of the essence. I've only been wearing this 5 minutes and it already hurts my nasal passages and throat/airway from the inward pressure and it's on ramp. It's making me nauseous too. And yes, it won't breath at my rate. K..10 minutes now, it's starting to average out, but it still hurts on inhale...now in my chest and I have a headache...like cold feeling. This is so different than my Apap. I loved that thing. Thanks for the response! Oh the burning! Isn't there some thing where it Jacks up your vocals chords! I really wish my doctor spent more time with me...he's the head of the dept, he needs to learn to delegate, and spend more time with his patients. The residents only do intake, I can't even ask them questions.

If it were me, I would want to trial both machines. Afterall, this is something you have to sleep with for a long time.

Give the PR machine a chance. You only just started to use it. In the meantime,
get a copy of your perscription and try to find another DME to trial a ResMed.

Not sure what you mean by the burning. Are you using the humidifier? You can use the preheat option, so it's not so cold. That may help with comfort.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-22-2016, 07:45 AM)SheNeedsSleep Wrote: The problem is, UCLA doesn't stock the Resmed. They never Rx it. I can't try both. They'd have to special order it, that's why time is of the essence. I've only been wearing this 5 minutes and it already hurts my nasal passages and throat/airway from the inward pressure and it's on ramp. It's making me nauseous too. And yes, it won't breath at my rate. K..10 minutes now, it's starting to average out, but it still hurts on inhale...now in my chest and I have a headache...like cold feeling. This is so different than my Apap. I loved that thing. Thanks for the response! Oh the burning! Isn't there some thing where it Jacks up your vocals chords! I really wish my doctor spent more time with me...he's the head of the dept, he needs to learn to delegate, and spend more time with his patients. The residents only do intake, I can't even ask them questions.

Many ASV users report they find their brain fighting the ASV machine on when they need to breathe for a while. Most of them find out that the brain eventually surrenders and it changes from torture to pleasure after a while. Unfortunately, it often takes many days for this to happen.

Quite a few people have also found that changing the settings can make the ASV machine adapt to them much better, but I don't have a good idea of what to change. You could also try turning down the pressure ranges for the initial setup until you adapt. Unfortunately, both of those solutions require a caring and competent doctor or doing it yourself.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
From what I've heard from others, I would agree with the impression of SheNeedsSleep, that the Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV in auto mode is very good at matching the patient's breathing. The Philips Auto SV has more settings to allow for longer inspiration and expiration, but in auto mode it can take some adaptation. If UCLA were to special order the machine, I don't think you'd find yourself worse-off, and given you're already finding the Philips machine uncomfortable, you could be much better with the Resmed. No way to know without trying it. Maybe the UCLA sleep team would learn something as well?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OpalRose This machine doesn't have a pre heat option like my Resmed AirSense 10 autoset...I looked again after reading this. I turned the humidity up though. I was afraid to initially because The tech said I might have to get the heated hose and adapter because I get a buildup of water in my hose when I put the humidity up. (Apparently there was a lady who insisted on the Resmed option, and returned her PR (w/ heated adaptor), so I can have hers, he said) Also how do I found to another DME, this is an $8000 machine, my insurance is only going to pay for one. I used to have life care solutions and they are.the biggest A holes! I never got ANY help from them, everything was "consult your doctor" in 4 years I never got new hoses or a mask, once, nor knew that through insurance could be replaced every 3-6 months. I probably would have been able to tolerate my old old cpap if I could try another mask, but that required 'my doctor' and back then my doctor was the worst. UCLA has way better doctors and I am doing 1000% better with UCLA dme dept. I hear Apria is the same way, the only other company around me. Life care solutions also ruined my husband's credit over $40 they were not even allowed to bill for because I cancelled the contract (my contact, not his! ) years ago, AND my insurance paid anyway! (No new car for me..until next year and my car is pushing 200k)

My doctor is competent and caring he's just needs to delegate, and hire a more competent assistant. He handles everything even the Cpap orders himself. I know her cares or he would not answer his emails at night, on weekends and holidays. He just doesn't spend enough time with patients...and things slip through the cracks because he takes too much on himself. This is the only dept at ucla that runs this way. ..and I'm a chronic patient so I've been to most! I'm going to email my tech and see what he says. I'm pretty sure he already adjusted the settings down to the lowest which is 4/7. He says this machine is better, I'm just worried about over ventilation because all day my airway and lungs hurt from last night. I had to take my steroid inhaler and rescue inhaler twice which isn't normal and it still all hurt (and I'm on pain meds and antinflammatory meds for other stuff so that it h hurt through they meds worries me) I'm doing better today (this am) it seems you be getting to know me. We'll see. Thanks for all the advicen everyone! That other machine might be better. ..but I dint know hire to try it without delaying my treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
SNS, your machine is not $8000. It retails for about $3200 to $3500 from any online supplier. We have a member who recently acquired one for $750 through a 'gray market' channel. They do come up for a significant discount from Supplier #2 who specialized in used, reconditioned and open-box new items.

A heated hose for the System One humidifiers can be purchased for $75 complete with hose, power supply and replacement humidifier lid. If you want one, just order it from any of the listed suppliers at the link at the top of this page.

I don't know who your insurance company is, but I would be very tempted to part ways from UCLA as a DME and sleep clinic. You should have your sleep studies and prescriptions in your personal files. They are yours and you are entitled to the records by law. You can use those at any provider of your choosing. Your insurance company will have a listing of in-network providers, and its up to you to find one you can work with. Another option is Supplier #30 who provides reasonable prices and will bill insurance. You'll have to find out if they work with yours. Supplies, machines and everything can be acquired and maintained without the hassle you're experiencing or outrageous expense. You will however have to learn to play the game differently.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm really confused SleepRider, I think you misread my post, my frustration is with other 'past' DME, not UCLA...I'm not super excited to try them again..Also I didn't say I paid $8000, my oop was $0 because I already maxed out my oop for the year. I was just saying it's expensive. I was told (yes hearsay) that it was $8000, but $3200 is still EXPENSIVE for me to try a machine. I also never said I didn't have a copy of my sleep study, I keep copies of all my records, either online or in my files. This most recent study (of last month) I don't have, but it's as easy as sending my tech or doctor an email. They'd send me my Rx and study no questions asked, within 24 hours. I just dont see how doing this and going to another DME company would help. Are they just going to 'lend' me a machine to try out without any insurance verification or money down? I'm not experiencing any 'hassel' I'm just trying to figure out a way to proceed in getting the best therapy with the least delay in treatment. Other DME companies that are in my list of providers (as I already called my insurance months ago before even pursueing this) are as noted above, Apria, and Life care Solutions. I've had more hassel with them than ever. And my last non-ucla doctor aka the only in-network provider in my county, was a HUGE disappointment.

I'm doing ok, I just have questions about the machine and how to go about trying it without special ordering it. And re: the heated hose adapter, why pay $75 when my tech is going you give it to me for free? (It's used, someone returned it, they can't resell it)He just said let him know how it goes, he'll give me the adapter and order my hose. Yes my doctor is busy, maybe I shouldn't have chosen the 'head of sleep Medicine dept' as MY doctor, but my health conditions are extremely complicated so I find 'usually' the head of the dept, is the smartest and takes best care of me at UCLA (this is an extception, but he came highly recommended) I don't see how completely starting over will help me at this point. My insurance won't pay for another machine without me returning this one. A new doctor is not gong to know my complicated health history, and I doubt will go through a 4 foot stack of medical records to find out. I think I'll stick with the guy who eats lunch with my other doctors and has access to the database with all my records on his smart phone. Either way I need to send an email to my tech or doctor. I'm trying to decide if that should read "order me a Resmed' or 'send me my Rx' if there is a way to try both somehow, without purchasing both. Is there a way to try the Resmed in the next 30 days without paying for it? Will Apria or LCS lend me one, is that a thing? Obviously if UCLA had one in Stock I'm sure they'd let me try it. The other two companies work very differently, not being connected to a research hospital they could care less about my issues, they Sell equipment not care for patients. I've learned first hand with LCS and have heard horrible things about Apria. If someone knows different then please please tell me.

How can I try this other machine? Dumping my doctor I don't think is the solution here. Yes maybe consult another DME who has it in stock, but how do I go about that without returning my current machine, then waiting for my insurance to approve a new one? What if I hate the Resmed even more? Then what? I delayed my treatment and hassled myself for what? (I'm permanently disabled, so it would be a big hassel.) My insurance is who causes the longest part of the delay too...matter of fact since going to UCLA my insurance approvals have come much quicker because they make less mistakes on the paperwork than past doctors offices etc . LCS took 2-3 months to get an approval, UCLA averages 2 days to a 2 weeks, depending on the dept. So switching to another DME's could delay my treatment by possibly 3 months. You see my conundrum? Sorry for the long post I just wanted to clarify as it looks like I was misunderstood.
Post Reply Post Reply
I misunderstood and thought your current hassles and credit issues arose form UCLA. Thanks for clearing that up.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,063 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 230 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 787 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 674 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,416 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  Philips Respironics DreamStation not reaching Max Pressure Xsoldier2000 15 2,296 01-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Tom Buck
  Respironics Recall Resolved Jeremy H 0 349 09-16-2023, 05:20 AM
Last Post: Jeremy H

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.