Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Respironics vs ResMed Differences
RE: Respironics vs ResMed Differences
I'm just leery of going back to private DME because of past experience. Sometimes when I'm tired I don't make sense...plus I ramble no matter what! If there was a way to try both machines without billing, I might consider it, but as of now I'm not sure that's possible. Thanks for your help of course.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-21-2016, 08:15 PM)SheNeedsSleep Wrote: It seems that the respironics one, might start blowing pressure before I am done exhaling, aND make it very difficult on me. Also the seems the Resmed has more adjustability, like with the min/max pressure and the rate of breaths.

Hi SheNeedsSleep,

1. I think adjusting the Ti (inhalation time) setting longer (can be up to 3.0 seconds) would extend the time your machine allows for you to inhale. In addition, I'm not sure but I think also turning off Bi-Flex may allow more time to finish inhaling before the pressure starts dropping to help you exhale.

2. In general, the ResMed ASV model is FAR LESS adjustable than your Philips Respironics ASV.

The ResMed ASV is kinda like a "one size, fits most" machine, which works well for the average user. To me, you don't sound like an average user.

The ResMed ASV machines have no adjustability on the respiration rate (RR). None. When ResMed ASV machine needs use the "backup" RR to breathe for you, it will start at your recent breathing rate and then will gradually move toward 15 Breaths Per Minute as best it can, which is good for most people. Maybe that would be good for you, gradually helping to speed up your RR. Or maybe that would be problem for you, gradually becoming bothersome. Either way, it is not something you can adjust if using a ResMed ASV. But on the Philips Respironics ASV the backup RR can be set to Automatic or can be manually adjusted.

Pressure Support (PS) is the boost in pressure added when we are inhaling. Whenever the machine determines we have stopped or reduced our breathing, the ASV will automatically adjust the PS higher to help us breathe more deeply. We set a Min PS value and a Max PS value, and the machine will automatically adjust itself within these limits.

With ResMed ASV the pressure is less adjustable, because the Max Pressure Support (Max PS) cannot be set less than 5 higher than the Min PS.

For example, if the pressure during exhalation (EPAP) is 4, and the Min PS is 3, and Max PS is 8 (must be at least five higher than Min PS if using ResMed ASV), the min pressure during inhalation (IPAP) would be 7, and as we exhale and inhale the pressure would cycle between 4 and 7. When the ASV machine automatically raises the Pressure Support value to help counteract a sudden decrease in our breathing, it may raise PS to 8 (the Max PS in this example), and as we exhale and inhale the pressure may cycle between 4 and 12. If you find that high pressure causes you problems, on a Philips Respironics ASV you could turn down the Max PS by 1 (for example) and leave Min PS at unchanged at 3. But on a ResMed ASV the Min PS needs to stay at least 5 lower than Max PS, so you would need to reduce Min PS, too. The lower Min PS is, the less easy it it is to exhale.

On a ResMed ASV, if you discover that when first starting ASV therapy, you cannot tolerate higher IPAP than 9, turning down Max PS to 5 (the lowest it can be on a ResMed ASV) would mean you would need to lower Min PS to 0 on a ResMed ASV, resulting in sometimes getting no pressure relief when exhaling, which could be uncomfortable while trying to fall asleep. If Min EPAP is 4, Min PS is 0 and Max PS is 5, while trying to fall asleep the pressure during inhalation and exhalation would be the same, unless the machine automatically raises PS because it senses a sudden drop in your breathing.

Also, your Philips Respironics ASV has many settings for which the ResMed ASV does not provide any manual adjustability.

There is a chance that you may prefer the ResMed ASV, but there is also the chance that you can adjust your Philips Respironics ASV machine to be more comfortable for you than a ResMed ASV would be.

Can you use the instructions in the setup manual (Provider Manual) to look at the settings for your machine and let us know the present settings? You can request by email the Provider Manual for your machine by carefully following the directions given here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Max Pressure:
EPAP Min:
EPAP Max:
PS Min:
PS Max:
BPM:
Ti:
Flex Type:
Bi-Flex amount:
Rise Time:
Ramp Time:
Ramp Start:

Definitions for the settings (as listed in 2010 version of the Provider Manual):
• Max pressure - This screen displays the current Maximum pressure setting. You can adjust the setting from 4 to 25 cm H2O in 0.5 increments.
• EPAP min - This screen allows you to modify the Minimum EPAP setting. The setting specified here will be the minimum level of pressure applied during the expiratory breath phase. You may adjust the setting from 4 cm H2O to the Maximum pressure setting.
• EPAP max - This screen allows you to modify the Maximum EPAP setting. The setting you specify here will be the maximum level of pressure applied during the expiratory breath phase. You may adjust the setting from the Minimum EPAP setting to the Maximum pressure setting.
• PS min - This screen allows you to modify the Minimum Pressure Support setting. This setting is the minimum difference that is permitted between IPAP and EPAP. You may adjust the setting from 0 cm H2O to the difference between the maximum pressure setting minus the maximum EPAP setting.
• PS max - This screen allows you to modify the Maximum Pressure Support setting. The maximum pressure support is the maximum difference that is permitted between IPAP and EPAP. You may adjust the setting from PS min to the difference between the maximum pressure setting minus the minimum EPAP setting.
• BPM - This screen allows you to modify the Breaths Per Minute setting. You can choose between Off, Auto, or 4 through 30 in 1 BPM increments.
Note: This setting only displays if PS max is greater than zero.
• Ti - This screen allows you to modify the Inspiratory Time setting. You may adjust the setting from 0.5 to 3.0 seconds in 0.1 increments. This setting only displays if PS max is greater than zero and BPM is not set to Off or Auto.
• Flex type - This screen displays the comfort mode setting. You can select None or Bi-Flex.
• Bi-Flex - You can modify the Flex setting (1, 2 or 3) on this screen if you enabled Bi-Flex. The Bi-Flex comfort feature allows you to adjust the level of air pressure relief that the patient feels when exhaling during therapy. The setting of “1” provides a small amount of pressure relief, with higher numbers providing additional relief.
• Rise time - Rise time is the time it takes for the device to change from the expiratory pressure setting to the inspiratory pressure setting. This screen allows you to adjust the rise time so you can find the desired setting. A setting of “0” is the fastest rise time, while “3” is the slowest. This is only available if Flex type is set to None and PS max is greater than zero.
• Ramp time - This enables you to modify the Ramp time setting in 5 minute increments. The range for this setting is 0 (off) to 45 minutes.
Note: This setting only displays if EPAP min is greater than 4 cm H2O.
• Ramp start - You can increase or decrease the ramp starting pressure in 0.5 cm H2O increments. You may adjust the setting from 4 cm H2O to the EPAP min setting.
Note: This setting only displays if Ramp time is not zero and EPAP min is greater than 4 cm H2O.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Vaughn OMG, thank you for that WEALTH of information. When I go upstairs, I can definitely look up most of that I think. Off the top of my head biflex is 3 and ramp time is 45mins, and ramp start is 4 (and when I inhale the number changes to 7 - would that be IPAP?)... that's all I can remember. I will get back to you Smile Thanks so so so much!
Post Reply Post Reply
EPAP Min: 7.0
EPAP Max: 15.0
PS Min: 3
PS Max: 8
BPM: auto
Ti:
Flex Type: Bi-Flex?
Bi-Flex amount: 3
Rise Time: n/a?
Ramp Time: 45min
Ramp Start: 4

That's what I can see on my own. I'll get the manual or ask my tech, whichever is quicker.
Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2015, 06:29 AM)iSnore Wrote: My sleep doctor normally writes Respironics, but said if I'd prefer ResMed, he's good with that. I've scoured the 'net for some differences, and here's what I've come up with. Please let me know if any of these are wrong, or if there are additional differences I've missed. Thanks!

Phillips Respironics Series One Model 60 CPAPs
Made in the USA
Been out for a couple of years
More conservative/slower auto algorithm
BiPap Auto algorithm varies PS
ASV model allows more tweaking
12 Volts DC - works direct with car, RV, boat battery
No cellphone modem, more private
11" wide x 7" deep footprint
Swivel hose on top
Industrial looking
Monochrome LCD Display on top

ResMed Airsense/AirCurve 10 CPAPs
Made in Australia
Been out less than a year
More aggressive/faster auto algorithm
AutoV bilevel algorithm doesn't vary PS
ASV model mostly automatic
24 Volts DC - requires converter for car, RV, boat battery
Cellphone modem transfers your data to Big Brother
10" wide by 6" deep footprint
Swivel hose on back
Consumer product looking
Color LCD display on front

Hello, I joined this board just to reply to this thread! I have experienced both machines ASV. I have been an ASV user for 3 years now and have a Resmed S9 ASV I have both obstructive and central apneas, and in South Australia was prescribed the resmedS9 after a try out of the respironics which did not treat my apneas as well, i still had a AHI of 15 with respironics and between 1-2 AHI with resmed. Then I recently moved interstate and the hospital here supplies with respironics ASV, not resmed.....BIG difference!! while the resmed was gentle in forcing breaths and I could hardly feel the air going in, in fact sometimes I lifted my mask just to make sure it was on, so resmed is very gentle. With the Respironics ASV the mask is sucked onto my face on and off with every breath, it is almost impossible to fall asleep without taking phenergan, it is forceful with the breaths and very noisy, even with ramping for 20 minutes, I still cant fall asleep and it wakes me up during the night with the force of the breaths. I am so upset that they changed machines on me. The resmed is definitely the Rolls Royce of the ASV machines.
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day Flocof, welcome to Apnea Board.

I had a similar experience with the Resmed being a much gentler and smoother machine than the Philips. However the Philips does have a range of additional adjustments (eg flex, t/i) etc which might make it more comfortable for you. Read Vaughan's post above which gives a lot more detail about the comfort features of the machines.

Good luck!

Post Reply Post Reply

[/quote]

Hello, I joined this board just to reply to this thread! I have experienced both machines ASV. I have been an ASV user for 3 years now and have a Resmed S9 ASV I have both obstructive and central apneas, and in South Australia was prescribed the resmedS9 after a try out of the respironics which did not treat my apneas as well, i still had a AHI of 15 with respironics and between 1-2 AHI with resmed. Then I recently moved interstate and the hospital here supplies with respironics ASV, not resmed.....BIG difference!! while the resmed was gentle in forcing breaths and I could hardly feel the air going in, in fact sometimes I lifted my mask just to make sure it was on, so resmed is very gentle. With the Respironics ASV the mask is sucked onto my face on and off with every breath, it is almost impossible to fall asleep without taking phenergan, it is forceful with the breaths and very noisy, even with ramping for 20 minutes, I still cant fall asleep and it wakes me up during the night with the force of the breaths. I am so upset that they changed machines on me. The resmed is definitely the Rolls Royce of the ASV machines.
[/quote]

I'm having the exact same problem. I've tried messing with the setting, changing masks (3 different) no matter what, I have trouble falling asleep unless I can time my breaths exactly right not to feel the pressure ...meaning breath faster than the machine. It's so frustrating! The pressure hurts! It wakes me up. It's so rough! As far as feeling the mask go up and down with your breaths, I remember that tightening the mask seem to help, but then it was so tight that it hurt my face! I'm so sorry, I feel your pain!
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-21-2016, 08:15 PM)SheNeedsSleep Wrote: Hopefully someone can help answer my question. I just picked up my Respironics AutoSV Advanced yesterday. I have 30 days to change my mind, but the sooner the better. I'm not sure all the lingo yet, so help me with that. I'm worried that I won't be able to get used to this machine. I was originally prescribed CPAP 6 years ago, but could never use it because I was suffcoating with the constant pressure unable to exhale (not just fully, but barely at all!) I was over the moon when getting my Resmed AirSene 10 Auto-cpap 6 months ago ..finally a sophisticated enough machine that let's me exhale! I was happy for about a month until my follow up appointment in which my doctor said I needed another sleep study! I have central apnea probably complex, because the Cpap started to give me day time breathing problems even. (I have autoimmune issues, so constant air flow irritated my lungs giving me daytime asthma) Anyway I have very shallow, but long breaths. In the sleep study I felt like the ASVmachine was making me hyperventilate. It seems like the algorithm in the Resmed ASV might be better for me from reading. It seems that the respironics one, might start blowing pressure before I am done exhaling, aND make it very difficult on me. Also the seems the Resmed has more adjustability, like with the min/max pressure and the rate of breaths. I already lost my train of thought, but I am also concerned about Over-ventilation as well (because of the autoimmune thing, and the complexity of my apnea having not been very well explained to me) AGAIN I am a newbie (and still very tired) So please excuse me...but please do help! Hope this made sense.

Hi there, I also have complex sleep apnea, it was a long process to diagnose, much insistance on my part that 15-20 AHI was not acceptable....finally was diagnosed properly and prescribed an ASV machine, at first I was loaned the respironics machine, but i just could not get used to it, then I was loaned a Resmed S9 ASV and it was so much easier, gentler to use and quieter. I hardly felt it and it was easy to get to sleep. Years later, I moved interstate (australia) and the hospital here loaned me a respironics same ASV prescription etc. but I just cant get used to it, it is noisy, the air pushed is very harsh and the mask is sucked onto my face with every breath, it is just awful...So to me, the difference is like the Resmed is the Rolls royce, and the respironics is the utility truck. My experience may not be the same as everyone else.
Post Reply Post Reply

[/quote]

I'm having the exact same problem. I've tried messing with the setting, changing masks (3 different) no matter what, I have trouble falling asleep unless I can time my breaths exactly right not to feel the pressure ...meaning breath faster than the machine. It's so frustrating! The pressure hurts! It wakes me up. It's so rough! As far as feeling the mask go up and down with your breaths, I remember that tightening the mask seem to help, but then it was so tight that it hurt my face! I'm so sorry, I feel your pain!
[/quote]

Are you in the US? I have ordered in the past a machine from "secondwind cpap" when i was first diagnosed before my subsequent complex diagnosis, and I bought an open box brand new machine and the price was less than half the price in Australia. So if I cant get the resmed on loan here, I will buy one from them again. They offered great service.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes I'm in the US. I'm on disability. I can't afford to buy one even at half price.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,065 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 231 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 787 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 675 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,419 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  Philips Respironics DreamStation not reaching Max Pressure Xsoldier2000 15 2,297 01-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Tom Buck
  Respironics Recall Resolved Jeremy H 0 349 09-16-2023, 05:20 AM
Last Post: Jeremy H

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.